Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 11:53 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margo30 View Post
I posted some questions on moving to NC in another part of the forum and I have to say that 90% of the responses were negative. People said it is hard to get jobs (one person said "because of all you people from up north moving here"), some said it's boring, cost of living is not that great etc.

Can anyone in this area please give some positive information? My husband and I, along with my two children have decided to leave the Chicagoland area. We are SICK of the weather, the high cost of living and the 1hr + commutes to work and the in general closed off feeling of the people here. Neither of us have any ties to the area.

We love the outdoors, camping, hiking etc. I would love to be able to drive to the beach for the weekend Visit the historic sites in the surrounding areas. We decided that North Carolina would be the best all around state.

He has begun to send out resumes and I will soon. We are hoping to find something by August before the kids start school again. Are we being unrealistic? I am quite a bit disheartened after the response from the other forum.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Well the best advice I could give is believe the negative more than the positive, this way you are not setting yourself up for major disappointment.

I hope before you move you have a job. NC unemployment rate is still high and it is also high nationally as recently reported. The unemployment rate nationally has dropped, but only because so many people gave up looking for work. That is just reality.

You will run into nice people and rude people here depending on their mood, the same as anywhere.

NC has seen major growth over the past several years and major population increases. Unfortunately, the recession hit NC very hard...but people from all over the country continue to move here and the economy struggles to add jobs so the math just isn't adding up for major job growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 04:42 AM

106 posts, read 229,518 times
I may have missed it, but what is your job area? That will determine how hard it is to find a job.

I live in Greensboro. I moved here from Cleveland in 1997.

The job market is much slimmer here than Charlotte, Raleigh.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:26 PM

17 posts, read 25,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierced View Post
I may have missed it, but what is your job area? That will determine how hard it is to find a job.

I live in Greensboro. I moved here from Cleveland in 1997.

The job market is much slimmer here than Charlotte, Raleigh.
I am currently an HR Generalist and I work for a company that owns assisted living communities in and around the Chicagoland area. I really like my job and would like to find something similar in the same industry if possible.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:40 AM

774 posts, read 1,857,502 times
Default It's hard to let go of a "dream"

I've only been here for three months and wow ... is it really a culture shock.
There's a lot of layers to peel ... and the more I peel, the more I see that the cultural dynamics of the Triad are pretty much the same as in every other place I've lived... it just LOOKS, sounds, and feels so different.

I hope you notice that people are continually telling you NOT to come here unless you have a job and that jobs are difficult to find even for people born and raised here. You really, really, really need to accept that. There are a lot of under-employed people who can be grumpy if you enter looking just a tad bit too happy.

When the economy stinks, people tend to react pretty much the same everywhere.
Jealousy, envy, and mean-spiritedness can come at you out of nowhere.

I watched a YouTube video on social penetration and became aware of the 3 main reasons people fight:
  1. People commonly fight for protection and prosperity
  2. For causes
  3. And for their place in the Social Strata
You'll be coming to an area where people know each other or know of someone who knows someone who knows you. There are a LOT of good people here, but due to what seems like a more condensed atmosphere (everyone being more familiar with each other), you're going to have to be prepared for feeling the opposite of how you felt in a larger city where people rode trains to work armored in "their space" against other "strangers." This really began to weird me out and I can see that it's going to take time for me to adjust. People looking in my shopping basket felt like an attack and I couldn't figure out why.. but now I see that people need to know you so they know where to place you in the social strata.

Be sure to change your license plate as soon as you can. This is a conservative area and it's important to fit-in. (Regardless of your political views.) Yeah, some people like to blame "outsiders", but isn't a lot of that about the irritation and uncertainty of change? Beneath most anger is fear ... and that point about "Social Strata" is important to recognize in a smaller place where people have known other families for generations. You're viewed as an outsider ... an invader.

This week, one of the biggest things I didn't get ... for a long time... is how passive-agressive some people can be. Passive-aggression is rampant from New York to San Diego. I don't know why it didn't click at first. I guess like your job search ideas, I saw what I wanted to see. I think it'll change as people get to know the newcomer, but there seems to be an initial "testing" period ... like a cat playing with a mouse.

North Carolina seems to be experiencing the same pressure as the rest of the states. People are still losing their houses. The Governor of Vermont recently used his, "State of the State" address to declare a heroin epidemic in his state. Then NPR had various other national officials claim the problem is nationwide and that the U.S. uses 80% of the world's heroin, oxycontin, psych drugs and pain killers. What the heck are we medicating?? (I think it's the way we treat ourselves and each other... but I digress...)

This is an utterly beautiful state. I love the fact that I have found quite and SPACE. But when I read your post, I think I agree with what others are advising you. While I think it's great for you to escape Chicago, you may want to look at places where the economy is on the rise. You may also want to check out Virginia which is very similar to North Carolina... but closer to Washington, D.C. where there are jobs and lots of "things to do."

We often read comments about areas here being boring. So what to some do? Yep... gossip and find ways to be entertained that make them feel better about themselves. It's human nature.

