U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2014, 12:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,801 times

Advertisements

We are a family of three (two moms, one 4 year old) and are considering relocating to Greensboro or Asheboro. My partner has the opportunity to take one of four positions between the two cities. I have never been to NC and am wondering if the area is LGBT friendly, what the schools are like, and what neighborhoods are safe, stable, family neighborhoods - but reasonably priced. We probably would be searching for a three bedroom home under $130,000.

Any information about the area would be incredibly helpful!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 01:08 PM

1,486 posts, read 1,701,274 times
I grew up in Greensboro and recently moved back. In my experience, you will have no problems as an LGBT family here. There are lots of safe neighborhoods, but your budget might be a little low for the ones close in. Look at Green Valley (MIGHT be something there close to your budget if you can put in sweat equity), Guilford Hills, or Garden Homes.

You probably need to visit before making any decisions that would be hard to reverse.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:31 PM

2,653 posts, read 6,097,334 times
To add to what Sue said, I think Greensboro would be a better destination for you than Asheboro. While Asheboro is a nice enough town, it is considerably smaller than Greensboro. And in general, the smaller the town, the less tolerance you'll find. While you may be fine in Asheboro, I know Greensboro is very accepting.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,801 times
Thanks. I was basing my estimate on home prices based on what we would be looking for in MI. To be comparable, we'd probably be able to go up a bit. A visit would probably be unlikely as she has to decide in the next couple of days whether or not to apply and the position would be immediate! Our hometown has a population just under 200,000 so, I'm guessing that Greensboro would be just slightly larger. Nothing like going from tossing around an idea to making an immediate and serious decision! A better question might be, are there any areas of the city that we would want to avoid?

Old 12-04-2014, 02:14 PM

31 posts, read 34,636 times
I would suggest Lindley Park, Westerwood, and Lake Daniel neighborhoods also. Schools in that area are great. Diverse and safe areas. You might have to settle for a 2 bedroom, but the property values will not go down. Very desirable area.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:19 PM

31 posts, read 34,636 times
Anything West and North of Downtown Greensboro is the best bet as far as the best schools, safe neighborhoods.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:26 PM

10,403 posts, read 19,446,853 times
[quote=bevfam;37516111]We are a family of three (two moms, one 4 year old) and are considering relocating to Greensboro or Asheboro. My partner has the opportunity to take one of four positions between the two cities. I have never been to NC and am wondering if the area is LGBT friendly, what the schools are like, and what neighborhoods are safe, stable, family neighborhoods - but reasonably priced. We probably would be searching for a three bedroom home under $130,000.
[quote]

Greensboro will be perfectly accepting (I am a gay man, native to NC. don't live in the Triad, but have several friends there). UNC-Greensboro is there as is Guilford College, but quite liberal.

AVOID Asheboro; Randolph county is just about the "Reddest" county politically in NC. The zoo is nice, and not that you won't find nice people there, but Greensboro is MUCH more what you'd want.

Also consider Winston-Salem, west of Greensboro. It is more "artsy" than Greensboro and about the same size...though farther from Asheboro.

City-Data has nice city capsules on every town/city; here is Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and Asheboro's.

Feel free to PM me with GLBT-specific questions about NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or