U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2014, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,204 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Seattle, originally from Long Island, NY. My husband is getting transferred to the Greensboro area and we have two girls, ages 6 and 11. What areas should we look into living? We are going to come down there in April to look at different neighborhoods. We want a safe family oriented neighborhood within a great school district. Since we are going next month to look I would love any suggestions. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 09:00 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,116,521 times
Without knowing where in the Greensboro area, price you're looking to pay, type of neighborhood you want, etc., I'd like into Oak Ridge.

fwiw, we moved from the Portland, OR area to North Carolina in 2005. I loved the first winter here - actually seeing the sun and blue skies!

Old 03-06-2014, 07:16 PM

149 posts, read 202,598 times
It does depend a bit on where you husband is working...but that said...the Northwest area is the safest with the best schools. This includes Oakridge and Summerfield. They fed into Northwest and Northern Guilford HS. (NW is better academically, Northern is brand new) If you locate outside Greensboro City limits the property taxes will be cut in half, you also can get a newer house with less money.

In the city limits the Cardinal area (also in NW) is very nice and family oriented. (but close to the airport and planes fly over all the time.)

In the city, I'd send my kids to Grimsley...but not any other school in the city limits.

You are moving from a very expensive area, to a very affordable area. You will be surprised at how much house you can get.

My daughter moved to Seattle last year to teach in Kirkland, and likes it a lot...but misses the NC sun. April is a beautiful time here.

By the way, you'll find a lot of NY and NJ transplants here.

If you want more details, give us a general idea where your husband is working. Most of the growth seems to be near the airport and the highway 68 corridor. (which is easily accessible from the NW).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point