U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 07:19 AM

17 posts, read 22,459 times

Advertisements

I posted some questions on moving to NC in another part of the forum and I have to say that 90% of the responses were negative. People said it is hard to get jobs (one person said "because of all you people from up north moving here"), some said it's boring, cost of living is not that great etc.

Can anyone in this area please give some positive information? My husband and I, along with my two children have decided to leave the Chicagoland area. We are SICK of the weather, the high cost of living and the 1hr + commutes to work and the in general closed off feeling of the people here. Neither of us have any ties to the area.

We love the outdoors, camping, hiking etc. I would love to be able to drive to the beach for the weekend Visit the historic sites in the surrounding areas. We decided that North Carolina would be the best all around state.

He has begun to send out resumes and I will soon. We are hoping to find something by August before the kids start school again. Are we being unrealistic? I am quite a bit disheartened after the response from the other forum.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 07:22 AM

[quote=Margo30;33027684]I posted some questions on moving to NC in another part of the forum

I'm sorry. I should have added that I am asking specifically about the Winston-Salem/Greensboro area, not just North Carolina in general.

Thanks again.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:33 AM

1,486 posts, read 1,693,471 times
A lot depends on your expectations and what you hope to gain by moving.

Jobs are scarce. I am NC born and bred and recently returned after years away. I am well connected in my city, have a Master's degree, and still had trouble finding a position.

There are lots of transplants so you are competing for positions with others like you.

NC is beautiful. I absolutely love it. But my best advice is visit, look around, and see what sorts of replies you get from sending out your resumes. As is often said here, do not leave home without a job.

Last edited by Sue at the Rock; 01-15-2014 at 07:44 AM..

Old 01-15-2014, 07:51 AM

10,672 posts, read 11,292,569 times
Margo, yours is a very similar question to one in the Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill forum titled, "Am I Crazy". The poster there is between Milwaukee and Chicago, commuting to Chicago. She got A LOT of responses. Rather than repeat them all here I will redirect you there. Some are specific to the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill), but many are applicable to the Triad (Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point) area as well.

Am I Crazy!

As an NC native, I am not feeling extra positive about the current direction of NC. Very disappointed in our governor (elected 2012, so we've got him for a while yet) and the direction that he and the state legislature are taking our state.

That said, NC could be a good choice for you if you can find employment (NC unemployment is not great overall, but some fields are doing pretty well — it depends on your specialty) and if your expectations are in line with reality.

We have A LOT of transplants, really, A WHOLE LOT. Many of them are really happy in NC, but there are some who are very vocal (whiny, even) in their disappointment in the old North State. That just gets old. Kinda like if you like a certain food and someone else in the restaurant just goes on and on about how gross it is and how awful, etc. If you don't like it, fine, but don't yuck our yum. You may have heard from some whiny transplants on your other thread or you may have heard from some folks who are trying to paint a realistic picture for you so you don't move down here and become a whiny transplant. Most of the folks who move here from out of state aren't whiners, but just looking for a good place to raise a family and make great neighbors and friends.

Winston-Salem and Greensboro have some interesting stuff going on. The Triad is not experiencing the explosive growth that Charlotte and the Triangle are, but there is still a lot of growth and still quite a few newcomers moving to the area. Winston-Salem bills itself as a city of the arts and it does have some interesting stuff going on, as does Greensboro. Both towns are close enough to Charlotte and Durham and Raleigh to take day trips there for a big event (or to go to IKEA in the case of Charlotte).

W-S is about 3.5 to 4 hrs from the beach, but much closer to the mountains. Greensboro is about 3 hrs to the beach. Winston is about 1.5 hrs to Boone/Blowing Rock, which is a great mountain weekend getaway, and G-boro is about 2 hrs away from the mountains.

If nothing in particular is bringing you to NC vs other states you might also want to check out VA and SC. Beaches and mountains in both those states, too and they're closer to each other than NC's beaches and mountains.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:55 AM

11,250 posts, read 19,768,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
If nothing in particular is bringing you to NC vs other states you might also want to check out VA and SC. Beaches and mountains in both those states, too and they're closer to each other than NC's beaches and mountains.
In addition, the employment picture is better in South Carolina and Virginia. While I wish your husband good luck with resumes, it is better to be realistic.

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-15-2014 at 08:27 AM..

Old 01-15-2014, 10:04 AM

10,814 posts, read 15,114,463 times
[quote=Margo30;33027731]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margo30 View Post
I posted some questions on moving to NC in another part of the forum

I'm sorry. I should have added that I am asking specifically about the Winston-Salem/Greensboro area, not just North Carolina in general.

