U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 01:01 PM

3 posts, read 5,622 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to the Triad area towards the end of the year, we have never been there but hear good things so far. Im not really a city person so I think I would rather live outside of Greensboro. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start looking? I would also like of course a good school district. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 01:32 PM

11,251 posts, read 19,773,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclucas View Post
We will be moving to the Triad area towards the end of the year, we have never been there but hear good things so far.
Where do you expect to work? That should be the determining factor in where you live. The Triad is about 50 miles wide and 30 miles deep.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:04 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,104,088 times
With so little information to go on, I'll just give my thoughts on where we live: northeast Davidson County (just outside of Wallburg). I like the area for the proximity to all 3 cities (about 15 minutes to High Point, 15-20 to Winston-Salem, 20-30 to Greensboro). I think the schools are good (for us, Wallburg Elementary, Oak Grove Middle, Ledford High (we'll be at the new high school when it's built), with reasonable property taxes. While it's a good idea to consider your job location when looking for a place to live, it may also be wise to consider how convenient your home is to potential other jobs should the job not work out. We're remote enough to hear cows in the distance when taking a walk.

If I had to move and was staying in the Triad, I'd also consider the Kernersville area.

The only thing that I dislike about the Wallburg area is that, while, it's 15-30 minutes to the entire Triad, it's 15+ minutes to almost anything other than a grocery store, a few restaurants, etc. Nothing major is closer (which might be a good thing to many).

Old 02-19-2014, 06:15 AM

Thank you so very much for the information. My husband will get a job in Greensboro. I can work on the outskirts of Greensboro. I would like something with a good commute for him and a good school district and safe community.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:35 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,104,088 times
I would look at Oak Ridge area for a safe area with excellent government schools. Though if you plan to rent initially, I imagine there isn't much to rent in Oak Ridge. Hopefully others will chime in. Before we bought in Davidson County, we looked seriously at buying just outside of Oak Ridge (would still have been Oak Ridge schools).

Old 02-19-2014, 08:13 AM

Thank you very much for all the responses. Yes we will probably rent first then look to buy. I would like something with no more than a 30 minute commute to Greensboro. My husband is retiring after 24 years in the Air Force and have decided to make the Triad area our final stop.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:09 PM

127 posts, read 148,295 times
Most (if not all) of the school districts in the Triad are countywide. For example, all of Guilford County is served by one school district. If you want to find the attendance zones for schools, this website has maps or you can plug in an address. I think Grimsley, Northwest, and Page High Schools have the highest test scores. This website has report cards for all of the schools.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:36 AM

28,490 posts, read 62,120,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclucas View Post
My husband will get a job in Greensboro.
I can work on the outskirts of Greensboro.
I get a future tense sense from your statements.
If you don't actually have jobs (at least one) lined up in advance...

Quote:
I would like something with a good commute for him...
and a good school district and safe community.
Of course. Just like everyone else likes those practical things.

Real help starts with at least one known fixed point.
When you know where that (commute to) location is... let us know.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:37 AM

23 posts, read 41,512 times
Greensboro is a lovely city. I assume you have no job or family connections in Greensboro yet. In that case, I suggest that you also consider Raleigh, NC, also a lovely city, and the capital of North Carolina. Depending on where you live, you could be about an hour away from Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, which be a big plus for you. Raleigh is also bigger, which would give you a wider range of job opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point