U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 07:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,438 times

Advertisements

Hi!

My company recently opened a Company branch in ROCKINGHAM, NC and they are offering a promotion to relocate to that branch.

Can anyone tell me "How is Rockingham, NC?"

Crime activity: Is it dangerous? City Data Demographics shows it to be above US average concerning criminal activity. Is that bad?

Can anyone who lives there, tell me how is it living there? Do I have to worry about getting shot, raped or killed if I move there? PLEASE! Need some one to give me some kind of input about living there.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 06:12 AM

58 posts, read 77,796 times
Based on driving thru there on the way to Myrtle Beach it doesn't look great, obviously that's not a very in depth or nuanced analysis though. You may not get a lot of hits on this topic here since the city of Rockingham is pretty far away from the Triad. I'm assuming you do mean the city, not Rockingham County (which is in the Triad)...

Old 12-16-2014, 06:47 AM

1,486 posts, read 1,694,213 times
Brown Summit is a nicer place to live I think. The commute would be easy.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:06 AM

2,647 posts, read 6,083,157 times
^ Sue, the OP is asking about the city of Rockingham, not Rockingham County.

To the OP, like most eastern NC towns, Rockingham is suffering economically from the exodus of its former industrial base. Unemployment is high along with poverty levels. That said, there are nice, safe areas in which to live, as crime is generally concentrated in more undesirable areas of town. There are many benefits to living in a small town--real estate is very affordable, people are friendly, you are less than 2 hours from the beach and from the major urban areas (Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, Columbia, SC). You are close to Blewett Falls Lake, Lake Tillery, the Uwharrie National Forest, Sandhills Game Lands, and other recreational opportunities.

You just may find that you like it there.

Last edited by arbyunc; 12-16-2014 at 08:35 AM..

Old 12-16-2014, 08:20 AM

1,486 posts, read 1,694,213 times
Ah, of course. I stand corrected. I go to Rockingham County a lot. Not Rockingham. Tks.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:52 AM

10,673 posts, read 11,296,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
To the OP, like most eastern NC towns, Rockingham is suffering economically from the exodus of its former industrial base.
Huh. I never thought of Rockingham as "eastern NC". I guess I can see how you might lump it in with the Sandhills, but I never really thought of it as part of that region, either. I have an acquaintance from there. I'll have to ask her. Usually I think of "eastern NC" as east of I-95. I'm originally from Fayetteville, so Rockingham was west for us. It's also west of Raleigh and the Triangle. And nearly due south of G-boro.

Track-track, I'm going to agree with the others that the last time I drove through Rockingham it looked fairly careworn. There are some great ruins there, though. If you don't mind a 30 minute commute you could consider living in Southern Pines/Pinehurst. It's a very nice, well-heeled community.

Rockingham is really close to Hamlet, where the horrible chicken plant fire was. There used to be a race track in Rockingham, but I think that might be closed now. Rockingham Speedway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-16-2014, 05:08 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,581,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by track-track View Post
Hi!

My company recently opened a Company branch in ROCKINGHAM, NC and they are offering a promotion to relocate to that branch.

Can anyone tell me "How is Rockingham, NC?"

Crime activity: Is it dangerous? City Data Demographics shows it to be above US average concerning criminal activity. Is that bad?

Can anyone who lives there, tell me how is it living there? Do I have to worry about getting shot, raped or killed if I move there? PLEASE! Need some one to give me some kind of input about living there.

Thank you!

So your thread can get response to answer your desired questions , posters are confuse of the location of your company. Are you referring to the city which is near the southern border of the sandhills or are you near Eden or Reidsville in the northern range of the Piedmont.

This way this thread can get the desire responses you desire.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 12-18-2014, 02:44 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,344,661 times
Rockingham is considered part of the Charlotte media market, but it is really on the far fringe and not that closely associated. And it is also on the fringes of Greensboro, Raleigh, Columbia and Florence/Myrtle Beach. But it has always seemed more of an isolated pit stop along Hwy. 74 on the way to the beach, and more a part of the Sand Hills or Pee Dee regions. Sort of an area to itself, about 2 hours from several metro regions. But not necessarily a bad place, but I haven't been there recently.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:02 PM

2,647 posts, read 6,083,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Huh. I never thought of Rockingham as "eastern NC". I guess I can see how you might lump it in with the Sandhills, but I never really thought of it as part of that region, either. I have an acquaintance from there. I'll have to ask her. Usually I think of "eastern NC" as east of I-95. I'm originally from Fayetteville, so Rockingham was west for us. It's also west of Raleigh and the Triangle. And nearly due south of G-boro.
Hey Poppy, I grew up in Laurinburg, just east of Rockingham, and we always considered ourselves to be in eastern NC (although southeastern is more accurate), but it is definitely on the edge. Also, because the area lies in the Coastal Plain many would consider it to be "eastern" NC. And Rockingham is definitely in the Sandhills "region"...it lies on the western edge of the Sandhills, and it's only 10 miles or so from the Sandhills Game Land.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:26 PM

10,673 posts, read 11,296,076 times
Some maps have Richmond county in the piedmont and some have it divided. In either case I think Rockingham is right on the border. I've always thought of Lauringburg as SE NC, too. I spent a fair amount of time in Scotland County growing up. I have relatives down in Robeson County, too.

Our State Geography in a Snap: Three Regions Overview | NCpedia
North Carolina Climate & Georgraphy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point