U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 07:18 PM

10,697 posts, read 11,340,381 times

Advertisements

Duke, UNC, and Moses Cone in Winston are all excellent hospitals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 08:17 PM

302 posts, read 537,982 times
I do hope you mean Wake Forest Baptist, in Winston-Salem.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:47 PM

10,697 posts, read 11,340,381 times
Yes, you're right, I did wsnc. Thanks for catching that.

Wake Forest Baptist is in Winston and has a very good reputation, and Moses Cone is in G-boro. The Winston one is the better of the two but Moses Cone isn't bad, either. Maybe not as good as WFB, but pretty good.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:27 PM

17 posts, read 22,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I'm sorry if you thought that was directed towards you specifically, because it definitely wasn't. I was just saying that a lot of the relocation threads started by Northerners on the NC forums are posted by self proclaimed liberals, generally from the NYC/NJ area or the Northeast, who seem to be looking for a liberal spot in the South and NC always seems to be their target area, as opposed to other states. I think they have an idea that because NC is a bit farther north and a bit closer to the Mid-Atlantic states that they will find more like minded people, in spite of what the data shows. Then they come back and complain about how conservative their new area is, as if it was some kind of well kept secret when all they had to do was do a little research before they moved.

No offense, again, it wasn't meant towards you at all. If you notice, I reference NY several times in my post, and you clearly stated that you are from Chicago.
Thank you for clarifying. I know a lot of people think that people who live in Chicago/Milwaukee are "liberal" and for the most part they would be correct, however it is different in a lot of the suburbs. At this point in life I am way past my young, idealistic phase and just would like to find a nice area where I can enjoy life with my family year round.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:40 AM

351 posts, read 472,276 times
Look I'm getting tired of y'all dissing my state of NC. OMG it is not that bad its what you make it if anything Kwarm Raleigh/Durham is a nicer area the job market is one of the better areas in NC u should look into that area Greensboro has some stuff to don't get me wrong but the triangle for sure is where its at

Old 02-23-2014, 12:42 AM

351 posts, read 472,276 times
To all y'all one saying this negative stuff about NC I bet chall don't say the same about GA or any other state if anything NC has come a long ways

Old 02-28-2014, 07:26 AM

6 posts, read 4,907 times
Live and let live no matter where you want to live. If we can all put our walls down and stop fearing that our neighbors will change us or we can change our neighbors it all could work. We have felt welcomed in the South and the people we have met have celebrated our differences as we have with them. We have all taught each other something...opened each others eyes. In doing so it has further confirmed our beliefs even stronger, but in addition has allowed us to explore other ideas and beliefs as well. Celebrate it all. Stop worrying and just do it. I don't have to have the same beliefs and convictions as my neighbors...nor do they have to have mine. We show respect and hospitality and care for each other as neighbors should .....we show our children the same. This is the world we live in and creating dividing lines is something I never want to be a part of. You are seeking a better option for your family from cost of living, to weather to most importantly health care for your children....go for it! That is the beauty of this country that allows you the freedom to find a soft place to land if you can. Wherever that may be you should feel good about it. You work hard to provide for your family and should not be ashamed to try to afford yourself a better life if you envision that in NC. Don't let anyone stop you from that. Come on down and stay a while. I know you will be okay.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:41 PM

6 posts, read 4,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margo30 View Post
Thank you for clarifying. I know a lot of people think that people who live in Chicago/Milwaukee are "liberal" and for the most part they would be correct, however it is different in a lot of the suburbs. At this point in life I am way past my young, idealistic phase and just would like to find a nice area where I can enjoy life with my family year round.

Live and let live no matter where you want to live. If we can all put our walls down and stop fearing that our neighbors will change us or we can change our neighbors it all could work. We have felt welcomed in the South and the people we have met have celebrated our differences as we have with them. We have all taught each other something...opened each others eyes. In doing so it has further confirmed our beliefs even stronger, but in addition has allowed us to explore other ideas and beliefs as well. Celebrate it all. Stop worrying and just do it. I don't have to have the same beliefs and convictions as my neighbors...nor do they have to have mine. We show respect and hospitality and care for each other as neighbors should .....we show our children the same. This is the world we live in and creating dividing lines is something I never want to be a part of. You are seeking a better option for your family from cost of living, to weather to most importantly health care for your children....go for it! That is the beauty of this country that allows you the freedom to find a soft place to land if you can. Wherever that may be you should feel good about it. You work hard to provide for your family and should not be ashamed to try to afford yourself a better life if you envision that in NC. Don't let anyone stop you from that. Come on down and stay a while. I know you will be okay.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:28 AM

149 posts, read 201,874 times
Transplant from Syracuse...you'll cry during your first winter in NC...because it's so NICE. It's actually Sunny in January.

Boone is a two hour drive (mountains). Wilmington is 3 and a half (beach). Greensboro is a great place to be outdoors. There are watershed lakes just north of the city with a lot of trails. (in october there is a triple XXX (three lake) trail race that covers half marathon distance, marathon and 40 miles...that's a lot of trails (I run them every day). There is an ever expanding greenway (paved), both downtown and up by the lakes.

The prices are amazing...property taxes...low. If you live in the county, outside city limits...it's cut by half. The schools are not uniformly great. The inner city schools are the lowest performing, and generally the ones out in the county are better.

The job situation is tough..It depends on his field.

Good Luck..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point