U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2014, 06:06 PM

15 posts, read 14,587 times

Advertisements

I know it is another repetitive question, but would appreciate any suggestions for areas to move.

We are married couple in our thirties, planning to have kids. We are looking to move to NC from Long Island, NY. We plan to move in 2015/2016, and hopefully have our parents move closer to us as well in the future when they retire. We are self sufficient, adaptable, have jobs that should be portable, and we do plan to have them before we move, at least one of us would. We have been visiting N.C. and plan to come for visits before we move so we can determine the areas we like. So far we like Kernersville area for the downtown, i would love to be in smaller town with a walkable downtown where the community comes together.

We are looking into two things and have the following questions
1. find an apartment complex to invest in (buy), ideally near the hospital and/or university.
- Which areas for students/medical staff/residence would be desirable.
- Do you know a real estate agent that specializes in commercial/residential sales
2. recommendations to move
- good school district, we plan to have have kids
- does not have to within the city itself, but is relatively close
- is within 30 min to R. Catholic church
- properties that are at least half an acre, and older neighborhood, I am not the biggest fan of the new
development. - (by that I mean, regular fireplaces, a lot of established trees etc)
- neighborhood that would be relatively open to newcomers (who are trying to fit in) but have NY/Eastern
European accent.
- Not that far away within 15 min to farm market/or farms, whole foods or trader's joe or any natural food
store.

We are currently considering Winston Salem, and Greenville. I will be posting a similar question in that forum as well.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 07:30 PM

302 posts, read 538,354 times
In Winston-Salem, you need to be in Ardmore/Bethesda, Buena Vista, or the West End. All of those areas put you within distance of the Triad's top two hospitals, three Catholic schools, and both a Trader Joes and Whole Foods in 5 minutes. Good luck. Y'all come.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:51 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,112,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biedronka15 View Post
We are currently considering Winston Salem, and Greenville. I will be posting a similar question in that forum as well.

Any suggestions are welcome.
In addition to W-S, are you considering Greenville, NC or Greenville, SC? Or did you mean Greensboro, which is close to Winston-Salem? Just wondering.

I don't really have anything to add as I don't know too many of the neighborhoods; we've been here for ~2.5 years now and enjoy it. I grew up in NY State; wife grew up in Utah, but we've lived elsewhere as well. If you end up here, welcome!

edit: just saw you posted in the Coastal NC forum also, so I see you did mean Greenville, NC. We lived in Greenville from 2005-2009. I would pick Winston-Salem in a heartbeat. Greenville has almost no downtown activity. The Triad will be more welcoming to "Yankees." The Triad is just a much larger metro area than Greenville, so there is much more to offer, more diversity, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point