Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2019, 06:48 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,080,745 times

Advertisements

Happy to see another brewery take the former Gibb's spot! There was definitely a void on our Friday/Saturday nights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 08:07 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,222,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
Happy to see another brewery take the former Gibb's spot! There was definitely a void on our Friday/Saturday nights.
Thats one reason why I don't get upset when an establishment closes or leaves downtown because another one will quickly take its place. But there are some restaurants downtown like Cincy's that have been there for over 30 years.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:56 PM

Downtown to get another public space. Hamburger Square will basically be turned into a pocket park. Because of the roads, I would recommend traffic calmers because people fly going under that bridge.

https://www.greensboro.com/blogs/got...b53be5de5.html

FOX 8 video link.

https://myfox8.com/2019/01/15/improv...in-greensboro/

Last edited by gsoboi78; 01-15-2019 at 05:13 PM..

Old 01-15-2019, 06:20 PM

The Hampton Inn and Suites is going up nicely. I'll have to take some photos. A lot of development and beautification is happening downtown. Downtown Greensboro actually gets a lot of nationally televised exposure on the TLC reality show My Big Fat Fabulous life. Whitney Thore on the show is from Greensboro and the show is filmed here. They constantly show downtown scenes and Greensboro's skyline. Think its on its 4th or 5th season.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:14 AM

57 posts, read 51,340 times
The Hamburger square project should really pair nicely with the streetscape the city and DGI are working on as well as the downtown greenway. Downtown has historically been lacking a lush, green feeling and I am glad to see this is changing.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:21 AM

475 posts, read 684,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Downtown Greensboro actually gets a lot of nationally televised exposure on the TLC reality show My Big Fat Fabulous life. Whitney Thore on the show is from Greensboro and the show is filmed here. They constantly show downtown scenes and Greensboro's skyline. Think its on its 4th or 5th season.
I agree, the shows has great shots of the city/downtown. I was wondering if you had seen it. The only reason I stopped by the channel (very recently) was because I heard them mention Greensboro when channel flipping. I watched the episode during which they took Whitney to a kitten cafe downtown. In the city scenes they select, GSO actually looks its size on TV.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
I agree, the shows has great shots of the city/downtown. I was wondering if you had seen it. The only reason I stopped by the channel (very recently) was because I heard them mention Greensboro when channel flipping. I watched the episode during which they took Whitney to a kitten cafe downtown. In the city scenes they select, GSO actually looks its size on TV.
Oh yes. After commercial breaks or scene cuts they show downtown scenes with people and nice aerials day and night shots of downtown. I actually met Whitney.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:53 AM

57 posts, read 51,340 times
Has anyone heard any update on some of the planned projects in Greensboro that haven't materialized? Specifically, the Westin Hotel and "Project Slugger". I'm hoping both are still on but after months of consistent news coverage I now am unable to find any updates on these projects.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mh_85 View Post
Has anyone heard any update on some of the planned projects in Greensboro that haven't materialized? Specifically, the Westin Hotel and "Project Slugger". I'm hoping both are still on but after months of consistent news coverage I now am unable to find any updates on these projects.
Construction on the Westin will begin sometime between late spring and early fall. Land has been cleared and one lane of Davie Street has been closed off around the site. Project Slugger will move forward once construction on the nearby city deck is underway. The Hampton Inn and Suites is making progress. Some of the walls with windows have been erected and there is some visible exterior brick. Won't be long before they'll bring a crane on site.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:47 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,053,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Construction on the Westin will begin sometime between late spring and early fall. Land has been cleared and one lane of Davie Street has been closed off around the site. Project Slugger will move forward once construction on the nearby city deck is underway. The Hampton Inn and Suites is making progress. Some of the walls with windows have been erected and there is some visible exterior brick. Won't be long before they'll bring a crane on site.
We'll see about either project. Project Slugger probably will eventually be built. The Westin won't IMO. They've already delayed it several times and I'm still not sure how feasible it is. If a Marriott is struggling and then you add a Hampton Inn and Suites as well as a Hyatt Place, how is an even higher end hotel expected to succeed?

If a hotel is built where the Westin is "expected" to go, I would bet money it would be under a different (lower end) brand. If I'm not mistaken I remember reading there's already a rumbling or two that it won't be a Westin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point