Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2018, 04:17 PM

171 posts, read 159,083 times

Advertisements

Thank you i cant wait !! And it looks like I found some more news about the project December 31 2019 is the date the deck needs to be completed.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...ines-most.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 07:46 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerv2015 View Post
Thank you i cant wait !! And it looks like I found some more news about the project December 31 2019 is the date the deck needs to be completed.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...ines-most.html
Thanks for the update. In my opinion Carroll should focus on getting the deck built first. That way Project Slugger has its parking and Carroll can build its tower on top in his own time line. Over the next several months don't worry about the tower. The deck has already been designed. Just get that process going forward. But the slight delay might be good for Project Slugger because the developers did say the building could go back to 9 stories if they find replacement tenants.

Old 05-12-2018, 11:10 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,960,599 times
I wonder when they're going to break ground on the deck portion.

Especially now that we know the deadline, it better be soon since roy has been given a second chance.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:18 AM

While slow, construction is progressing on Carroll at Bellemeade Apartments / Hyatt Place Hotel. Carroll at Bellemeade will be the "sister" apartment complex of CityView at Southside on the south end of downtown which Roy Carroll also owns.

The exterior of the hotel is almost completely done

The apartments exterior is starting to take shape. Where you see the orange and blue areas in the center part of the building on the left, there is suppose to be some nice wood paneling.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 05-13-2018 at 10:39 AM..

Old 05-14-2018, 08:57 PM

another photo of Carroll at Bellemeade

Old 05-15-2018, 06:04 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,380,824 times
How about some pictures of people actually moving in? Like maybe before the decade is over?

Old 05-16-2018, 12:22 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,960,599 times
Ripped from TBJ locked content.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...-time-for.html

CRANE WATCH:
Carroll: Meeting parking deck deadline in time for office building is 'feasible'
Save

If a file photo, developer Roy Carroll stands at the corner of Eugene and Bellemeade Streets in downtown Greensboro where a parking deck in tandem with the city continues to be negotiated. At issue is whether Carroll could construct the deck, which he plans to top with a hotel and office space, in time for the opening of the neighboring Project Slugger office building planned by developers Robin Team and John Martin.
Enlarge

If a file photo, developer Roy Carroll stands at the corner of Eugene and Bellemeade Streets in downtown Greensboro where a parking deck in tandem with the city continues to be negotiated. At issue is whether Carroll could construct the deck, which he plans to top with a hotel and office space, in… more

JULIE KNIGHT

By John Brasier
Reporter, Triad Business Journal
May 16, 2018, 1:47pm EDT
Updated 11 minutes ago

There may be a solution that gives the city of Greensboro an aesthetically pleasing, 1,050-spot parking deck facility next to First National Bank Ballpark in time to meet the needs of Project Slugger, the $17-million, six-story office building planned next to the home of the Greensboro Grasshoppers.

That's what developer Roy Carroll told Triad Business Journal on Tuesday afternoon. Carroll plans for a $100-million hotel/office/retail complex atop a proposed city-owned parking deck at the southwest corner of Eugene and Bellemeade streets, seemed abandoned by the city three weeks ago. But he told TBJ Tuesday that his planned public parking deck could be completed by the end of 2019, when Project Slugger is scheduled to open. Construction of office space and a hotel on top of the deck would come later.

"It's certainly feasible," Carroll said. "We need to get together on all the deadlines. That's what we're discussing now."

Carroll said a text last week from David Parrish, the interim city manager, reopened discussions. In late April, outgoing City Manager Jim Westmoreland and Mayor Nancy Vaughan said the city had veered toward a "Plan B option ," a 600- to 700-space, free-standing parking deck that it was confident could be ready in time for Project Slugger's opening. Westmoreland and Vaughan said they were not satisfied sufficient progress had been made in negotiations with The Carroll Cos.

An early rendering depicts the Bellemeade deck, though Roy Carroll's broader plans call for additional office space and a hotel on top of the deck that he has said would make it the tallest building in the city.

