U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 10:25 PM

124 posts, read 140,568 times

Advertisements

Several reports online but locally it can found Macy's And J.C. Penney Stores Closing In Triad

Clearance sales start next week. Question for the forum....are there too many department stores in the Triad area? Oak Hollow Mall is basically a goner....Four Seasons lost a Belk....Wendover loses Macy's. What's your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 07:40 AM

58 posts, read 77,919 times
I didn't know there was a Macy's on Wendover Avenue...not that surprising they are closing since Friendly Center more than fills that need.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:36 PM

31 posts, read 34,571 times
I'm guessing it's the one that's off of Bridford Parkway by College Road next to Dicks? I never knew why they built there anyway.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:41 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,313,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by java323 View Post
I'm guessing it's the one that's off of Bridford Parkway by College Road next to Dicks? I never knew why they built there anyway.
That's the one and I don't understand the reference by the news to the store being on Wendover. It's misleading.
I think that location was Hects originally bought out by Macys?

Old 01-11-2015, 11:05 AM

94 posts, read 125,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvlscrkeva View Post
Several reports online but locally it can found Macy's And J.C. Penney Stores Closing In Triad

CLEARANCJJJJJE sales start next week. Question for the forum....are there too many department stores in the Triad area? Oak Hollow Mall is basically a goner....Four Seasons lost a Belk....Wendover loses Macy's. What's your thoughts?
The Big Enclosed Malls are dying off. I don't believe they are being built anymore. Greensboro has an over abundance of
Commercial strip centers which hurts these Malls and also Downtown. I hate to see Four Seasons going down but
That neighborhood is having its challenges.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:21 AM

124 posts, read 140,568 times
As a former employee of Macy's.... Even though that store is techically not on Wendover Avenue...the company refers to that officially as the Wendover Avenue location...even going back to when we were under the May Company brand. The company uses "Wendover" as that this the more popular geographical reference point, not the "College Road" physical address. It is misleading as I remember putting it in my GPS, and I was thrown off too! Lol!

Get ready for sales!

Old 01-11-2015, 12:02 PM

4,592 posts, read 4,407,771 times
Greensboro doesn't need two Macy's anyway. Even though there is a lot of retail in the area of the "Wendover" location its still a stand alone department store. Stand alones don't seem to do well. When it use to be a Hechts, it puzzles me as to why it didn't open at Four Seasons. But regardless it still would have closed. Greensboro has an abundance of retail and it seems Friendly Center, where the city's other Macy's is located, is doing better than any other retail center in the city. The era of building indoor malls is over. Four Seasons lost Belk and if it loses one more department store, we could see a slow death of that mall. When malls don'tt have anchor department stores, they die. I do think that indoor malls need to reinvent themselves. In larger cities we are seeing that. Some malls have included more entertainment attractions, something outdoor lifestyle retail centers lack. movie theaters, entertainment complexes, indoor amusement parks/water parks, ect may be the wave of the future for the dying indoor shopping malls.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 01-11-2015 at 12:10 PM..

Old 01-13-2015, 01:22 AM

825 posts, read 1,020,550 times
I'm still not sure why there was a macy's on wendover(Britford).

Old 01-13-2015, 12:23 PM

3,466 posts, read 4,355,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
I'm still not sure why there was a macy's on wendover(Britford).
That Macy's was originally a Hecht's store that was acquired after the merger of Federated and May Co. It was a nice store, with a sleek modern design. Sorry to see it close, but sales must have not been good at that location. And I would guess the Friendly Center store may have a larger selection.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:12 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,313,001 times
We stopped by this location looking for some bedding that we had seen at Friendly. The Wendover location didn't have it, the bedding department was completely different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point