U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-02-2015, 06:25 AM
 
7,279 posts, read 13,536,833 times
Reputation: 3610

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchswcupk View Post
I was at hanes mall this weekend and there were ALOT of empty storefronts in the mall. I hope management has plans to fill those empty stores quick
Define "ALOT".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-02-2015, 03:49 PM
 
2,825 posts, read 3,275,308 times
Reputation: 1655
I feel like metros only need one or two malls. If Hanes Mall was placed in Kernersville, so people could easily travel from Winston, Greensboro, and High Point, it wouldn't struggle (not saying it's struggling ATM). These Friendly Center-type places are also going uphill, people love them. It's the same case in Raleigh with North Hills. I don't think people visit indoor malls like they do outdoor Friendly Center-ish malls these days. Tanger Outlets in Mebane is also pretty popular, Raleigh folks drive all the way. Around the Triangle, Crabtree is THE mall of Raleigh and it's always packed. Streets at Southpoint feeds off Durham and Chapel Hill, and it's always packed. I know plenty of folks also drive from Cary and Raleigh for Southpoint, too. These other malls like Northgate in Durham and Triangle Town Center in Raleigh are almost too much. Regarding Cary Towne Center, I never visit so I'm not sure how it's doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2015, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
4,599 posts, read 4,416,877 times
Reputation: 1505
I agree drrckmtthws,

Indoor malls need to reinvent themselves. Retail alone isn't going to cut it anymore. They are going to have to become destinations. The 1,000 room Sheraton Hotel is next door to Four Seasons. The owners of Four Seasons should take the lead and do something different from any other mall in North Carolina. Don't wait until its too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2015, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,756 posts, read 4,240,099 times
Reputation: 3829
I think the indoor Mall as we know it is quickly becoming a thing of the past. I've been living here for about 2 and half years now, and I have not even thought about visiting mall. Why go all the over to that neck of the woods when the Friendly Shopping Center is much closer to me? Not to mention that I don't feel very safe over at the mall area. But then again, before I met my wife, I had no idea that the mall was that dangerous. I used to go all the time, even by myself when I lived out of town. I guess I was happily ignorant to what type of area the place was in. I made it a point to visit the mall and then have dinner at Hooters, lol!

Seriously though, shopping centers are becoming more of the thing, simply because as an owner of a shopping center, you wouldn't have to worry about heating and cooling parts of the building that aren't being used. That's a big cost savings right there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2015, 03:02 AM
 
Location: North Greensboro
827 posts, read 1,024,724 times
Reputation: 307
I'm all for the idea of them turning 4 seasons into a mini mall of america, that's a great idea, as the mall is pretty high up(4 stories) it could house alot of entertainment.

Also, i went to 4 seasons to see the "devastation", it's packed with storefronts just like hanes. So i'm starting to think the mall is completely fine on it's own, just Belks wanted to move to establish it's self even more at friendly, which has a predominately more "White collar" clientele.

But yea, 4 seasons looks to be doing very well. it even feels safer with the boost in security/police presence, but not so overbearing that you wouldn't want to shop there.

Even going back at night it seems completely different to 1 year ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2015, 10:11 AM
 
16 posts, read 27,565 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I think the indoor Mall as we know it is quickly becoming a thing of the past. I've been living here for about 2 and half years now, and I have not even thought about visiting mall. Why go all the over to that neck of the woods when the Friendly Shopping Center is much closer to me? Not to mention that I don't feel very safe over at the mall area. But then again, before I met my wife, I had no idea that the mall was that dangerous. I used to go all the time, even by myself when I lived out of town. I guess I was happily ignorant to what type of area the place was in. I made it a point to visit the mall and then have dinner at Hooters, lol!

Seriously though, shopping centers are becoming more of the thing, simply because as an owner of a shopping center, you wouldn't have to worry about heating and cooling parts of the building that aren't being used. That's a big cost savings right there!
It all depends on the specific area. Look at Raleigh, Crabtree Valley Mall is huge and has been thriving for many years. And then look at the Charlotte area, there's Northlake Mall, and Southpark Mall (just to name two examples!) that are doing just fine. And here in the Triad area, Hanes Mall appears to be doing very well too. So these outdoor centers like Friendly are not necessarily the trend at every location in any given city.