An early rendering depicts the Bellemeade deck, though Roy Carroll's broader plans call for additional office space and a hotel on top of the deck that he has said would make it the tallest building in the city.
Though Carroll said he had "never been treated" in a similar fashion to the city's April decision to introduce Plan B, which he said caught him "off-guard," he said he considers city government leaders and Project Slugger developer Robin Team as "family and friends," and harbors no ill will toward them. The situation is sensitive in that has the city negotiating conflicting concerns between two of the Triad's most prolific developers, each of which was recently noted by The Business Journals as national commercial real estate "Influencers."

"Regardless what decision the city makes, I'm still going to do developments in Greensboro," he said. "I have no hard feelings with anybody. I fully support Project Slugger."

If the city opts for Plan B, Carroll said he would proceed with plans for a hotel (listed as an Aloft by a Starwood Hotels website, but not confirmed by Carroll), along with office space, retail and restaurants on his property at 201 N. Eugene, but his private parking deck and the project would be smaller.

The six-story Project Slugger office building planned by Robin Team and John Martin needs parking in place by the end of 2019, when the office building is slated to open.

The six-story Project Slugger office building planned by Robin Team and John Martin needs parking in place by the end of 2019, when the office building is slated to open.

Vaughan and Westmoreland told TBJ that having a parking deck ready for Project Slugger tenants, which include the Tuggle Duggins law firm on the top floors, was their priority. Team told the city that he had lost prospective tenants for the office building, originally planned as nine stories, due to delays in building a parking deck. Carroll had told the city that he wanted to wait for tenant commitments for the project before beginning construction.

Last week, Vaughan told TBJ that she preferred Carroll's parking deck -- if it could be completed in time to meet Project Slugger's needs. Team said meeting Slugger's December 2019 deadline was of paramount importance. But he seemed to leave a crack in the door -- if a firm schedule could be agreed on with Carroll. Carroll has expressed frustration because it was the city that first approached him about a city-owned parking deck when his original plans called for a smaller, private deck to accommodate his hotel.

"Temporary solutions won't work long-term," Team told TBJ previously, referring to any delays that could push deck completion past when his building is slated to open. "I'd have to go back and talk to the tenants."

While expressing support for Project Slugger, Carroll told TBJ that the city should consider a bigger picture when making a parking deck decision. The city estimated that Plan B, a free-standing parking deck on Guilford Merchants Association property on the southeast corner of Eugene and Bellemeade, could cost up to $25 million. Carroll's proposed deck, designed by Gensler, the nation's largest architectural firm, was budgeted for up to $30 million by the city. With the city-owned parking deck, Carroll's project is expected to be the Triad's tallest building.

"Why would you build a $25 million parking deck for a six-story office building?" Carroll said to TBJ. "I don't want people to look out the door of my hotel and see a precast (concrete), standalone parking deck. I don't think that's in the best interest of downtown Greensboro. We need to consider what's best for the development of the entire downtown area."

Carroll said a handful of Greensboro City Council members had contacted him, offering him support. After Plan B was made public, Greensboro Downtown Inc. President Zack Matheny told TBJ that he would like to see Parrish contact Carroll to see if the original plan could be saved.

Carroll and Matheny told TBJ they believe "timing," including an April 15 tornado in Greensboro and the April 27 retirement of Westmoreland, were major factors in what they believed was the city's abrupt decision to pursue Plan B.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:43 PM

Carroll says meeting deadline for parking deck is feasible, however his project may be a little smaller to meet that deadline. Instead of going for the tallest building in NC outside of Charlotte he would settle for the Triad's tallest. I'm definitely ok with that. It's going to be a soaring addition to Greensboro's skyline.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...-time-for.html

Old 05-16-2018, 01:18 PM

85 posts, read 168,214 times
On a side note: An eight lane upscale bowling alley with a restaurant and bar serving cocktails and craft beer is planned for the corner of S. Elm Street and Lewis. The building used to be an old gas station. I think this would be a great addition to the south end of downtown if done correctly.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...t-rolling.html

Old 05-16-2018, 01:29 PM

185 posts, read 199,237 times
That would be a neat addition to downtown!!! I finally got to check out the Boxcar acarade and it was a really good crowd there for a week night. lots of fun throw back games and they had a nice seating area outside which was nice to sit out on and people watch. I even got to try a pineapple flavored beer which was pretty tasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point