U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 10:21 AM

4,593 posts, read 4,407,771 times

Advertisements

Looks like the controversial property next to The Shops at Friendly Center which was considered by Trader Joe's twice is once again being planned for mixed use which could include a "grocer". We'll see if the third time is the charm. Trader Joe's said it was no longer interested in a site in Greensboro, however that's exactly what they said they last two times they had a store planned for the Friendly Center site. I guess we'll have to see if the NIMBYs prevail again.

"Tom Terrell, a Smith Moore Leatherwood attorney who represents Halpern, said the company is showing neighbors more than one site plan for a project intended to have a "grocer and a multi-tenant retail building."
"The developer is not discussing any specific grocers or retailers," he said"

Site once eyed for Trader Joe's back on planning agenda - Greensboro - Triad Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 10:29 AM

7,279 posts, read 13,530,952 times
If the "Friendly Coalition" wouldn't bend for Trader Joe's, I don't see any reason why they'd let this new proposal go through without a fight.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:04 PM

144 posts, read 227,621 times
TJ would have made a fine addition to the shoppes at Quaker Village. Sadly, another dreary WalMart landscape will be built instead.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:28 AM

1,486 posts, read 1,697,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetMission View Post
TJ would have made a fine addition to the shoppes at Quaker Village. Sadly, another dreary WalMart landscape will be built instead.
I thought the same thing. Quaker or Golden Gate.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:53 AM

Well there are rumors that this may not be a Trader Joe's. Apparently the developer planning the project is known for putting Publix stores in its development and has a close relationship with the grocer so this could be a Publix in the works. I find it interesting that this proposal is larger than the first two proposals which I'm sure nearby residents will not like at all. The project would also include high end retailers. Publix has started building smaller neighborhood stores in some markets to compete head on with Trader Joe's. However this developer could still be planning a Trader Joe's. Its either going to be a Publix or a Trader Joe's. There really isn't too many other options.

As far as Trader Joe's, They still could open up a store at the carousel theater site near Friendly Center should Publix open at the Hobbs Road site. Kotis development company has stated they may add a grocery store, retail and a parking deck at the theater site and relocate the theater all together. Hopefully it gets relocated to downtown which is a mile and a half east of the site.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:38 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,313,001 times
Another grocery store is not needed at Friendly. As others here and I, in a different post mentioned, TJs could have located to QV or GG. It's as if TJs is too lazy to compete and is just looking for bleed off from other grocers.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:05 AM

7,279 posts, read 13,530,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Apparently the developer planning the project is known for putting Publix stores in its development and has a close relationship with the grocer so this could be a Publix in the works.
That would make sense. The neighborhood fits Publix's target demo and with a store on the way in Winston, distribution makes sense.

But, again, I would imagine there would be pushback against a Publix just like there was against TJs, right? Unless the NIMBYs didn't have a firm grasp on the TJs value proposition and place in the market.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:33 PM

looks like the project includes a Publix. Paperwork submitted to the city shows a Publix.

Opposition building to another request for rezoning along Friendly Avenue near Hobbs Road | myfox8.com

Old 12-17-2014, 09:37 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,313,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
looks like the project includes a Publix. Paperwork submitted to the city shows a Publix.

Opposition building to another request for rezoning along Friendly Avenue near Hobbs Road | myfox8.com
Including a Publix contradicts the developer saying the project would include high end retailers. I really hope this gets shot down.....again.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:02 AM

1,486 posts, read 1,697,545 times
I have mixed thoughts about this. I would love to shop at Publix. I just don't think they need to tear down houses to build one.

I will show my age. I remember when the Taj-Mah Teeter was a horse pasture. This is the neighborhood where I grew up. I guess I hate to see family homes torn down for more stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point