Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 09:11 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,960,149 times

Advertisements

Shouldn't Winston and Greensboro be working together to further ehance the triad, As the triads "major" cities they play a key roll in current and future growth for the triad as a whole, i know they are two different cities, but they are literally just a few miles apart(city center wise) it actually almost feels like they could be just one big city.

I know it might not be possible, but i'd like to hear what you all think.

things like transportation systems between the two.

High speed light rail connecting the two for instance.

Etc..I think Greensboro could benefit greatly from winstons world renown medicare system, and Winston Could benefit greatly from Greensboros entertainment/national/international relations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 08:29 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
You're probably not the first to wonder that out loud but I think egos and money will continue to squash any formal partnership. I recall the scam the Minnesota Twins owner was proposing for the triad and a big sticking point was how the tax dollars would be divided.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:15 AM

6,157 posts, read 7,223,297 times
The two cities would certainly benefit from each other success. Winston with its medicine and research and Greensboro with its national sporting events, entertainment, transportation and logistics. Its a no brainer. It seems as though the "Heart of the Triad" initiative has gone cold. I haven't heard anything else about it for several years. It would be a worthwhile project that all three Triad cities can work together on to promote the area as one region.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:23 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,960,149 times
Oh dang, i forgot about High point, the triad seems like it's running on dysfunction.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:29 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
I think that part of the problem is that so-called cooperation is often actually concession. That is "Okay, Greensboro, you're better at X than we are. We'll drop our efforts at X and support yours." or vice-versa. And what's the benefit in that?

Neither city (and I'm focusing on GSO and WS here, as High Point is frankly the third wheel, isn't it?) wants to give up any part of its economy or concede any ground to the other city. And I don't think that's a big deal. Both towns should continue to try to be the absolute best they can be at whatever ventures come their way, and the rest will take care of itself, no?

I think that both cities are more functional now than they have been in years, and a lot of that is because they're more concerned with making their own cities great than they are about working as a region.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:28 AM

In some cases the two cities should work together and in other cases, they should do their own thing. I think when it comes to attracting industry/companies to the region, the cities need to work together in their efforts. This is why the Triangle is an economic powerhouse today. The individual cities of the Triangle didn't do it by themselves.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:48 AM

So you're looking for a geographically concentrated RTP-type effort?

Old 12-16-2014, 12:13 PM

Im not trying to say the Triad should focus on building hi-tech suburban office parks. All I'm saying as that the cities should pool their efforts in attracting companies/industry such as HondaJet for example.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Im not trying to say the Triad should focus on building hi-tech suburban office parks. All I'm saying as that the cities should pool their efforts in attracting companies/industry such as HondaJet for example.
Right. So what's the incentive for Greensboro to help Winston attract a company to downtown Winston? Or vice-versa? The carryover effects are limited. HondaJet is one thing because it's more centrally located, which really is more like the RTP model. I think the cities are just a few miles too far apart and a tad too similar to see the benefits of helping the other attract businesses unless the projects are located between the two cities. And there is some energy in that in-between area (eastern WS, Kernersville, and western GSO) right now with the Union Cross widening project, etc.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:23 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
In some cases the two cities should work together and in other cases, they should do their own thing. I think when it comes to attracting industry/companies to the region, the cities need to work together in their efforts. This is why the Triangle is an economic powerhouse today. The individual cities of the Triangle didn't do it by themselves.
Actually the cities, specifically Raleigh and Durham, of the Triangle have most often active fought the idea that "Raleigh-Durham" is a place and worked on individual identities. Research Triangle Park is a lightening strike that happened 60 years ago and isn't going to be replicated soon, and I don't think the Triad has what it would take anyway (plus it's too close to the real RTP). OTOH, Greensboro and Winston are more similar to each other than Raleigh and Durham are (IMO) and like Ral and Durham, (even more so), people in one city are constantly going to the other for things, so there may be less "jingoism" about one's particular home city there (but I don't know).

I think that like other cities in the Sun Belt, they are growing together regardless, and some kind of regional transit between the cities is inevitable if there isn't already. I don't know that either the Triangle or the Triad will get to the point of having a "Port Authority"-like entity that belongs to both, but doesn't that usually happen with cities that all but merge due to growing into each other?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point