U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2014, 08:12 PM

2 posts, read 5,296 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Just been hired on as a professor at HPU (starting this August), and I'm interested in living in downtown High Point. Something like an above-storefront loft or apartment. I've spent the last few weeks trying to search for options -- I've even "Google mapped" myself up and down the streets, looking for 'For Lease' signs in second-story windows -- but to no avail.

I'd be grateful for a point in the right direction -- any idea on how best to find out what the downtown living options are?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 11:01 AM

42 posts, read 61,887 times
Downtown High Point thrives on furniture market twice a year, any other time of the year it is very quiet. I don't know of any living quarters that are rented out in the downtown area. Most people that work in High Point live in areas surrounding downtown. You would have to go to Greensboro or Winston Salem to find what you are looking for neither locations are considered far from High Point. If you need more information send me a private message be glad to help.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:39 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,104,088 times
Congrats on the job, OP! But as kwarm said, I'm not aware of any living quarters in downtown HP like you're looking for.

Do you specifically want to be in downtown HP, or is it the above-storefront situation what you're looking for?

Old 01-14-2014, 01:27 PM

2 posts, read 5,296 times
Hello again:

Good question -- I suppose I'd prefer an "above-storefront" or "loft-esque" living condition more than I'd prefer to be downtown. They've just gone hand-in-hand, in my experience.

Bottom line for me is that I don't want to mess with a house, and the thought of living in a huge apartment complex makes my stomach hurt.

I also figure that I'm committed to living in High Point -- as cool as the Nissen Building in Winston-Salem looks. I'd like to be active in the university life, so I ought to be close to it.

Thank you!

Old 01-14-2014, 03:25 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,104,088 times
Is there really much "university life" off campus? I don't know - just wondering. I don't see a lot of students, but I'm usually just shopping when I'm in HP. It seems like a very self-contained campus.

The mixed-use (residential over retail, etc) is certainly most common in urban areas, which HP doesn't really have. I worked for a developer than built such a property in a suburban area, but that won't do you any good since it was outside of Portland, Oregon. lol

Hope you find what you're looking for; sorry I can't be of any real help.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:44 PM

302 posts, read 536,988 times
I attend market twice every year. There used to be condos on the upper floors of Market Square Tower. I know there are showrooms on some of the lower floors, and I think that BB&T leases some space also in the building? You might look into it. The building is on Lindsay, which runs parallel with Elm and Main Streets, and is adjacent to Market Suites.

I do know that Winston-Salem has the most built or planned housing in the downtown area of any of the Triad cities, including purchase or leasable.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:24 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,304,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeDestruction View Post
Hello,

Just been hired on as a professor at HPU (starting this August), and I'm interested in living in downtown High Point. Something like an above-storefront loft or apartment. I've spent the last few weeks trying to search for options -- I've even "Google mapped" myself up and down the streets, looking for 'For Lease' signs in second-story windows -- but to no avail.

I'd be grateful for a point in the right direction -- any idea on how best to find out what the downtown living options are?

Thanks!
I thought this was a gag when I read the post title. If you want to live downtown HP I suggest checking with the realtors association and/or the Chamber of Commerce.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeDestruction View Post
Hello again:

Good question -- I suppose I'd prefer an "above-storefront" or "loft-esque" living condition more than I'd prefer to be downtown. They've just gone hand-in-hand, in my experience.

Bottom line for me is that I don't want to mess with a house, and the thought of living in a huge apartment complex makes my stomach hurt.

I also figure that I'm committed to living in High Point -- as cool as the Nissen Building in Winston-Salem looks. I'd like to be active in the university life, so I ought to be close to it.

Thank you!
You will discover HPU is a very, very nice compound with it's huge brick and rail fence that screams "keep out!"
Although HPU has exploded in growth in recent years the city surrounding the campus has little to offer.
Good luck to you!

Old 06-28-2014, 09:29 PM

20 posts, read 28,756 times
Is High Point a good place to live for retireeswho are relocating from out of state and how far are the NC beaches? Is it drivable or would it require a weeks stay at some rental property?

Old 06-28-2014, 09:38 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,304,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawarebigguy51 View Post
Is High Point a good place to live for retireeswho are relocating from out of state and how far are the NC beaches? Is it drivable or would it require a weeks stay at some rental property?
It depends on what you are looking for in a city. As for the beach count on 4 hours behind the wheel from High Point- one way. With that in mind if you plan to frequent the coast I would relocate further east.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:33 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,923,777 times
Lofts and downtown living aren't completely unheard of in High Point:

212 N Main Street, High Point, NC 27260
REALTOR.com - Real estate listings & homes for sale

I'm not all that familiar with High Point, but there are enough historic buildings downtown that I'm sure you could find what you're looking for...loft conversions can easily be found in much smaller cities than High Point. But you would find gobs of them in downtown Winston-Salem or Greensboro. Either would create a 15 minute commute for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point