U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 10:09 AM

4,596 posts, read 4,414,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Is Four Seasons Town Centre in danger of losing J.C. Penney as an anchor? The chain is in the process of closing stores.

General Growth Properties needs a plan to keep Four Seasons Town Centre viable an as a destination in ten years. Connecting Sheraton and Koury Convention Center should be an item in that plan.
Koury Corp saw the writing on the wall which is why they sold the mall. But I agree with connecting the mall with the hotel and convention center. One idea is to do something similar to the Streets at South Pointe in Durham having the combination of an indoor mall and an outdoor lifestyle center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 09:13 PM

16 posts, read 27,564 times
I agree with previous posters in saying that it's very sad to see the current state of Four Seasons and the general High Point Rd area. I well remember back in the 1980's when I was in college at UNC-G. During that time era, High Point Rd was one of the crown jewels of Greensboro while such commercial districts as Wendover Ave at I40 barely existed. Times do change. But it's interesting to note that Hanes Mall in Winston-Salem was also built around the same time in the 1970's as Four Seasons. Yet in contrast, Hanes Mall has continued to thrive....now roughly 40 years later. So I don't personally buy into the notion that malls themselves are in decline by any means. I think it all depends on a lot of circumstances....not least of which is the level of crime in any given area. Let's face it, Four Seasons Mall and it's surrounding areas have gained the reputation of being in an unsavory area. And I think it's precisely as a result of this situation that Greensboro residents have been drawn (in a big way) to Friendly Center. But IMO, Friendly Center is now overbuilt to the point of it being a complete cluster! So those people who suggest that outdoor shops somehow allow shoppers to 'get in and out' faster than the time spent getting in/out of a mall are mistaken. For example, if I know what shops I want to travel to, I can actually get in/out of Hanes Mall faster than I can at Friendly Center. But I do hope the city planners in Greensboro can do something to help reverse the very ugly trend along High Point Rd in Greensboro.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:24 PM

4,596 posts, read 4,414,501 times
I think another reason why Hanes Mall continues to thrive is because its the only major shopping option in Winston-Salem. Greensboro has Friendly Center and Wendover Ave is a big shopping area as well. The demographics favor those two areas. One key difference between indoor malls and outdoor lifestyle centers is that younger people (teens) tend to hang out at the mall as oppose to places like Friendly Center. That tends to project a negative image which is why Four Seasons changed its policy banning teens from walking in large groups. That along with shootings quickly led to death of Carolina Circle Mall.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:24 PM

99 posts, read 101,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I agree, In order for indoor malls to survive long term, new elements need to be introduced in them. They wont survive on retail alone. Maybe the owners of indoor malls should look at The Mall Of America for some inspiration. Its not just a mall it has a theme park, aquarium, theater, night clubs, miniature golf and more.
I was going to mention the same thing until I saw your comment. I say add a indoor theme park of aquarium. The Greensboro area is known for its arts and entertainment anyway - with Wet n Wild Emerald Pointe, ACC Museum, House of Blues affiliated "Cone Denim", International Civil Rights Museum, tournaments, prestigious concerts at the coliseum, NC Zoo...

Old 02-19-2015, 08:20 PM

72 posts, read 115,524 times
An door sports complex, indoor soccer, indoor, batting ranges, indoor football, bowling, tennis courts, pool etc.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:26 AM

99 posts, read 101,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcm1913 View Post
I was going to mention the same thing until I saw your comment. I say add a indoor theme park of aquarium. The Greensboro area is known for its arts and entertainment anyway - with Wet n Wild Emerald Pointe, ACC Museum, House of Blues affiliated "Cone Denim", International Civil Rights Museum, tournaments, prestigious concerts at the coliseum, NC Zoo...
*or aquarium

Old 02-21-2015, 06:35 PM

149 posts, read 201,699 times
The population of Greensboro has not grown much, but the shopping places on West Wendover have really multiplied. Friendly center almost doubled. Along New Garden, a lot of stores have opened.(target,michels, bed bath and beyond,etc..).

Four Seasons is not safe. People have been killed and robbed in the parking lot. On weekends there are large groups of teens in the mall often blocking the walkways. I've seen fights breakout in the food court. I stopped taking my family..

Other areas are safe...so Four Seasons is in trouble..

Old 02-22-2015, 03:37 AM

826 posts, read 1,023,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booney56 View Post
The population of Greensboro has not grown much, but the shopping places on West Wendover have really multiplied. Friendly center almost doubled. Along New Garden, a lot of stores have opened.(target,michels, bed bath and beyond,etc..).

Four Seasons is not safe. People have been killed and robbed in the parking lot. On weekends there are large groups of teens in the mall often blocking the walkways. I've seen fights breakout in the food court. I stopped taking my family..

Other areas are safe...so Four Seasons is in trouble..
the last time i happened to ask a city official, the population was around 290 ish, that was in mid 2014... so i have no clue what it is now. Could be 300 for all i know now.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:28 AM

826 posts, read 1,023,615 times
Lots of great suggestions in here, I hope atleast one of them can be brought into fruition.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:44 AM

2,825 posts, read 3,274,333 times
I don't mind Four Seasons at all. However, it's true that the surrounding areas aren't too nice which may be a problem. In fact, the whole High Point Road area could be nicer IMO. Everytime I visit the mall, there's barely anyone there. It's like Triangle Town Center over in Raleigh, definitely going downhil. I've heard the same regarding Oak Hollow in High Point but I've never visited. I do like Hanes Mall, though. It's almost like the Streets at Southpoint (Durham) of the Triad. Definitely appears to be more vibrant, it might be attracting people from High Point and Greensboro who want to avoid Oak Hollow and Four Seasons. Friendly Center is also going uphill, always packed when I visit. Who knows what will happen in the future, but I hope for the best regarding Four Seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point