U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 06:30 PM

23 posts, read 87,994 times

Advertisements

Hi, i relocated here 6 months ago from Australia, I did alot of research, we live in Summerfield, its a nice area, not that far from the college either by car. There are quite alot of new apartment buildings around too
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 12:18 PM

5 posts, read 155,003 times
Greensboro really isn't as bad as most people say. Most of the city is pretty safe, even at night, but there are a few areas that should definitely be avoided if at all possible. They are:

Martin Luther King (MLK) Blvd/HWY 421 - General high crime area

E Market St - High crime area, mainly drugs/prostitution

E Lee St - Safer than the above two, but generally sketchy area

Phillips Ave - VERY BAD crack problem, it runs along side the Claremont Housing Project which is unsafe even during the day

Florida St - Same as Phillips Ave, but different housing project (Smith Homes), high number of shootings in this area

E Wendover - Lots of crack houses and robberies, generally unsafe at night

Hampton Homes - Right where Elm and Eugene intersect. Dangerous area but otherwise Elm-Eugene is okay, just run down.

Ray Warren Homes - Housing project off E Lee St. High crime.

Randleman Rd- Mixed. Some parts are OK, some are sketchy.

Summit Ave - Some parts are fine, others you should stay away from. Best to avoid after dark.

Vandalia Rd- Lots of heroin/opiate addicts/dealers in this area.

Other than the above, most areas of da'boro should be fine. Downtown is a great place to hang out nights and weekends and as long as you use common sense you should be fine. The UNCG area is safe and is a great place to hang out but the area around Spring Garden does have alot of drug use. The suburbs and the wealthy areas (near the golf courses and the subdevelopments off Lake Townsend) are very safe and family friendly. The airport area (Northwest Greensboro) is quite safe and is a very good place to live, although it can be somewhat confusing to navigate with all the various highway systems and interchanges. Hope this helps.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:39 PM

200 posts, read 766,897 times
I lived on west market near the guilford college road and it was pretty nice.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:27 PM

251 posts, read 984,320 times
dabaroman,,

Is the area around Bennett College dangerous? A niece of mine is considering going
there.......

Any other inputs on that area are appreciated.....

Old 01-23-2009, 08:46 AM

627 posts, read 1,950,515 times
daboroman-

Can you be more specific about E Market and E Wendover. That is a huge area, what are the trouble spots?

Old 01-24-2009, 09:05 PM

d_Random -

As far as E Market it is in general a poor, dilapidated area where crimes of all types, but mostly drugs, prostitution, and robberies/burglaries persist. There aren't any areas in particular that are worse than others, though the A&T campus is probably safer than the rest of E Market. I would personally avoid all parts of E Market at night, including the gas stations and convenience stores. As far as " trouble spots " in particular, I would guess the best description for E Market would be a broad and inclusive one, so for the purposes of this discussion I would say the area of E Market that is bounded by O'Henry Blvd to the west, Huffine Mill Rd to the east, Bessemer Ave to the north, and McConnell Rd to south is the worst part. I've heard the area near Bingham St Park is especially crime ridden.

As for E Wendover, the same rule applies. The area as a whole is generally run down, economically depressed, and has a high number of criminals residing in it. Again, the best I can do is a general area, and for E Wendover the " square " if you will, would be the area that is bounded to the north by Phillips Ave and White St, Huffine Mill Rd to the east, E Bessemer Ave to the south, and Summit Ave to the west. English St, Waugh St, Sykes Ave, Elwell Ave, and Holt Ave are all bad streets, and avoid Phillips Ave like the plague, it's probably the most dangerous street in Greensboro.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:22 PM

naomisday -

The area around Bennett College is unfortunately not the best part of Greensboro, although it should certainly be safe during the day. If your niece is considering that as a possible school I would at least recommend that she stay in a secure apartment complex as opposed to a rented house in the area, as they are often the targets of burglaries and that is not a situation for any young women to have to deal with when she is all alone. If it at all possible, although I suppose it depends on her financial situation, I would recommend living inside the downtown area as the apartments and condos there are quite safe though also quite pricey. Another much safer alternative that wouldn't be too far away would be the UNCG/Spring Garden area, which has affordable, safe student housing. If she does end up living in the area, the best advice I can give would be to for her to exercise caution at nightime and try always to be with friends or even just someone to walk her to car or door at night (which is really good advice for any woman I suppose), stay in well lit areas, and keep the doors and windows locked. This may sound dramatic but I can assure that the area she is in is not safe at night, I would know, as I used to be a delivery man and I have narrowly avoided robberies in that area. Good luck.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:32 AM

Daboroman,

Thank you SOO Much for Responding, this will help greatly, she is debating whether to go to Bennett
or not...and she will definitely stay off campus if she does.....

She has also applied to various schools in other states--Hampton and I think she applied
to North Carolina State as well...

Thank you though---being here in California it is hard to really find out what is happening....

Old 01-25-2009, 12:34 AM

Daboroman,,

Just Wondering, does Winston-Salem have as much crime or the Raleigh-Durham
area?

Old 01-05-2010, 05:32 PM

1 posts, read 48,855 times
I am trying to find out a part of greensboro that is low in crime and very nice place to live. I dont have alot of money to spend but Im worried about my 2 small children in a city with a high crime rate. I havent gotten a clear answer from the apt. people. But it looks like the north east side of town is good is that right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point