Thanks again.

Winston-Salem/Greensboro area is a wonderful area, but quite a trek to the coast; why not try to get somewhere outside of Raleigh-Durham, Cary, Apex and so forth. The best camping, hiking, and outdoor activities, however, will be in western NC.

Don't be concerned with what some negative posters say, they most likely didn't do enough homework before making the "leap" -- or they simply have not adjusted well and are homesick. It takes a minimum of one year to adjust to a new area. Others think the gates to the town should be closed, after they got there.

Here are two favorite websites:

www.ourstate.com

www.carolinaliving.com

Old 01-15-2014, 10:15 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,103,476 times
I really like NC. Lived in Greenville from 2005-2009, northeast of Raleigh from 2009-2011, and now in the Triad (near Wallburg, in between all 3 cities) since 2011. I grew up in NY state, lived in California (San Diego area), Nevada (Mesquite), Utah (St. George area), and Oregon (Portland area) before moving to NC in 2005. I love the climate. The cost of living (at least housing) is very reasonable IMO. I like being reasonably close to the mountains and the beach. I do like Raleigh, but have a much nicer home here than we would have in Raleigh for the price we paid.

I wouldn't recommend moving without a job, but it's somewhat of a Catch-22 since many employers won't consider you first if you're not already living in the area. When I got my current job, I had to assure my employer that I was serious about moving from the Triangle to the Triad (which I was, as we already had a house picked out). And that was for an in-state move.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:42 AM

[quote=QuilterChick;33030405]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margo30 View Post

Winston-Salem/Greensboro area is a wonderful area, but quite a trek to the coast; why not try to get somewhere outside of Raleigh-Durham, Cary, Apex and so forth. The best camping, hiking, and outdoor activities, however, will be in western NC.

Don't be concerned with what some negative posters say, they most likely didn't do enough homework before making the "leap" -- or they simply have not adjusted well and are homesick. It takes a minimum of one year to adjust to a new area. Others think the gates to the town should be closed, after they got there.

Here are two favorite websites:

www.ourstate.com

www.carolinaliving.com
Thank you for the encouragement! I will definitely check out those websites. My husband has traveled to Greensboro several times and likes the area. For me it would be a closer drive to family (in PA) that I am now but still allow for a milder climate.

Here's keeping my fingers crossed!

Old 01-15-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
I really like NC. Lived in Greenville from 2005-2009, northeast of Raleigh from 2009-2011, and now in the Triad (near Wallburg, in between all 3 cities) since 2011. I grew up in NY state, lived in California (San Diego area), Nevada (Mesquite), Utah (St. George area), and Oregon (Portland area) before moving to NC in 2005. I love the climate. The cost of living (at least housing) is very reasonable IMO. I like being reasonably close to the mountains and the beach. I do like Raleigh, but have a much nicer home here than we would have in Raleigh for the price we paid.

I wouldn't recommend moving without a job, but it's somewhat of a Catch-22 since many employers won't consider you first if you're not already living in the area. When I got my current job, I had to assure my employer that I was serious about moving from the Triangle to the Triad (which I was, as we already had a house picked out). And that was for an in-state move.
Thank you for your advice. The catch-22 is the hardest part. We will just keep sending out resumes and contacting recruiters. Hopefully something will eventually stick. Have a great day!

Old 01-15-2014, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,493 times
Hi in Chicagoland! I have been a life long resident of the great state of NC. I live in the central piedmont and I love the area. We are 3hrs from the beautiful beaches of the Crystal coast
to the east and 3hrs from the never ending mountains to the west. Research Triangle Park or the silicon valley of the east is located in the Raliegh Durham area. Not to mention we are home to more than a dozen prestigious colleges and universities as well as world renowned hospitals within a 5o mile radius. Carolina, Wake Forrest and Duke just to mention a few. Our cost of living is one of the lowest in the country. Here $100,000 buys a lot of real estate! avg. rent for a 2 bdrm apartment is 350 to 550 per mo. You can rent a 4 or 5 bdrm house in a nice neighborhood for less than $1000. It's a very beautiful area with a lot of different activities for a family or for singles. In 2013 NC was number one in the nation in population increase. If we are so bad how could that be? I'm sure we're not perfect but we are working really hard at it lol

Last edited by tarheelcna; 01-15-2014 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: add more info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point