U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2014, 10:31 AM

91 posts, read 113,912 times

Advertisements

Hello....my family and I will be touring our old stomping grounds at "the G" around Christmas...and just wanted to see if anyone had any good restaurant recommendations!!

I have heard that downtown Greensboro has changed A LOT since we were there last (rooftop bars and such!) and was hoping for a few good ideas as to where we should go.

More than likely we will take a stroll down College Ave.....past our old dorms (awww, the memories) and pop into one of our favorite watering holes on Spring Garden / Tate (if they still exist that is) but would also like to know if there are any other nicer restaurants downtown or nearby that we should check out.

Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 10:44 AM

1,486 posts, read 1,695,431 times
I loved Spring Garden Bar and Grill back in the day. It is no longer there. But Yum Yum still is!

I like Lucky 32, GreenValley Grill, and Printworks for upscale. Coliseum Cafe is great for home cooking. The sushi place on Tate Street is supposed to be really good. I haven't been yet.

Liberty Oak is downtown now. It's really good too.

Have a good time.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:07 AM

Hi Sue....thanks SO much for your response. So sad to hear Spring Garden is no longer there...boohoo. I vaguely remember Yum Yum. What about The Corner Bar?

Is GreenValley Grill downtown as well? Is there a central are in downtown with upscale restaurants and bars?

Old 12-10-2014, 11:32 AM

7,278 posts, read 13,525,158 times
The main drag for restaurants and bars is Elm St. I like Liberty Oak, Crafted (funky upscale tacos), and Table 16, all of which are on Elm. Natty Greene's is a great local brewery, and they're on Elm, too. It's a pretty good spot to just walk around, as well. There are theaters, clubs, a comedy club, etc. The Carolina Theatre does an awesome run of Christmas movies this time of year. http://www.carolinatheatre.com/events-calendar.aspx

Pretty sure the Corner Bar's still kicking, but I've never been there. Closer to the UNCG campus, you'll find Old Town Draught House, which is next to Yum Yum in the middle of campus, practically. It's a good spot for a beer and pub grub.

Green Valley Grill and Printworks are in the O Henry and Proximity hotels, respectively. They are very nice, but they aren't downtown.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:35 AM

GVG is in the O. Henry Hotel at Friendly. It's really nice. There are fun places downtown. It's not so sprawling. What are you looking for specifically?

Old 12-10-2014, 03:29 PM

I think you guys did a find job A pedestrian friendly part of town where we can go to dinner and then possibly grab a drink afterwards. Thanks so much......I'm sure we will have a great time thanks to your suggestions

Old 12-10-2014, 04:58 PM

Please report back!

Old 12-11-2014, 05:46 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,305,804 times
The Corner Bar is still there.
In addition to Table 16 there is Undercurrent & B Christopher's. A new tasting room called Gibbs 100 opened on Lewis St. While beer is featured they do serve wine and it is a fantastic place to hang out. Plenty of seating, no TVs, and they even have board games.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:39 PM

Haha.....okay will do. We will be visiting sometime after Christmas Thanks for all of the lovely suggestions!

Old 12-27-2014, 01:47 PM

Sorry to disappoint, but we opted not to go. Figured we would go in the summer time when there is more daylight hours and it's a bit warmer. Will keep your recommendations handy - THANK YOU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point