Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 01:37 PM

6 posts, read 27,897 times

Advertisements

I am looking for information about the tax rates in NC. I know some of the basics: income tax rates, sales tax. How about property taxes? Are you taxed on your personal property or just your home and land?

For instance, in Maryland I pay 6% sales tax on all non-food items. I pay income tax, but I pay almost half what I would if I made the same income in NC. I do not pay tax on my cars or personal property. I pay property tax on my home (about $2500 per year for a $450K property). I am not knowledgeable about taxes on gasoline.

It seems like NC's tax structure is much higher than what I'm used to. Do these numbers sound correct to those of you in the triad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 02:09 PM

78 posts, read 294,436 times
hey, I'm not in nc yet ,but if you go on RETIREMENT LIVING INFORMATION CENTER - Retirement Communities and senior lifestyle data it breaks down all the taxes from all the states,,I'm sure other people could give you some info,but I found that site to have some good info

Old 01-04-2008, 02:14 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
I moved from the DC burbs of Maryland to NC. Unlike Maryland's piggy-back income tax, there's no county-based income tax here. The 2007 NC income tax rate is 6-8%, depending upon your filing status and your taxable income. The top rate decreases to 7.75% for the 2008 tax year.

The property tax rate varies from county to county. If you choose to live within a municipality or a special taxing district, you'll pay an additional property tax for those services. NC considers both tagged and untagged motor vehicles as property along with trailers, aircraft & watercraft in addition to land and structures.

Sales tax is a two-part tax here, state and local. The current state portion is 4.25%. Again, the local tax portion varies depending on the county of residence, but most counties are 2.5% yielding a combined sales tax rate of 6.75%, but some counties will be higher than that.

Taxation of food in NC is a bit complicated, but generally the state government doesn't tax unprepared food, but your local government will. It basically comes down to the actual item and how it's sold.

Income Tax - Individual Income Tax

Food Sales Tax - http://www.dornc.com/practitioner/sa.../section19.pdf

Property Tax - N.C. Property Tax

Last edited by mm34b; 01-04-2008 at 02:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point