And IMO, there's nothing so convenient about Friendly Center. I like the stores there, but it's not exactly a scenario of getting in/out quickly! That place has turned into a complete cluster with the continued growth. Of course, one could say the same about places like Crabtree Valley Mall since most of the parking is on elevated parking decks that can require many turns to get your vehicle parked.

But it sure would be nice if the city leaders in Greensboro could do something to stop the ugly trend around Four Seasons. It shouldn't be all about Wendover and Friendly when there's a major colosseum on the corner of High Point Rd and Lee St. And it doesn't exactly help promote visitors to the area when you've got this type of facility sitting on the edge of an area that is increasing perceived to be in the ghetto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2015, 09:07 PM
 
2,825 posts, read 3,275,308 times
Reputation: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott784 View Post
It all depends on the specific area. Look at Raleigh, Crabtree Valley Mall is huge and has been thriving for many years. And then look at the Charlotte area, there's Northlake Mall, and Southpark Mall (just to name two examples!) that are doing just fine. And here in the Triad area, Hanes Mall appears to be doing very well too. So these outdoor centers like Friendly are not necessarily the trend at every location in any given city.

And IMO, there's nothing so convenient about Friendly Center. I like the stores there, but it's not exactly a scenario of getting in/out quickly! That place has turned into a complete cluster with the continued growth. Of course, one could say the same about places like Crabtree Valley Mall since most of the parking is on elevated parking decks that can require many turns to get your vehicle parked.

But it sure would be nice if the city leaders in Greensboro could do something to stop the ugly trend around Four Seasons. It shouldn't be all about Wendover and Friendly when there's a major colosseum on the corner of High Point Rd and Lee St. And it doesn't exactly help promote visitors to the area when you've got this type of facility sitting on the edge of an area that is increasing perceived to be in the ghetto.
Exactly. Plenty of folks come to town during ACC Tournaments at the Coliseum, and stay in those hotels around Four Seasons. For tons of folks, this is the only area of Greensboro they'll ever see due to events at the Coliseum. The whole area needs to be spruced up, however that may be or whatever it'll take. I've heard some reports of shootings and robberies at the Red Roof Inn right off I-40 along High Point Road, and that's obviously not okay. The whole road from Four Seasons up to the Coliseum feels dated and frankly a little trashy. Greensboro needs to look at the Research Triangle, specifically areas like Brier Creek or Crabtree. That is the right direction to take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2015, 08:20 AM
 
Location: NC High Country
3,867 posts, read 6,669,609 times
Reputation: 3829
Here's an article I saw online - A New Life for Dead Malls - that I thought was pertinent to this discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2015, 07:47 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,320,032 times
Reputation: 8901
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Here's an article I saw online - A New Life for Dead Malls - that I thought was pertinent to this discussion.
High Point University purchased Oak Hollow Mall. Perhaps HPU has intent similar to what is mentioned in the article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2015, 08:36 PM
 
94 posts, read 126,089 times
Reputation: 88
I think indoor Malls are great places especially in winter months. I visited Montreal recently and I was impressed by how
housing, apartments,etc are tied into the Malls. In the U.S., Malls seem to be just shopping centers competing with
Other shopping centers for basically the same stores. Four Seasons is a beautiful Mall. I always stop there on my way
To the beach from Roanoke. Yes, I have noticed the area around the Mall has changed. With the high rise Hotel adjoining Four
Seasons, it would be nice if a developer could build high rise condos, Apts on top of the Mall. It would then always have a healthy supply of business. The store mix may change in the future with fewer clothing stores, etc but food stores and better
Restaurants, bakeries could take their place. Even doctors offices, a town center could be added. Four Seasons must continue, it is an integral part of Greensboro. Friendly Center is nice but yes it is harder to get into/out of in my view. In cities where Malls
are dying it is because there were too many Malls built in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top