Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 03:48 AM

11 posts, read 54,483 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am moving to the area North of Dobson. It is west of I-77 about 3 miles down Hwy 89. I am coming from Northern Kentucky and figure my new home will be a zone warmer-I hope! I was wondering how well some things do there that struggle here.
Fig trees-I'm thinking the hardier varieties like Brown Turkey
Lantana-any varieties that winter over?
Crepe Myrtle-I've seen some around, but where I'm going will there be die-back? Here they can die to the ground so are often like large shrubs.

Had I gotton much further west from where I am moving I don't think the winters would have been any milder due to the higher elevation, and one reason I was really looking forward to NC was the hope for warmer winters-I'm originally from Florida and Kentucky has been mighty cold! I had figs in Florida but in Kentucky they die almost all the way to the ground even when I wrap them and I never have enough time for the fruit to ripen before the weather turns cold. I guess I never got the wrapping done right. Any advice form gardeners will be helpful. By the way, does the Surry county area have anywhere to purchase compost by the truckload? Any good plant nurseries in the area? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 08:18 AM

525 posts, read 2,122,692 times
My crepe myrtles do very well- they are huge and bloom nicely in the spring.
I have a fig tree that has never borne fruit. But it's also huge.

Good luck!

Old 12-06-2007, 10:54 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times
I'm not a gardener, so I don't understand your terminology.

What do "winter over" and "die-back" mean?

Old 12-06-2007, 02:28 PM

Winter over means a plant that survives over the winter to regrow in the Spring. For instance in Florida the same lantana plant will grow year to year. It loses all the leaves but releafs in the spring. But in Kentucky it is treated as an annual, you plant it in the spring but the cold kills it over the winter. A plant that is a perinnial in a warmer climate may not survive a cold winter and is just used as an annual up North. Die back is just the damage the cold causes plants, sometimes it is just pruned out in the spring, sometimes it kills all growth to the ground as it does my fig trees here in Kentucky, but they resprout from the roots every spring. The same for my crepe myrtles here, but since they bloom on new growth they make beautiful shrubs, but I long for a tree form so I can enjoy the wonderful bark they have.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:46 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,120,292 times
Thumbs up NCSU Has The Answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machree View Post
Hi all, I am moving to the area North of Dobson. It is west of I-77 about 3 miles down Hwy 89. I am coming from Northern Kentucky and figure my new home will be a zone warmer-I hope! I was wondering how well some things do there that struggle here.
Fig trees-I'm thinking the hardier varieties like Brown Turkey
Lantana-any varieties that winter over?
Crepe Myrtle-I've seen some around, but where I'm going will there be die-back? Here they can die to the ground so are often like large shrubs.

Had I gotton much further west from where I am moving I don't think the winters would have been any milder due to the higher elevation, and one reason I was really looking forward to NC was the hope for warmer winters-I'm originally from Florida and Kentucky has been mighty cold! I had figs in Florida but in Kentucky they die almost all the way to the ground even when I wrap them and I never have enough time for the fruit to ripen before the weather turns cold. I guess I never got the wrapping done right. Any advice form gardeners will be helpful. By the way, does the Surry county area have anywhere to purchase compost by the truckload? Any good plant nurseries in the area? Thanks.
I suggest you Google search each topic for answers from The North Carolina State University Horticulture Dept. They have a wealth of information and I don't plant until I read what they have to say.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:41 AM

Thanks that is a great idea. So, any good sources for compost or a really fabulous nursery close to the Surry county area?

Old 12-08-2007, 08:54 AM

93 posts, read 309,933 times
Machree,

This area lies between hardiness zones 7 and 8. You can even plant full sized 15 to 20 feet (Chinese varieties) Palm trees in your yard. Crepe Myrtles will grow to 20 feet or more. They never die back. Most any fruit tree does well here. Good luck to you.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:00 PM

john t, I was thinking that the location I am writing about was on the edge of zone 7, close to zone 6, since the area I am talking about is almost in (I'm thinking) Allegheny county which I believe is zone 6. Since it is so close to zone 6 -so I thought- I was hoping someone who lived in that area could let me know if it is more 6-ish or 7-ish. Maybe I haven't seen an updated zone map, I've heard the maps have changed due to warmer winters. Isn't zone 8 more toward the center of the state and eastward? I would love to be in zone 7 almost 8!

Old 12-11-2007, 12:28 PM

93 posts, read 354,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machree View Post
john t, I was thinking that the location I am writing about was on the edge of zone 7, close to zone 6, since the area I am talking about is almost in (I'm thinking) Allegheny county which I believe is zone 6. Since it is so close to zone 6 -so I thought- I was hoping someone who lived in that area could let me know if it is more 6-ish or 7-ish. Maybe I haven't seen an updated zone map, I've heard the maps have changed due to warmer winters. Isn't zone 8 more toward the center of the state and eastward? I would love to be in zone 7 almost 8!
that area of NC is zone 7a

try these forums
Gardenweb Carolina
Gardenweb Fruits&Orchards

Old 12-21-2007, 07:02 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
I'm in the Burlington Area, between Greensboro and Durham and I have a fig tree and I get fruit from it. It starts out slowly, and will die back and return from the roots in spring for about ten years before it will become a regular tree and truly start producing fruit. It took about 3 years to get two figs, then 3 or 4 a year for a couple of years, this year over 30, it should actually start to grow not just re-shoot, in the next year or two. (An elderly woman we know has a fig tree that is heavily laden, delicious fruit, she said hers died and came back for about 10 years before it really turned into a fig tree.) It will grow, just be patient with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point