I'm sure my impressions will change by this time next year. Just be aware that every transplant I've talked to says it took time to adjust. I'm also a bit amuse when I read about natives being irritated by "Northerners" coming here and complaining. I know how they feel because the nation... the world is moving around searching for where the grass is greener. Maybe we need to bring more than our desires. I'm currently starting a couple of groups that do some of the creative things I enjoyed in other states. They've offered me a green a quiet place to live. Is there anything I can offer them in return?

Last edited by veganwriter; 01-27-2014 at 04:53 AM..

Old 01-27-2014, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,198 times
I just stumbled upon this board while looking for info on a long-ago murder in the area and feel compelled to give my two cents worth.

I have lived in Winston-Salem for over 60 years.

Yes, this is a beautiful state. I love being an hour away from the Blue Ridge Parkway. I love being 3-4 hours away from the beaches.

Through my years in the work force I have worked with many, many transplants. Most of them hated it here for the first year. It was a major adjustment for them to learn to deal with our slower, laid-back atmosphere. Those who made the adjustment loved it here, but some couldn't and left quickly.

As for the "social strata," it seems to be defined by the neighborhood you live in or the "importance" of your job. But most of us ignore it. We decide whether to befriend you based on the person you are. If you are concerned about "social strata," then I probably won't befriend you.

I live in a $125K - $200K neighborhood. That money will buy you a roughly 2,000 square foot house on a half acre lot. Adjacent to us is a $300K - $750K neighborhood. Roughly 3,000 square feet on a quarter acre lot. I have friends who live there. Directly across the street is a $750K - $2M+ neighborhood, also with quarter acre lots. I have friends who live there too.

Our older son lives here in Winston-Salem. He lost his job and had great difficulty finding another one.

Our younger son lives in the Raleigh area. Housing there is much more expensive, but jobs are a little easier to find there than in W-S.

Our daughter recently moved from the Sanford area. I wouldn't recommend that area to anyone. Jobs are difficult to find, and the real estate market is nearly nonexistent.

All that being said, I hate the climate here. I have begged my DH to move to Florida for years, but he won't go because of family commitments. With only one parent still living (and being in her late eighties), hopefully in a few years we can go further south.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:07 PM

6 posts, read 5,641 times
I relocated to this area with my family about 6 years ago. We moved down from the Connecticut area and we know we will never go back. Do not get me wrong we loved the North for so many reasons, but one day when an opportunity knocked to think about NC we did and we are glad we did.

I posed the same question you did and was so confused by the varied replies I received. We took a leap of faith and went with the many who gave us the positives and knew we would just have to deal w/ the negatives.

The positives are that the WS area is just a small little gem of a city that offers everything you want from a city. Good restaurants, great events, history, arts, shopping (on a small unique scale)...but you can drive to locations in other cities if you really need the big ticket stores. It is a city that you might be dining out, walking around, at a ball game or attending an event and you are bound to run into someone you know. It's a philanthropic city that seems to care about its roots and its people. I heard it described once as insular with a friendly face. That really sums it up. It's not a hustle and bustle city or one that will wear you out. It will give you everything you need or want while raising your family yet not leave your pocket empty or exhausted. We have enjoyed everything from the ballet to concerts to fine dining to pub dining to art festivals to college sporting events and tons more. We don't get raked across the coals for parking fees, entrance fees, high ticket prices, etc. It is a wonderful place to raise a family because it is so family friendly. There is always something to do with the kiddos and it seems the city is focused on making it a family friendly city. You can always visit the big lights...big city, but you don't have to live in it. Let me stress though....this all leads to the fact that some would consider WS a dead city...boring city...quiet city. To each his own, but I love what it offers on a small scale. Mind you in the 6 fast years we have lived here there is a lot coming to this city. Restaurants are popping up more and more and I am pretty sure the down town is working to attract more residence. We keep saying in 15 short years this city might become the "big city". Ruh roh.... "/

In terms of school systems I will say that has posed a challenge. You have a wonderful city...wonderful people and very family friendly yet we are riddled with the same public school issues that most of the country faces. Overcrowding is the biggest issue and the common core is sending everyone into a tizzy, but I tihnk that is everywhere. The positive is it has many, many public school, magnet school, charter school or private school options. Options abound so it is nice to know you have a choice in the matter and will no doubt find the right fit for you.

The most amazing part is what the WS area can offer you in a days drive. Mountains 45 / 60 minutes to the North and west of you. Lakes all around you. Beach is a short 4 hour + drive. You are a short drive from Atlanta, DC, Nashville, etc. There is a huge organic farming community in NC and farmers markets are everywhere. Farm to table and locally grown is at your fingertips. The climate in our location seems a good 10 degrees cooler in the heat of the summer just based on being in the foothills. The weather can be hot in July and August, but it is darn close to perfect the rest of the year. We don't have tons of humidity that the South is known for. We have a wonderful taste of all the four seasons in all their glory.

