Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2014, 06:13 PM

15 posts, read 42,852 times

Advertisements

Another would-be transplant from the northeast. One of the great things about my area is that I don't need a car to get around, for shopping etc. I end up leaving it in my garage for the most part except for weekend getaways. Is there any area in the Triad region most amenable to walking/public transportation. Yes I will have a car, but I'd rather not be lost without it. Also for my wife...good japanese restaurants? (hopefully more than one?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 09:43 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,561 times
As far as Japanese goes you have:

Akashi
Arigoto
Asahi
Don Ishiyaki & Ramen
Fuji Sushi
Hibache Cafe
Izakaya Sushi Republic
Kabuto Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi Bar
Kiha of Japan
Kobe Japanese Restaurant
Kobe of Japan
Kyoto Fantasy Express
Mayuki
Midori Restaurant
Sakura Express
Sakura Ichiban Japanese and Thai Cuisine
Sapporo Fantasy Japanese Steak House
Sushi Republic
Tokyo Express Japanese Restaurant
Tokyo Grill
Tokyo Grill 2
U.S. Sushi
Wasabi Japanese Restaurant & Sushi Bar

Also checked out some of the asian markets and the super g mart(largest international supermarket in nc)

Alright first and foremost you will be using your car a lot more than you used to but it is not that bad, public transportation won't be as fast as you are probably used too, but again it is not that bad. You have the regular gta that runs every 30 minutes,(weekends every hour) it runs until like 1am. except on sunday it stops early at 7pm. Then you have PART bus, this is good if you want to save gas, I used to ride it when I wanted to take random trips to near by Winston or to the Zoo in Asheboro, with my student ID it was a 2 dollar round trip, for non students it is 4(or should I say was), I think they have raised the fair a few cents so it's probably like maybe 4.80 round trip to either winston, highpoint, and like 6 dollar round trip to places like asheboro, pilot mountain(unfortunately it does not drop you off at the mountain, I learned this the hardway when after catching a ride to the mountain I had to run 10 miles to catch the part bus back home), mount airy. There is also the Heat which is more for the students but anybody can ride, it is good if you missed the gta you can catch the heat to xyz location and it is clean.

Back to walkable areas, Downtown, in particular, Elm St. clubs, good food spots, center city park, gallaries, events like city market, first friday, part of the downtown greenway, plus a slew of plan projects on the rise. Outside of elm you check out the cultural center, the history museum

Tate st. is a college area but it has some nice spots too and it is walkable

Then depending on where you will be living at, many areas of the town have access to the park, in particular if you are on battleground you can walk to either the battleground park which is connected to country park which is connected to the Sciquarium.

(elm st)

(center city park)

Old 07-01-2014, 02:21 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
The downtown areas of Greensboro and Winston Salem are the most walkable, but there are other small pockets of walkable areas around too. Winston Salem has a larger downtown, but both are pretty nice with lots of restaurants and entertainment so you couldn't go wrong with either. You will need your car more often than you probably did wherever you're coming from.

In Winston-Salem: West End/Burke Street, Wake Forest/Reynolda, Ardmore, and downtown (4th Street/Old Salem/Brookstown/6th Street/Trade Street/etc.)

Old 07-02-2014, 04:03 PM

15 posts, read 42,852 times
Thanks so much for the generous replies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point