Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2019, 08:57 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,960,149 times

Advertisements

All this height talk makes me think of the old wydham render, which was extremely unremarkable to say the least.

[IMG][/IMG]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 09:14 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,223,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
All this height talk makes me think of the old wydham render, which was extremely unremarkable to say the least.

[IMG][/IMG]
That was the very first rendering when the Westin was a proposed Wyndham. In that design the hotel was built on top of the Elm Street Center. I'm definitely glad they changed the flag, Westin is a slightly higher end flag. It was a blessing the Wyndham didn't get the tax credits to build. That allowed the Elm Street Center people to regroup, bring in Maryland developer Greg Dillon and build a Westin instead. The old Wyndham proposal was an even shorter hotel. 9 or 10 stories. But Greensboro getting a Westin 15 to 20 years ago would have been unthinkable especially downtown. This hotel project has been over 10 years in the making. I'm even more excited with what Roy Carroll has planned south of the ballpark.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 04-06-2019 at 09:30 PM..

Old 04-08-2019, 07:37 AM

511 posts, read 510,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Final design to be built. Looks like a last minute design change because the other design matches the deck better. The city had designed the deck to match the hotel design but the developer had the hotel redesigned. The city wasn't going to spend money to have the deck redesigned to match the redesigned hotel. The final design is more contemporary and modern. My only complaint is that the design of the deck under the hotel just completely falls apart near the canopy unless developer Greg Dillon has future plans for a pedestrian bridge over Davie St. to the News and Record property he's purchasing.
I'm sick of beige. Hopefully they will paint the parking garage to match the Westin.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post
I'm sick of beige. Hopefully they will paint the parking garage to match the Westin.
True. A lot of what's being built has earth tone colors. Carroll sort of deviated from that with Carroll at Bellemeade. Id also prefer a deck that matched the Westin. The city should have gone with a modern approach.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
True. A lot of what's being built has earth tone colors. Carroll sort of deviated from that with Carroll at Bellemeade. Id also prefer a deck that matched the Westin. The city should have gone with a modern approach.
bellemeade color blocking reminds me of more Midwestern style buildings.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:26 AM

First Broadway season for the Steven Tanger Center announced

https://www.greensboro.com/life/tang...645f645.html#1

Old 04-11-2019, 12:37 PM

241 posts, read 237,373 times
Quote:
First Broadway season for the Steven Tanger Center announced

https://www.greensboro.com/life/tang...645f645.html#1

Awesome. Was really hoping for Hamilton but these are some big productions. Will definitely be seeing the Lion King and 1 or 2 others.

Old 04-11-2019, 02:36 PM

Just came from walking uptown after watching the event at tanger, have to say it feels so much more upscale uptown in general, complete 180 compared to even 5 years ago, even seen some seriously high dollar cars parked in front of carroll at bellemeade and around the hyatt hotel. And i mean high dollar like an aston martin Vanquish and ferrari 488 spyder. Like a mini rodeo drive.

I know FCI is in greensboro...so of course you're going to see them.

But it looks so Impressive beside carroll at bellemeade.

Last edited by YinXyang; 04-11-2019 at 02:53 PM..

Old 04-11-2019, 08:34 PM

Rosemary Plybon interview on the downtown Hyatt Place. Great views of the ballpark from the suites and hotel pool. The pool area technically isn't open but it will have a bar and live music on Fridays and special events. The hotel bar on the ground level is open to both guests and the public.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iLoFvvy6D3I&t=8s

Old 04-14-2019, 09:05 AM

Looks like there will be a very large centerpiece artwork/sculpture on the 2 story high ceiling of the Phillips Hall lobby in the Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts. Matt Brown with the city of Greensboro said there will be a big surprise and that the centerpiece on the ceiling will be 15 feet wide by 75 feet long. It is being designed by an internationally known artist being paid for by the Phillips Foundation. Two sections of the exterior wall along North Elm Street will be covered by Virginia Creeper Ivy vines to add warmth and color to the monolithic white exterior. A second floor outdoor terrace will overlook LeBauer Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point