U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 08:39 AM

17 posts, read 16,951 times

Advertisements

Looking to possibly move in the Greensboro area.
Daughter wants to attend UNCG, and I would love to get out of Jersey.

Working in IT right now, and looking to gauge what the job market is in the area, where to look etc.

Once I figure that out, then I can start to figure where to begin looking at where to live.

Thanks in advance for the advice ~

Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 09:36 AM

7,278 posts, read 13,527,643 times
Not my field, but I've seen quite a few jobs posted on local boards, from help desk stuff to data analysis to systems admin. Information Technology Jobs, Employment in Greensboro, NC | Indeed.com

Old 11-19-2014, 07:08 AM

62 posts, read 63,835 times
Don't limit yourself to GSO. Winston Salem has many opportunities. IT is my field also. Lots of higher eds to choose from in the Triad (for tech positions) as well as insurance, financial and health care. Job market for IT is OK; opportunities are increasing and I have noticed movement of people from one company to another for a better opportunity so I would say companies need to work harder to hold on to good people as opposed to the way it was 5+ years ago. Pay seems to be getting better too. The Triangle may have more opportunities but it's not really commutable to the Triad -- Durham might be a stretch to GSO on a daily basis.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:51 AM

10,401 posts, read 19,422,969 times
Is your daughter a Sr in HS right now? It will be much cheaper for you if you are here at least a year to establish residency before she enrolls (plus, her chances of getting in will be much better being in-state). Technically, unless she's going to live with you, you don't need to be in GSO itself, just in NC, for her to be in the NC pool for both of these reasons? Maybe apply for jobs anywhere in NC, or at least in the Charlotte-to-Raleigh crescent and establish residency.

Maybe more info about how old she is, when you're planning to move, even why she is interested in UNC-G specifically?

Old 11-20-2014, 09:21 AM

She is a Sr in HS currently and wants to go to school somewhere in the south, preferably NC.
Greensboro is not a big as Chapel Hill or expensive as the other offsets of UNC and has the major she wants. PhysEd.
She wants to live on-campus either way, so commuting is not really an issue.

So yes, I would have to pay Out of state rates for the first year, but In-state going forward.

For me personally, I could move tomorrow if I had a job lined up. Started applying to jobs, but I know it not easy getting a call back from an employer in NC, when you have a NJ address, even if you stress enough that you could be there ASAP.

I have been to the Charlotte area a few times and really liked it. I want to get out of the cold winters on NJ, and the insane cost of living up here. I pay 11k year just in property taxes !

Going to make a trip to UNCG in Dec if the weather holds up, and her application gets approved.

I guess it is true in that we dont have to limit ourselves to GSO, just trying to get a better idea of where the job market is best.
We don't want to live in the city, we prefer the burbs, but not the sticks either. Dont need anything big or extravagant. Just a nice place to call home.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:43 AM

1,486 posts, read 1,696,400 times
Living in Greensboro proper might not seem as urban as you might think. I can be downtown or in the sticks in 20 minutes!

Old 11-20-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
Living in Greensboro proper might not seem as urban as you might think. I can be downtown or in the sticks in 20 minutes!

Sounds like a plan !

One, and possibly only good thing about Jersey, I can be to NYC in 30 min, Pocono mtns in 1 hr or the beach in 90 min.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:31 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,105,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamtheaternj View Post
She is a Sr in HS currently and wants to go to school somewhere in the south, preferably NC.
Greensboro is not a big as Chapel Hill or expensive as the other offsets of UNC and has the major she wants. PhysEd.
She wants to live on-campus either way, so commuting is not really an issue.

So yes, I would have to pay Out of state rates for the first year, but In-state going forward.

For me personally, I could move tomorrow if I had a job lined up. Started applying to jobs, but I know it not easy getting a call back from an employer in NC, when you have a NJ address, even if you stress enough that you could be there ASAP.

I have been to the Charlotte area a few times and really liked it. I want to get out of the cold winters on NJ, and the insane cost of living up here. I pay 11k year just in property taxes !

Going to make a trip to UNCG in Dec if the weather holds up, and her application gets approved.

I guess it is true in that we dont have to limit ourselves to GSO, just trying to get a better idea of where the job market is best.
We don't want to live in the city, we prefer the burbs, but not the sticks either. Dont need anything big or extravagant. Just a nice place to call home.
For the house I grew up (parents sold it many years ago) in Westchester County NY, annual property taxes are over $24k per year. It's a nice house, but comparable to what might be ~$400k in the Triad - meaning around $3k per year in taxes in NC.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
For the house I grew up (parents sold it many years ago) in Westchester County NY, annual property taxes are over $24k per year. It's a nice house, but comparable to what might be ~$400k in the Triad - meaning around $3k per year in taxes in NC.

Agreed...From what I have seen doing a quick look around Zillow, one can get a really nice house for 250 - 300k and pay 3k in taxes !

Here -- you don't get much for 300k and you still pay 8-9k in taxes.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:24 PM

7,278 posts, read 13,527,643 times
UNCG's phys-ed program is good. It's housed in the Department of Kinesiology and it's worth a visit. Apparently Wake Forest has a really good program for that too... but a 4 year education there will run you around 200 grand if you pay full freight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or