There are tons of transplants here and I will admit probably taking over. I have come to meet so many southern friends who are native to the area or local southerners and we joke about that, but almost all have welcomed us with open arms and enjoyed what we bring to the area and what they can share with us. Rarely will you find bad service (maybe slow but again let that sink in...its great!). More importantly rarely will you encounter a negative person in the service industry. Everyone is so helpful...honest...engaging and polite. They want to thank you for your business and wish you a blessed day. It just feels good. Note though... there is a respectful privacy to a southerner and although the hospitality abounds, we realized they are inherently private. Exactly like us! Yeah.

The negatives are there, but aren't they everywhere! Go with your gut and your heart will follow. Even if its a hard transition at first you will find so many reasons that this is a wonderful place to live. If for a short while it wont cause you any harm and that is comforting to know!!! Good luck!

Old 01-30-2014, 03:04 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,530,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOGGLE2009 View Post
I relocated to this area with my family about 6 years ago.....
This has got to be one of the BEST descriptions I have ever read of W-S. As a former W-S resident who loves where she is, but would move back to W-S in a heartbeat... Bravo!

Old 01-30-2014, 03:38 PM

322 posts, read 666,836 times
BOGGLE: I'll agree with roadpony....your take and perspective is one of the best I've ever read on the matter of moving to an area, period. It's realistic and on the money, and I'm sure that any Southerner moving to Connecticut would have to experience different aspects of the life, pace, and culture if they moved there too.

Thanks for your honesty.

Two posts...and you're doing fine!!

Old 02-11-2014, 12:21 PM

42 posts, read 71,148 times
The cost of living in NC is much lower than Chicago. You will get much more for your money here and the taxes aren't near as high. May not be as low as stated previously but certainly better than Chicagoland.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:55 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
I've only been here for three months and wow ... is it really a culture shock.
There's a lot of layers to peel ... and the more I peel, the more I see that the cultural dynamics of the Triad are pretty much the same as in every other place I've lived... it just LOOKS, sounds, and feels so different.

I hope you notice that people are continually telling you NOT to come here unless you have a job and that jobs are difficult to find even for people born and raised here. You really, really, really need to accept that. There are a lot of under-employed people who can be grumpy if you enter looking just a tad bit too happy.

When the economy stinks, people tend to react pretty much the same everywhere.
Jealousy, envy, and mean-spiritedness can come at you out of nowhere.

I watched a YouTube video on social penetration and became aware of the 3 main reasons people fight:
  1. People commonly fight for protection and prosperity
  2. For causes
  3. And for their place in the Social Strata
You'll be coming to an area where people know each other or know of someone who knows someone who knows you. There are a LOT of good people here, but due to what seems like a more condensed atmosphere (everyone being more familiar with each other), you're going to have to be prepared for feeling the opposite of how you felt in a larger city where people rode trains to work armored in "their space" against other "strangers." This really began to weird me out and I can see that it's going to take time for me to adjust. People looking in my shopping basket felt like an attack and I couldn't figure out why.. but now I see that people need to know you so they know where to place you in the social strata.

Be sure to change your license plate as soon as you can. This is a conservative area and it's important to fit-in. (Regardless of your political views.) Yeah, some people like to blame "outsiders", but isn't a lot of that about the irritation and uncertainty of change? Beneath most anger is fear ... and that point about "Social Strata" is important to recognize in a smaller place where people have known other families for generations. You're viewed as an outsider ... an invader.

This week, one of the biggest things I didn't get ... for a long time... is how passive-agressive some people can be. Passive-aggression is rampant from New York to San Diego. I don't know why it didn't click at first. I guess like your job search ideas, I saw what I wanted to see. I think it'll change as people get to know the newcomer, but there seems to be an initial "testing" period ... like a cat playing with a mouse.

North Carolina seems to be experiencing the same pressure as the rest of the states. People are still losing their houses. The Governor of Vermont recently used his, "State of the State" address to declare a heroin epidemic in his state. Then NPR had various other national officials claim the problem is nationwide and that the U.S. uses 80% of the world's heroin, oxycontin, psych drugs and pain killers. What the heck are we medicating?? (I think it's the way we treat ourselves and each other... but I digress...)

This is an utterly beautiful state. I love the fact that I have found quite and SPACE. But when I read your post, I think I agree with what others are advising you. While I think it's great for you to escape Chicago, you may want to look at places where the economy is on the rise. You may also want to check out Virginia which is very similar to North Carolina... but closer to Washington, D.C. where there are jobs and lots of "things to do."

We often read comments about areas here being boring. So what to some do? Yep... gossip and find ways to be entertained that make them feel better about themselves. It's human nature.

I'm sure my impressions will change by this time next year. Just be aware that every transplant I've talked to says it took time to adjust. I'm also a bit amuse when I read about natives being irritated by "Northerners" coming here and complaining. I know how they feel because the nation... the world is moving around searching for where the grass is greener. Maybe we need to bring more than our desires. I'm currently starting a couple of groups that do some of the creative things I enjoyed in other states. They've offered me a green a quiet place to live. Is there anything I can offer them in return?
Lots of the social phenomenon you are discussing should be viewed in a historical context - specifically the Civil War and Reconstruction eras..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point