Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 01:51 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,624,356 times

Advertisements

I read about Hickory Tavern. Wasn't familiar with them. Welcome to Hickory Tavern | Hickory Tavern | THE OFFICIAL PREFERRED GAMEDAY LOCATION OF THE CAROLINA PANTHERS Hickory Tavern is the perfect place for a business lunch - or - lunch with the girls. It's perfect for dinner after the kids' base
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 04:27 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,546,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
P.F. Chang's is coming...somewhere in W-S in 2015

P.F. Chang’s restaurant coming to Winston-Salem | myfox8.com
The funny thing is I had always assumed Winston had one.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:42 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,296,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
The funny thing is I had always assumed Winston had one.
Am I the only one who hates P.F. Chang's and thinks their food is gross?

Old 01-12-2015, 06:46 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,368,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS94 View Post
That's a much stronger feeling than I have, but I definitely don't get the big deal people make about it. I'd rather have Thai Sawatdee or Sampan or some place like that any day of the week. But hey, to each their own.

The thing I've noticed about Winston is that there's definitely a "mall crowd" and a "downtown crowd." (Forgive me painting with such a broad brush. I know there are exceptions.) An awful lot of the people who eat at Chili's and Texas Roadhouse and Cheddar's and wherever else on Hanes Mall and Stratford probably aren't the same people regularly visiting Mozelle's and Mary's and Honey Pot and Fourth Street Filling Station. My impression is that Hickory and PF Changs might just pull some of that mall crowd in, but probably won't lure too many of that downtown crowd out. I live closer to the mall chains than I do to the local downtown spots, but on our rare nights out, we'd rather go to Willow or Foothills or someplace like that than Applebee's or Outback. Different strokes.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
It doesn't do anything for me (don't care for Chinese food much anyway), but my wife likes it. The only P.F. Chang's I've been to was in Portland, it was way too loud; definitely not the spot for a romantic meal. Don't know if they're all like that.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
That's a much stronger feeling than I have, but I definitely don't get the big deal people make about it. I'd rather have Thai Sawatdee or Sampan or some place like that any day of the week. But hey, to each their own.

The thing I've noticed about Winston is that there's definitely a "mall crowd" and a "downtown crowd." (Forgive me painting with such a broad brush. I know there are exceptions.) An awful lot of the people who eat at Chili's and Texas Roadhouse and Cheddar's and wherever else on Hanes Mall and Stratford probably aren't the same people regularly visiting Mozelle's and Mary's and Honey Pot and Fourth Street Filling Station. My impression is that Hickory and PF Changs might just pull some of that mall crowd in, but probably won't lure too many of that downtown crowd out. I live closer to the mall chains than I do to the local downtown spots, but on our rare nights out, we'd rather go to Willow or Foothills or someplace like that than Applebee's or Outback. Different strokes.
I guess we're more of the "mall crowd." We rarely go there, but do frequent restaurants on Stratford and Hanes Mall Blvd. Though Fratelli's as one of our favorites. But we enjoy spending time downtown as well. I'm not very adventurous as far as food goes, so unfortunately I usually stick with chains.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:24 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,368,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
I guess we're more of the "mall crowd." We rarely go there, but do frequent restaurants on Stratford and Hanes Mall Blvd. Though Fratelli's as one of our favorites. But we enjoy spending time downtown as well. I'm not very adventurous as far as food goes, so unfortunately I usually stick with chains.
Understand that that wasn't a knock. I definitely understand the allure of chains, as the food is generally more consistent. In my experience, the highs are higher, but the lows are lower at the local places.

As for the crowd differences, it's just something I've noticed. We have friends and co-workers who know all about the comings and goings of the chains but have never set foot in Sweet Potato's or Camino. We, meanwhile, are the opposite. And it's not a socio-economic thing, either. Prices are often comparable. It's just a difference in preference, and it's nice to live in a city that caters to both preferences.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:55 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,147,589 times
PF Chang's will open in Hanestown Village (the new development on Stratford Rd. at the old Hanes Finishing plant location).

Additional tenants will include Muscle Maker Grill (supposedly "healthier" offerings), Tijuana Flats Burrito Co. (never heard of them, at first thought it was the old Tijuana Fats), as well as the previously-announced PDQ Burgers and Hickory Tavern. An OB-Gyn clinic will also be located there.

While I'm not excited at all about Chang's, it is good to see development picking up again in a big way. Now if they can do something about the wretched traffic snarls on Stratford Rd...

Old 01-16-2015, 07:07 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,418,999 times
Quote:
No. No. You are not alone. We have so many great locally-owned Vietnamese places. That's where I go when I get a hankerin.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:11 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,546,198 times
Quote:
It's ok. I would rather dine at an independent. The last time and I do mean last time, we had ordered takeout from PFC. After waiting for an eternity while the ONE person working the take out counter counted every stinking noodle for every freaking order I was told my entrée was no longer on the menu. We left.
Oh, I had placed the order online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point