U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 10:26 AM

4,579 posts, read 4,393,634 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why Trader Joe's cant pick other locations in Greensboro. The old Bed Bath and Beyond space on High Point Rd would be a good location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 10:49 AM

7,281 posts, read 13,521,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I don't understand why Trader Joe's cant pick other locations in Greensboro. The old Bed Bath and Beyond space on High Point Rd would be a good location.
There's no way in heck their site selection team would go for that spot. They have a very specific model for where they put stores, and it closely follows the sort of demographic characteristics Whole Foods looks for. In Greensboro, Friendly Center was a no-brainer, and I highly doubt High Point Road was ever even on the list.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:08 PM

I really dont know what kind of demographic Trader Joe's is looking for unless it has to do with race because its not like the products in their stores are high priced. I don't know maybe more white people shop at Trader Joe's. If Trader Joe's is such a destination one would think they dont have to be so particular. I mean a West Wendover site in Greensboro would be just as ideal. Its the largest retail area of the city yet there are very few grocery stores there. Great location with very little competition and its off of I-40.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:40 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,302,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Publix is not a high end supermarket like Wegman's. It is a successful conventional supermarket that works up to and maintains a standard of providing quality products, fresh foods and necessities at fair prices and the highest level of customer service.

The major supermarket competition in the Greensboro-Winston-Salem-High Point market is Walmart, Harris Teeter, Lowe's Foods and Food Lion. Publix's entry will adversely affect Food Lion and Lowe's Foods.

I would expect to hear Publix in consideration for new supermarket sites in the market as it moves forward with store #1475's construction in Winston-Salem.
From what I understood reading the article this developer insinuated or associated Publix with high end retail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2010 View Post
Somewhat related...Will High Point get a Trader Joe's? - Greensboro - Triad Business Journal

This quote made me laugh a little in light of their experience in Greensboro "They like to see public support for them coming to a community," Ewing told the newspaper.
Quote:
That article is funny. High Point Rd is out of the question due to the demographic yet the Palladium is as close as you can get to High Point Rd without leaving High Point.
I said it before and I'll say it again if TJs, Publix, Wegman's and other chains are soooo great they shouldn't need to build their first Greensboro locations right on top of two established grocery stores.

Quote:
I really dont know what kind of demographic Trader Joe's is looking for unless it has to do with race because its not like the products in their stores are high priced. I don't know maybe more white people shop at Trader Joe's. If Trader Joe's is such a destination one would think they dont have to be so particular. I mean a West Wendover site in Greensboro would be just as ideal. Its the largest retail area of the city yet there are very few grocery stores there. Great location with very little competition and its off of I-40.
I think the demographic they seek is transplants.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:04 PM

19,983 posts, read 18,915,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
You don't think it will affect Harris Teeter? I do. The Publix locations I've visited (mostly in SC) had far more in common with Harris Teeter than they did with Food Lion, and the Winston store is within shouting distance of a HT.
Publix and Harris Teeter have directly competed against each other in the Hilton Head Island-Bluffton-Beaufort, South Carolina and Charleston, South Carolina markets. It has been almost a year since Publix entered North Carolina and have been competing against Harris Teeter in the Charlotte market.

Publix has competed against Kroger for over 20 years in Georgia. With Harris Teeter now a division, Kroger should know what to expect from Publix in North Carolina markets. Any improvements will be noticed in prices and service.

Publix's egress into the Greensboro-Winston-Salem-High Point market will challenge competitors to step it up. Some stores will get better. Other stores will close their doors and go dark.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:07 AM

7,281 posts, read 13,521,972 times
Quote:
Publix and Harris Teeter have directly competed against each other in the Hilton Head Island-Bluffton-Beaufort, South Carolina and Charleston, South Carolina markets. It has been almost a year since Publix entered North Carolina and have been competing against Harris Teeter in the Charlotte market.

Publix has competed against Kroger for over 20 years in Georgia. With Harris Teeter now a division, Kroger should know what to expect from Publix in North Carolina markets. Any improvements will be noticed in prices and service.

Publix's egress into the Greensboro-Winston-Salem-High Point market will challenge competitors to step it up. Some stores will get better. Other stores will close their doors and go dark.
Disclosure: Do you work for HT/Kroger?

Old 01-08-2015, 10:08 AM

In terms of this site, I do think a Trader Joe's would be better for the location than a Publix. Trader Joe's is more of a specialty grocery store. Publix on the other hand is really a typical supermarket and I don't know if it makes much sense in building a store like that directly across the street from the largest Harris Teeter (Taj-ma-Teeter) in the country. I see Publix and Harris Teeter being more competition than Trader Joe's and Harris Teeter. As far as the neighborhood is concerned, I think their fears are over exaggerated. There are plenty of buffers between the site and most of the homes in the neighborhood. West of the property there is a church and an office building. South of the property Friendly Ave and a brick fence buffers the property from the townhomes across the street and the Shops at Friendly is east of the property. There is a small number of homes north of the property but the developer did say there would be a 100 plus foot buffer and a 13 foot high fence. This development would have very little affect on the vast majority of the neighborhood and I don't think it would generate that much more traffic than there already is in the area. The last proposal with the Trader Joe's would have had an even smaller impact because it would have been a smaller development.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 01-08-2015 at 10:27 AM..

Old 01-08-2015, 08:48 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,228,350 times
Publix isn't that nice to shut down any store here, when it came here(Cary) most of the people hit it up either because it was new to the area, or it was the store they shopped at before they moved here(Outside of having a bunch of people from the NE, they're lots of Georgia and Florida folks in Cary), the same reason I would have been hitting up Harris Teeter, if one had opened up in Augusta when I lived there. The reason why none of these stores ever has to worry too much, is none of them have everything, there are things you can find at Publix that you can't find in Harris Teeter, and there are things in Harris Teeter that you can't find in Publix, and since lowes has upgraded their stores, there are things there, that is flat out better then both Publix and Harris Teeter, and Food Lion has better prices on similar items, I find Trader Joes to be very similar to Earth Fare, except earth fare has prepared foods, and burger for buck sundays, and 60 cent wing sundays, at the same time, it(TJs) does carry items you may not be able to find at other stores, so while it is over hyped, it is still a good addition.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:57 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,302,282 times
Quote:

Your opinion. Having lived here all my life I have yet to witness a grocer come to the area and force others to "step it up." The last grocer who attempted to be a game changer was bought by HT and promptly shuttered. Grocers will generally cater to their demographic.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:21 AM

17 posts, read 14,945 times
Quote:
residents meet developers with great resistant over a third attempt to develop the Hobbs Rd site with retail and a grocery store. Sources indicate it would be a Publix. But this time the new developer is not backing down and has said he is prepared to go to court over this. Arguments can be made whether or not this development is right for this piece of property but it appears as the developer has the right to build this project once the rezoning is approved and city leaders are backing it. I do question why there needs to be another grocery store in that area considering the world's largest Harris Teeter and a Whole Foods grocery store is across the street.

Halpern Development Meets With Neighbors - News-Record.com: Gallery
Is "World's Largest Harris Teeter" really Greensboro's claim to fame? The term Taj MaTeeter was used 10 years ago to the one in South Park in Charlotte. Greensboro needs to keep up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point