U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 10:17 AM

86 posts, read 90,581 times

Advertisements

I have a question for charlotte2advance. Your situation is very similar to what my family is thinking of doing. We are from charlotte and looking to build a house in the kinderton village neighborhood in Bermuda run. What do you think of that neighborhood and what do you think of the BR/Advance area? is Davie and that area around kinderton going to developing retail or things to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 11:02 AM

6,611 posts, read 6,931,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchswcupk View Post
I have a question for charlotte2advance. Your situation is very similar to what my family is thinking of doing. We are from charlotte and looking to build a house in the kinderton village neighborhood in Bermuda run. What do you think of that neighborhood and what do you think of the BR/Advance area? is Davie and that area around kinderton going to developing retail or things to do?
Kinderton is a beautiful neighborhood and Bermuda Run is a very nice area. It will be a while before that area of Davie develops real retail, but it has already attracted some things. It's so close to Clemmons, and then it's also about 10-15 minutes from Hanes Mall Boulevard - so it may be a while before some of the things in either one of those areas are duplicated in Bermuda Run.

If the school is important to you, remember that your high school will be Davie. I wouldn't recommend that, and just a couple of miles away (across the river) is West Forsyth. Clemmons has similar neighborhoods to Kinderton.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:16 PM

we looked in clemmons but for what we wanted in a house we could not afford in clemmons

Old 05-06-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchswcupk View Post
we looked in clemmons but for what we wanted in a house we could not afford in clemmons

Okay, but be careful if you have school aged kids going to Davie High. That was one of the worst experiences of my life...hopefully it isn't as bad as it used to be.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:36 AM

62 posts, read 58,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Okay, but be careful if you have school aged kids going to Davie High. That was one of the worst experiences of my life...hopefully it isn't as bad as it used to be.
Davie County elementary schools and middle schools are great. However, if you're looking for diversity, it's probably not the best school system to send your kids to.

I went to Davie High as well. Great teachers and staff, but they, along with the 1950's facilities, were spread way too thin. Very aged--consists of about 8-10 buildings connected by covered walkways, with little maintenance done over the years. This was over 10 years ago--I can't imagine it's any better now.

If it's any consolation, after 15+ years of debate, they have finally started construction on a new high school--again, only one school for the county (because, 'Murica!). The plans look promising, but it'll be a few years until it's completed.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyblue View Post
Davie County elementary schools and middle schools are great. However, if you're looking for diversity, it's probably not the best school system to send your kids to.

I went to Davie High as well. Great teachers and staff, but they, along with the 1950's facilities, were spread way too thin. Very aged--consists of about 8-10 buildings connected by covered walkways, with little maintenance done over the years. This was over 10 years ago--I can't imagine it's any better now.

If it's any consolation, after 15+ years of debate, they have finally started construction on a new high school--again, only one school for the county (because, 'Murica!). The plans look promising, but it'll be a few years until it's completed.
With Davie High it wasn't the teachers or even the staff - it was the people. I was from Winston-Salem and back then they just did not like outsiders - and I always felt like an outsider there. Hopefully that has changed by now, but it was a huge relief when we moved to Clemmons and I got to finish my last two years at West Forsyth.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:06 PM

62 posts, read 58,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
With Davie High it wasn't the teachers or even the staff - it was the people. I was from Winston-Salem and back then they just did not like outsiders - and I always felt like an outsider there. Hopefully that has changed by now, but it was a huge relief when we moved to Clemmons and I got to finish my last two years at West Forsyth.
I experienced something similar--moved there in 8th grade, went to North Davie Middle, and then on to graduate from Davie High. The us vs. them dynamic between those from rural Davie vs those from developments in NE Davie (Oak Valley, Bermuda Run, BRW, etc) was pretty strong (I was in the latter group).

May not be as bad as it previously was and it was never terrible, it's just the overall mindset of the county's longtime natives vs the newer residents. It's sad how so many frown upon the newer development and those who live in them--these areas significantly contribute to the county's overall tax base.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:03 AM

Wife and I don't have any kids yet so we want good schools but I have a feeling by the time we have kids and high school is in the picture Davie high might have a different picture at that time. Good info to know but our thought is alot can change in 15 years

Old 05-08-2015, 11:07 AM

7,279 posts, read 13,532,516 times
Yeah, if you don't even have kids, buying a house based on the quality of the high school doesn't make a lot of sense. I know that factors into home values, etc., but there are a million reasons that (a) the high school might be different or (b) you might not even be in that home anymore by the time your still-theoretical kids are enrolling in the 9th grade.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyblue View Post
I experienced something similar--moved there in 8th grade, went to North Davie Middle, and then on to graduate from Davie High. The us vs. them dynamic between those from rural Davie vs those from developments in NE Davie (Oak Valley, Bermuda Run, BRW, etc) was pretty strong (I was in the latter group).

May not be as bad as it previously was and it was never terrible, it's just the overall mindset of the county's longtime natives vs the newer residents. It's sad how so many frown upon the newer development and those who live in them--these areas significantly contribute to the county's overall tax base.
That dynamic was the main problem with getting a new high school for the county. The Mocksville side of Davie wanted the entire county to come to them so they would still be important, and they wouldn't hear of a new high school that would house the wealthier side of the county. I'm surprised anything is happening, but at least they decided on a new high school in a more central location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point