U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 05:42 PM

17 posts, read 22,474 times

Advertisements

I want to say thank you for all the advice. We are currently sending out resumes but know it is difficult to find jobs when you are out of state. We are considering having me and the kids come ahead with my older son while my husband stays behind and continues to work here until I find a job. Then he can come out and look. We really don't have much in the way of bills and could live, albiet not comfortably, for a while.

I am really not sure how else to proceed but since we are not looking to leave until July/August we will keep sending out resumes the old fashion way for now. Thanks again and here's hoping!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 06:34 PM

62 posts, read 73,867 times
Yo , you need to find a job first...The lines are long with locals who have been looking for a long time.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:29 PM

10,401 posts, read 19,420,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margo30 View Post
My husband and I, along with my two children have decided to leave the Chicagoland area. We are SICK of the weather, the high cost of living and the 1hr + commutes to work and the in general closed off feeling of the people here. Neither of us have any ties to the area.
Is there a reason you MUST move to NC? There are a lot of places that are "not Chicago" that have better job markets, etc. I'm not sure why so many people up north get the impression that "if you don't like where you are, it's time to move to NC." Are you considering other states as well?

Old 02-22-2014, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Is there a reason you MUST move to NC? There are a lot of places that are "not Chicago" that have better job markets, etc. I'm not sure why so many people up north get the impression that "if you don't like where you are, it's time to move to NC." Are you considering other states as well?
We thought about it but there is no other state that really fits the criteria like NC. First it still has 4 seasons and I do enjoy the fall. Next, with the ocean on one side and the mountains on the other it offers something for all of us. My husband has visited there several times and thinks it is a beautiful area and it is not a terrible distance from my family in PA. Last but certainly not least you have Duke Children's Hospital and they were recently rated one of the best in the country and since I have a child with a cardiac condition that is a big consideration.

I really could go on but we sat down and looked at a map and there was not one other state that we both wanted to consider.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:03 AM

978 posts, read 1,621,422 times
Quote:
We thought about it but there is no other state that really fits the criteria like NC. First it still has 4 seasons and I do enjoy the fall. Next, with the ocean on one side and the mountains on the other it offers something for all of us. My husband has visited there several times and thinks it is a beautiful area and it is not a terrible distance from my family in PA. Last but certainly not least you have Duke Children's Hospital and they were recently rated one of the best in the country and since I have a child with a cardiac condition that is a big consideration.

I really could go on but we sat down and looked at a map and there was not one other state that we both wanted to consider.
SC, VA, and GA all have mountains on one side and the beach on the other side. Only Georgia has a higher unemployment rate than NC.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:49 PM

4,347 posts, read 7,423,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I have noticed that a lot more of the self identified "liberals" who want to move South tend to think of NC first. It's like they want to be somewhere warmer and cheaper but they're afraid of Southern culture and have the idea that NC is less Southern than other states, for some reason. I think it might have to do with people touting on forums like this how liberal the Triangle area is and how many New Yorkers have moved to the Charlotte area. Obviously, Florida is "little New York", but the idea of hurricanes and alligators and tropical heat is a little too much for many people to contemplate, so they pick states like NC and VA which they envision to be a warmer, cheaper version of where they are moving from, four seasons and all. States like SC, GA, TN, and especially AL and MS, are waaaayyyy too red for them, even though NC is still pretty conservative as well.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:24 PM

10,680 posts, read 11,307,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
SC, VA, and GA all have mountains on one side and the beach on the other side. Only Georgia has a higher unemployment rate than NC.
Very true, and the mountains and the beaches are closer together in those states, but they don't have Duke Hospital, so I could see relocating to NC over the others if that's a big concern.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Very true, and the mountains and the beaches are closer together in those states, but they don't have Duke Hospital, so I could see relocating to NC over the others if that's a big concern.
Actually it is a huge concern. My 9 year old has had three open heart surgeries and will probably need aortic valve replacement in the future. We are seen by a cardiac team twice a year and have regular lab work to monitor his clotting levels. When we decided to relocate one of our first concerns was a top children's hospital with a rated cardiology department.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I have noticed that a lot more of the self identified "liberals" who want to move South tend to think of NC first. It's like they want to be somewhere warmer and cheaper but they're afraid of Southern culture and have the idea that NC is less Southern than other states, for some reason. I think it might have to do with people touting on forums like this how liberal the Triangle area is and how many New Yorkers have moved to the Charlotte area. Obviously, Florida is "little New York", but the idea of hurricanes and alligators and tropical heat is a little too much for many people to contemplate, so they pick states like NC and VA which they envision to be a warmer, cheaper version of where they are moving from, four seasons and all. States like SC, GA, TN, and especially AL and MS, are waaaayyyy too red for them, even though NC is still pretty conservative as well.
I am not sure how politics got into this, but that has no bearing on why we are moving. To be honest both my husband and I are conservative although I don't know why that matters. We are looking for a better quality of life for our family. We want to be able to spend more time together outside. With my son's condition organized sports is out but hiking, biking, going camping or to the beach are all activities we enjoy. Additionally, while not super close, NC is closer to my family who live in PA. Right now its a 14 hour drive. From either the Triangle or the Triad it would be about 7.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:31 PM

4,347 posts, read 7,423,145 times
Quote:
I am not sure how politics got into this, but that has no bearing on why we are moving. To be honest both my husband and I are conservative although I don't know why that matters. We are looking for a better quality of life for our family. We want to be able to spend more time together outside. With my son's condition organized sports is out but hiking, biking, going camping or to the beach are all activities we enjoy. Additionally, while not super close, NC is closer to my family who live in PA. Right now its a 14 hour drive. From either the Triangle or the Triad it would be about 7.
I'm sorry if you thought that was directed towards you specifically, because it definitely wasn't. I was just saying that a lot of the relocation threads started by Northerners on the NC forums are posted by self proclaimed liberals, generally from the NYC/NJ area or the Northeast, who seem to be looking for a liberal spot in the South and NC always seems to be their target area, as opposed to other states. I think they have an idea that because NC is a bit farther north and a bit closer to the Mid-Atlantic states that they will find more like minded people, in spite of what the data shows. Then they come back and complain about how conservative their new area is, as if it was some kind of well kept secret when all they had to do was do a little research before they moved.

No offense, again, it wasn't meant towards you at all. If you notice, I reference NY several times in my post, and you clearly stated that you are from Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point