U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 06:30 AM

127 posts, read 555,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J View Post
We picked up a few local papers on our home search near Winston Salem. (Kernersville and Clemmons) and I can tell you first-hand that we saw Dog Bites, family arguements, rain coat stolen from car, etc. Almost no crimes that us northerners consider a real crime! Read a northern paper and say a suburb of Philadelphia and note the rapes, muggings, etc. I can't wait to move to NC even if my apple pie is stolen from the window ledge!!!

Anywhere you go you'll find crime and problems. I guess it's all relative to where you're coming from. Here in the Greensboro area we have our share of problems.

Crime wouldn't be as bad if it wasn't for those troublemakers like Eddie Haskell always causing problems. And we have vandalisim too. Like that darn Ernst T. Bass who keeps breaking windows. And the overcrowding at schools is just horrible. Would you believe the Brady family thinks it's OK to take advantage of the school system by putting 6 kids in public school? That's outrageous! And I just don't know if it's safe to send my kids to school with those hoodlums like Epstein, Horseshack and, worst of all, Vinnie Barberito! And the clothes kids wear to school nowadays... whould you believe that Beaver Cleaver actually wore a shirt with a MONSTER on it to school?!?! Don't get me started about all the noise, with that Fonzie fella and his motorcycle...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2006, 06:57 AM

4 posts, read 9,889 times
You might be correct however I am looking for a good safe place to retire in NC but the stat's look bad almost everywhere I look.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:10 AM

Default You missed the point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitofly View Post
You might be correct however I am looking for a good safe place to retire in NC but the stat's look bad almost everywhere I look.
The whole point to this post was that you can't really trust the numbers. Sometimes the government get's it's information a little mixed up. If they could get their information straight we may not be in Iraq right now and there may not have been a 9/11.

Don't go by published statistics. Read the local papers. Talk to some of the locals. If you have doubts about a neighborhood, drive down there on a Friday or Saturday night, park, and just watch what kind of activity goes on. I once moved into a neighborhood that looked fine when I looked at the house (a rental) but come weekend nights it became a real nightmare (of course, that was in California). If you park somplace to just watch and a someone in the neighborhood calls the cops on you because you look suspicious, that's a GOOD thing.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:13 AM

1,723 posts, read 5,139,804 times
How is that a good thing? That sounds too psychotically obsessed. I don't want to live in a neighborhood full of gestapo types.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
How is that a good thing? That sounds too psychotically obsessed. I don't want to live in a neighborhood full of gestapo types.
If some stranger parked his car at the end of our street at night and just sat there watching the neighborhood, I'd find that a bit suspicious. That's called scoping out a neighborhood.

If you feel OK with neighbors who don't watch out for each other, then maybe you should stay where you are. I feel alot safer living near people who look out for each other.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:33 AM

1,723 posts, read 5,139,804 times
My neighbors watch out for each other just fine, thank you very much.

Calling the police on someone who is sitting on a public street minding his own business is nothing but harassment. "Scoping out a neighborhood" isn't illegal. Now if he were visibly planning on committing a crime, or if we had a good reason to suspect him or her of that, then it would be justified.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:17 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,525,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveInNC View Post
Anywhere you go you'll find crime and problems. I guess it's all relative to where you're coming from. Here in the Greensboro area we have our share of problems.

Crime wouldn't be as bad if it wasn't for those troublemakers like Eddie Haskell always causing problems. And we have vandalisim too. Like that darn Ernst T. Bass who keeps breaking windows. And the overcrowding at schools is just horrible. Would you believe the Brady family thinks it's OK to take advantage of the school system by putting 6 kids in public school? That's outrageous! And I just don't know if it's safe to send my kids to school with those hoodlums like Epstein, Horseshack and, worst of all, Vinnie Barberito! And the clothes kids wear to school nowadays... whould you believe that Beaver Cleaver actually wore a shirt with a MONSTER on it to school?!?! Don't get me started about all the noise, with that Fonzie fella and his motorcycle...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - VERY entertaining, thanks for the walk down memory lane

Old 11-01-2006, 09:20 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,525,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitofly View Post
PLEASE don't let the stats deter you. There are many safe areas in NC! There can be many explanations that would make you feel better about the numbers if you only researched them

Old 11-01-2006, 05:26 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,459,107 times
liveInNC.....

I know what you mean about the crime statistics being confusing. I drive myself crazy looking at them as I too am trying to find a "new home" in the mountains.

I found a website that I think is pretty good. The information is based on the final 2004 FBI crime statistics. Hopefully, the link below in which I did a comparison of Compton and Greensboro will give you additional information. Then too you can compare any other cities in which you have an interest.

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

I know I wouldn't want to live in either place. I'm from Burbank, CA originally and it rated far better than Compton in everything but theft and for a huge city, it was far better than many of the little towns I've looked into in VA, WV, NC, and TN.

Take care and good luck.

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 06:21 AM..

Old 11-01-2006, 05:31 PM

9 posts, read 88,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveInNC View Post
Your math seems to have some problems.

Greensboro NC
Median household income: $39,661 adjusted to cost of living = 53,917

Compton CA
Median household income: $31,819 adjusted to cost of living = 23,405

El Monte CA
Median household income: $32,439 adjusted to cost of living = 23,861

These numbers seem to show that both Compton AND El Monte California are more poverty stricken than Greensboro. Have you BEEN to Compton?
Ok, You're trying to compare cities of completely Different Sizes!!
What is Greensboro? 200K^^, uhh yeah... and what is Compton? Half the size of Greensboro. Plus I don't even think stats are ever accurate, they can only go by whats there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point