U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 06:42 PM

11 posts, read 35,775 times

Advertisements

Im in a interracial relationship and I live in Cleveland Oh. My fionce has been offerd a job in Greensboro as a RN at Moses Choen. Is the city "understanding" and where should we lokk for a place to live , Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2006, 07:22 PM

446 posts, read 1,067,612 times
Default Who cares

Who cares if they are or not////is that going to keep you from moving...if so then you have not embrace your relationship with your love one....If I was concerned about what people thought I would never leave my house.

Old 10-25-2006, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,036 times
Greensboro is a college town. Ive never had any problems with the interracial relationships Ive had there.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:46 AM

11 posts, read 35,775 times
Who cares if they are or not////is that going to keep you from moving...if so then you have not embrace your relationship with your love one....If I was concerned about what people thought I would never leave my house.

Im not considering not moving and I have embraced my relationship I was just wondering what to expect. There are a lot of stereotypes about the south up here in the north and I dont want to judge before I see for myself which is wy I am asking these questions. thanx for your responses

Old 10-26-2006, 12:56 PM

477 posts, read 1,454,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydunn View Post
I don't think you understand,nor do I expect you to if you aren't in the same "boat" as us that are in interracial relationships. The big concern in my opinion is for my children. Heck, I live in AZ and was raised in cali and I even got looks and comments living in these places. We do embrace our relationships, but the truth is, to some people we are different and some look down upon this. It's not that we would change for ANYBODY but I darn sure wont be moving somewhere that has a reputation for problems of this nature. It only makes sense to want to feel like we will be accepted. So, your comments, even though not directed at me, seem very illogical and downright hurtful. I mean honestly it would keep ME from moving if it meant my family's happiness and comfort would be in jeopardy........

Old 10-26-2006, 01:38 PM

10 posts, read 32,755 times
I'm not sure about Greensboro. I just moved to Clayton, NC from PA. My husband and two bi-racial children love it and have made many friends.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:08 PM

1,261 posts, read 3,935,610 times
Race relations have been pretty strained here in the past (Woolworth sit-in, Greensboro Massacre), but things have improved considerably since then. You will probably get looks from some, not all. It seems to me that for the most part people here are "live and let live" types. I think it would just depend on what part of Greensboro or Guilford County you lived in. I've never heard of any attacks (verbal or otherwise) or shunnings because a couple were mixed.

If you're church-goers, there could be churches (usually all white or all black) who don't like that kind of thing (some think it's a sin ), but there are also churches that embrace all races and have no problem with people of different races dating and marrying. My pastor preaches against racism and has told people (there have only been a few that I know of) to their faces (firmly, but kindly) who said negative things that they could find another church if they didn't like that we have so many black people. We also have a few mixed couples and they are treated like everyone else.

Anyway, I don't know exactly what you've heard up north (or out west), but things are not how they used to be and are improving as the years go by. Yeah, you could come across some ignorant people, but where are there not ignorant people?

All the best!

Old 10-26-2006, 02:33 PM

52 posts, read 170,117 times
i am in Arizona and thinking about moving to N C are Tenn.and just because we have these question don't mean we not happy with our interracial relationship.because i am very happy with my choice and would never think about change it.but Arizona maybe i do get looked i just never notices it.but i feel if god open up the door for you to move to a place he will protect you.but i have said before it how you carry yourself.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:44 PM

45,269 posts, read 89,894,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallmk1 View Post

Im not considering not moving and I have embraced my relationship I was just wondering what to expect. There are a lot of stereotypes about the south up here in the north and I dont want to judge before I see for myself which is wy I am asking these questions. thanx for your responses
You know, the amazing thing is - you may actually find MORE tolerance and acceptance here than you would in the northeast! Seriously, the old stereotypes of the south are NOT the norm any longer. People here tend to just live and let live

Old 10-26-2006, 04:26 PM

52 posts, read 170,117 times
See that the way i live my life.live and let live.i feel there alot more to worry about in this world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point