U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 08:47 PM

9 posts, read 10,091 times

Advertisements

I'm currently unemployed (just finished my degree after a large layoff) and am planning to move to NC from NY in 6 months. I've been interviewing and am suddenly scared to take a job that I'll have to leave in 6 months for the move.

On the one hand, I have to work and my resume will look silly if I just stay unemployed for 8 months after graduation and then move to a brand new state.

On the other, leaving an employer after just 6 months feels wrong to me and my resume will make it look as if I'm job hopping although I was in my last position more than 6 years.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 08:53 PM

7,281 posts, read 13,521,972 times
Might I ask what's bringing you to NC in six months? Seems like both a specific location and a specific timeframe.

My advice would always be to take work if you can get it. It's easier to get a job if you have a job, and you can start your job hunt while still in NY and frame the move as being driven by something external.

Then again, while you're soliciting advice, I'd always say to get a job where you're going before you move, whenever possible. I think I'd get an NY job if I could and then not move until I had a job lined up in NC.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:05 PM

I'm moving for my son to be closer to my family and since I'm done with school and I'm not really tied to anything, it seems that it's a good time. And also because I hate these harsh winters!!

I do need to wait the six months for my son to be done with the school year and for my lease to be up. I'm still figuring out the logistics of having something lined up in NC. I'm thinking about maybe working with some staffing agencies down there?

Old 02-26-2014, 08:12 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,103,476 times
Are you just starting your career - will this be your first full-time, "real" job? It's not unusual to have job hopping when you're younger. I had 3 jobs within 4 years of graduating college, then was with the next company 9 years.

Also, if you end up in NC, welcome! I'm a "Yankee" also (from Westchester County), but I escaped over 30 years ago.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:20 AM

Thank you!

No, this will be my second career. I was with my last company for 7 years. I went back to school quite a bit late.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:22 AM

Lol, I like how you say you "escaped"... kind of how I feel too!

Old 02-26-2014, 01:05 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,103,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anasear View Post
Lol, I like how you say you "escaped"... kind of how I feel too!
I left at 18 to go to college in San Diego, thinking I might want to return and live in NYC after college, before I had a family. The urge to return to NY never came.

I really like NC (especially the larger metro areas) for a compromise of a fair amount of things to do, proximity to various other cities, reasonably cost of living, low tax burden, relatively safe, good schools, good climate (change of seasons without being too extreme), etc. I've lived in eastern NC (Greenville), a rural area northeast of Raleigh, now outside of Winston-Salem.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:33 AM

149 posts, read 201,276 times
If an employer asks why you left after 7 months...just explain you were waiting for you child to be finished with school.
That's perfectly reasonable. These days people have many jobs with various durations on their resume.

Go ahead and take the job...work hard for 6 or 7 months...give your employer his money's worth. You have to look out for yourself. Taking a job is a business relationship. If the business needs to fire you or lay you off...they will. It's important for you and your child that you work for these 6 months...

Old 03-03-2014, 03:27 PM

28,484 posts, read 62,101,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anasear View Post
Get a job AND THEN move? Advice please.
That advice is directed mostly to FAMILY units with dependents.
They really have no choice BUT to KNOW they have SOME income.
And it's not exclusive to NC. It applies generally.

Quote:
I'm currently unemployed (just finished my degree after a large layoff)...
If you have a good reason to go and something positive to go TO (few really do)
then don't stand on formality so long as you also have six months of expenses saved up
and a SOLIDLY needed skill that requires licensing or regulation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point