U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 11:12 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,244,833 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately I see another one of these( “We are no longer interested in the proposed site in Greensboro, and we are not interested in any other sites in Greensboro at this time,”) quotes coming because folks are chasing away companies, which makes others not want to come either.

@ Sue were there plans to tear down houses to build one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 06:27 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,704,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
Unfortunately I see another one of these( “We are no longer interested in the proposed site in Greensboro, and we are not interested in any other sites in Greensboro at this time,”) quotes coming because folks are chasing away companies, which makes others not want to come either.

Yes, to my understanding. The homes on Friendly between Hobbs and Holden would be torn down.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:25 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,337,792 times
Quote:

It's a seven acre tract that has homes on it.
As for the other part of your statement I think it's absurd to (potentially) have three grocery stores that you can hit by skipping a rock. There can't be anything so unique about Publix, Trader Joes, Wegman's or any other chain that they have to be right there and not somewhere else.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:07 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,244,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
It's a seven acre tract that has homes on it.
As for the other part of your statement I think it's absurd to (potentially) have three grocery stores that you can hit by skipping a rock. There can't be anything so unique about Publix, Trader Joes, Wegman's or any other chain that they have to be right there and not somewhere else.
I'm not saying that they all need to be close to each other(I agree there is already a HT and Whole foods in the area and developers can branch out on where they want to put xyz grocery store), I'm just saying that the approach should be different in regards to how people react to certain developments in the city, I understand that people have their concerns, but I felt like the approach is chasing away companies, even if there are some people who could careless, I feel like other companies will look else where, as well. This isn't just on those who complained, but the city leaders should, from the very outset, suggested better locations.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:31 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,337,792 times
Quote:
I'm not saying that they all need to be close to each other(I agree there is already a HT and Whole foods in the area and developers can branch out on where they want to put xyz grocery store), I'm just saying that the approach should be different in regards to how people react to certain developments in the city, I understand that people have their concerns, but I felt like the approach is chasing away companies, even if there are some people who could careless, I feel like other companies will look else where, as well. This isn't just on those who complained, but the city leaders should, from the very outset, suggested better locations.
Agreed!

Old 01-07-2015, 06:00 AM

4,605 posts, read 4,431,536 times
residents meet developers with great resistant over a third attempt to develop the Hobbs Rd site with retail and a grocery store. Sources indicate it would be a Publix. But this time the new developer is not backing down and has said he is prepared to go to court over this. Arguments can be made whether or not this development is right for this piece of property but it appears as the developer has the right to build this project once the rezoning is approved and city leaders are backing it. I do question why there needs to be another grocery store in that area considering the world's largest Harris Teeter and a Whole Foods grocery store is across the street.

Halpern Development Meets With Neighbors - News-Record.com: Gallery

Old 01-07-2015, 06:51 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,704,709 times
Again, I love Publix and Trader Joe's both. I just don't understand why they need to tear down homes in an already congested area.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:22 AM

19,993 posts, read 19,035,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Including a Publix contradicts the developer saying the project would include high end retailers. I really hope this gets shot down.....again.
Publix is not a high end supermarket like Wegman's. It is a successful conventional supermarket that works up to and maintains a standard of providing quality products, fresh foods and necessities at fair prices and the highest level of customer service.

The major supermarket competition in the Greensboro-Winston-Salem-High Point market is Walmart, Harris Teeter, Lowe's Foods and Food Lion. Publix's entry will adversely affect Food Lion and Lowe's Foods.

I would expect to hear Publix in consideration for new supermarket sites in the market as it moves forward with store #1475's construction in Winston-Salem.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:44 AM

7,280 posts, read 13,549,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The major supermarket competition in the Greensboro-Winston-Salem-High Point market is Walmart, Harris Teeter, Lowe's Foods and Food Lion. Publix's entry will adversely affect Food Lion and Lowe's Foods.
You don't think it will affect Harris Teeter? I do. The Publix locations I've visited (mostly in SC) had far more in common with Harris Teeter than they did with Food Lion, and the Winston store is within shouting distance of a HT.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:56 AM

58 posts, read 78,117 times
Somewhat related...Will High Point get a Trader Joe's? - Greensboro - Triad Business Journal

This quote made me laugh a little in light of their experience in Greensboro "They like to see public support for them coming to a community," Ewing told the newspaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point