U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 03:27 PM

97 posts, read 191,561 times

Advertisements

This is an outsiders opinion (I am from Charlotte)...have lived in this area for 3 years (Bermuda Run)...Clemmons seems a little nicer & classier than Kernersville. Plus West Forsyth (where our kids go) is rated as the #2 high school in NC...only behind Green Hope in Cary. High schools in Kernersville seem iffy. Make sure you are in the Forsyth County side of Clemmons if you want to be zoned for West Forsyth High School.

I have nothing against Kernersville though...most of the shopping in W-S is off Hanes Mall Blvd...10 min from Clemmons and downtown W-S is only 15min or less.

Fire works for the 4th of July are TOPS in Lewisville...a short 10 min ride up the road.

God luck!

Last edited by Charlotte2Advance; 08-15-2014 at 03:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 07:12 AM

7 posts, read 12,486 times
Where is Sherwood? is that an section of town in Winston-Salem? we're near retirement as well

thanks

Old 08-28-2014, 07:19 AM

7,278 posts, read 13,529,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodlelady View Post
Where is Sherwood? is that an section of town in Winston-Salem? we're near retirement as well

thanks
Sherwood Forest is a neighborhood on the Northwest side of Winston Salem.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:32 AM

2,648 posts, read 6,088,893 times
^ Yep, generally the area between Reynolda Rd., Robinhood Rd., and Silas Creek Parkway.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
^ Yep, generally the area between Reynolda Rd., Robinhood Rd., and Silas Creek Parkway.
The area on the other side of Silas Creek is pretty much considered to be Sherwood Forest, too, which makes sense, given the Robin Hood themed street names. People even stretch the boundaries to the west side of Peace Haven. You'll often hear "Old Sherwood" and "New Sherwood."

Old 08-28-2014, 08:22 AM

2,648 posts, read 6,088,893 times
^ True, there's not really a clear boundary between Sherwood Forest and Buena Vista. They sort of melt together.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:57 AM

16 posts, read 20,417 times
Honestly if I had to choose I would definitely go with Kernersville. It has a better location, its prettier (in my opinion) has a more laid back vibe and a lovely historical downtown. I don't hate Clemmons or anything but there is very little diversity there and its a lot more of the 'soccer mom/suburbia/cookie-cutter' type place. Since you homeschool I just feel that you would probably prefer Kernersville, although I do know there is a great homeschool group in the Clemmons area. I think its just what you are more comfortable with. I like the charm that comes with an area like Kernersville. Clemmons is a great family area but its definitely short on charm and variety.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:54 PM

97 posts, read 191,561 times
There is nothing to hate about Clemmons....Tanglewood Park, #2 rated high school in the state (I read about home school...just saying)...definitely more upper class in Clemmons, 5-10 min from all the shopping in Winston-Salem. Kernersville seems a little more good ole boys mentality. Prettier...hardly...lol Look at all the golf courses within 5 min of Clemmons.....Tanglewood, Salem Glen Country Club, Bermuda Run Country Club, Oak Valley Country Club, Bermuda Run West Country Club...country clubs usually do not surround a bad area.

I have nothing against Kernersville. We moved here from Charlotte 3 yrs ago and Clemmons is just plain & simple more upscale to what we are personally use to. This is a site of opinions...so take it for what it is worth. I would explore both areas and speak with realtors from both areas.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:54 PM

3 posts, read 3,058 times
if choosing between Lewisville Elementary and Southwest Elementary which would you go with for rising kindergartner?

Old 04-27-2015, 02:39 PM

According to the state's school ratings, which give each school a "grade" based on end-of-year tests and student improvement from year to year, Southwest gets a B and Lewisville gets an A. Now, that's not that telling a measure of a school's quality, especially for such a young child, but it is one measure.

I can't give a personal appraisal of how they compare. I know people who have kids at Lewisville and they love it, but I don't think I know anyone whose kids are at Southwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point