U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 06:57 PM

825 posts, read 1,020,550 times

Advertisements

Again, i went to four seasons once more today, and it was as busy as ever... i slightly regret making this thread, but it does offer alot of insight on alot great ideas for future indoor malls. as for the Well being of Four Seasons, it seems fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 07:16 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,313,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
Again, i went to four seasons once more today, and it was as busy as ever... i slightly regret making this thread, but it does offer alot of insight on alot great ideas for future indoor malls. as for the Well being of Four Seasons, it seems fine.
Not picking on you but we're all guilty of misperceptions. When something is repeated enough you will begin to believe it whether or not it is true. As I said earlier I photographed the MLK Day at Four Seasons last year and saw few vacancies. While did is not an indicator of financial health I don't think Four Seasons is suffering the demise many think or hope it is.
An earlier poster mentioned vacancies at Hanes which I noticed my last visit there a couple of year ago. It appears the original mall had far more vacancies than the addition. I'm not a mall going person but I don't want to see the demise of either Hanes or Four Seasons.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:17 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,271,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
All those people from the ACC tournament, probably! I drove by on I-40 and saw all the coaches parked outside the Sheraton, hope to see another Virginia/Duke showdown!

Old 03-19-2015, 07:25 AM

2 posts, read 2,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Not picking on you but we're all guilty of misperceptions. When something is repeated enough you will begin to believe it whether or not it is true. As I said earlier I photographed the MLK Day at Four Seasons last year and saw few vacancies. While did is not an indicator of financial health I don't think Four Seasons is suffering the demise many think or hope it is.
An earlier poster mentioned vacancies at Hanes which I noticed my last visit there a couple of year ago. It appears the original mall had far more vacancies than the addition. I'm not a mall going person but I don't want to see the demise of either Hanes or Four Seasons.
When I was a teen in the 1980s, Four Seasons was one of NC's upscale malls, along with Crabtree and Southpark. While I do acknowledge that Friendly Center is now the preference for upscale retailers in the Greensboro area I do not think it necessarily indicates that Four Seasons will die. Belk is leaving due to their acknowledgement that Four Seasons no longer captures the customer they target. Four Seasons has become a mall for younger, lower to middle class shoppers. Do I think that Four Seasons should begin to reinvent, yes, but I still think it is a viable retail center. Consider Macy's closing on Wendover. Belk just opened a few miles down the road on Wendover so tenants come and go. Friendly Center, Wendover, New Garden and Alamance Crossing have all hurt Four Seasons. It's no longer a destination for shopping from a regional customer. It is now a community mall. They should get in talks with Top Golf like Cary.

I do not foresee another department store taking the Belk space and if one did I think it would put Dillard's in jeopardy. I think you will see Sears close at Friendly when the company goes under in the next few years and Dillard's move to Friendly. I also would not rule out another Alamance Crossing style development with a Dillard's/Macy's anchor in west Guilford/east Forsyth in the next several years. Then bye-bye Four Seasons as we know it.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:15 AM

High point road is undergoing a MAJOR 10.6 million dollar change, both road and ordinance/zoning wise.

Main part of this plan is to attract more proper businesses, while weening out the "cheap" businesses. this includes things from building ordinances and even sign ordinances, which will get rid of the Neon signs and new strict zoning laws which will completely wipe out gentleman clubs etc..

Basically wipe out the current High point road to make way for the new Gate City Area.

http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/index.aspx?page=2105

Last edited by GSOCitizen; 03-22-2015 at 05:26 AM..

Old 03-22-2015, 02:29 PM

2,492 posts, read 2,371,097 times
Interesting thread,lots of references to Raleigh malls where I live. Went to UNCG in the 90's and worked at the mall,several restaurants there and lived in some apartments behind it. Stonesthrow maybe? Anyhow Hight point road and Lee street were sketchy back then. Lots of massage parlors and strip clubs. I used to joke that Greensboro was the strip club capital of NC. Raleigh had a few but they weren't placed so predominately in town. Shootings happened at the Waffle house. I worked 3rd shift at the Perkins and an armed security guard was necessary. Oh the fun of college days. I assume Carolina Circle has been demolished,it was a walking mall for seniors when I left. Now that was an out of the way mall. Anytime I went there it was a ghost town.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:10 AM

4,593 posts, read 4,407,771 times
It's quite embarrassing having two strip clubs within a block of the coliseum especially when the city is hosting world class events such as the figure skating championships. Hopefully they'll shut down.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
It's quite embarrassing having two strip clubs within a block of the coliseum especially when the city is hosting world class events such as the figure skating championships. Hopefully they'll shut down.
With the new ordinance they will have no choice. The city is literally taking back high point road, By force.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:35 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,313,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Did you ever stop to think that's why the clubs are there in the first place?

Old 03-29-2015, 04:11 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,271,388 times
I attend Guilford College in Greensboro, and do you know what you see when you exit off I-40 on Guilford College Road heading from Raleigh? That's right! A strip club. Seriously, I see way more in Greensboro than Raleigh (they're pretty rare around Raleigh). Unfortunately, there's not much to do about them, but we can only pray that they disappear someday. Like I pointed out, most people only see a few areas of Greensboro like High Point Road due to events at the Coliseum. Strip clubs are ridiculously embarrassing for Greensboro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point