Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 04:15 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times

Advertisements

I don't really have a huge problem with Greensboro in general, even though I prefer Winston-Salem and the Raleigh/Durham area. However, I hope the High Point Road area will get cleaned up in anyway possible. Again, Greensboro needs to go down the same direction as Raleigh/Durham, although I know it's tough since those areas have seen more growth. RTP helps, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 10:37 AM

149 posts, read 250,578 times
Four Seasons needs to replace Belk's with another anchor. The mall is too big to survive with only Dillards and JC Penney as anchors. The Belk end of the mall....very quiet..

Old 03-30-2015, 06:57 PM

111 posts, read 143,444 times
Maybe they could replace it with Dave and Busters, but that may be a concern

Old 03-30-2015, 08:52 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,958,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I don't really have a huge problem with Greensboro in general, even though I prefer Winston-Salem and the Raleigh/Durham area. However, I hope the High Point Road area will get cleaned up in anyway possible. Again, Greensboro needs to go down the same direction as Raleigh/Durham, although I know it's tough since those areas have seen more growth. RTP helps, too.
http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/index.aspx?page=2105

"The High Point Road/W. Lee Street streetscape project, Phase I, focuses on improving visual appeal, enhancing pedestrian, bicycle and transit mobility and safety, while preserving the existing capacity for motorists. Reinvestment corridors are defined by the plan as “older commercial corridors that would benefit from significant public and private investment to enhance their economic viability and strengthen adjacent neighborhoods." Phase 1, extends from Pinecroft Road to Coliseum Boulevard.

Design plans have been completed. Construction contract has been awarded.

Property appraisals began in October 2012. The project start date is spring 2015 and the anticipated completion date is fall 2016."

So the entire time i thought they weren't going to do anything about high point road area,But actually, they were planning and doing things behind the scenes for 3 years. I guess that's only natural, as the high point road area is a major artery to the city, i feel embarrassed when we have big events because Alot of people have to travel on that embarrassment of a road.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:04 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Now the lipstick is being painted on High Point Blvd as Gate City the area around the mall needs to change.
Best way to start interest in interest by developers is light rail.

Reasons malls like Hanes and South Point and Friendly are thriving they adapt to what is needed for today vs the old business model as a destination mall.

Malls thrive when citizens can live, work, & shop in the same location.

Four Seasons use to be a destination mall for not only locals but a place for out of town residents have a place to shop as neighboring counties had no place to go.

I cant think of any malls with multiple of levels like Four Seasons.
I remember getting a duplicate NCDL made at that mall in the lower level when I was 16 or 17.

The city should build a light rail to the Toys r Us location or ambitious extend to Sedgefield with Park N Ride at all three locations.
In the same time make Gate City Blvd walkable.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:20 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
I remember taking to a DGI member a while ago. The long term goal is to have a fixed rail trolley downtown with a line connecting UNCG and A&T to downtown. An expanded system would include a trolley rail line connecting downtown with the coliseum and Koury Convention Center along Gate City Blvd. But organizations like Action Greensboro want to try rubber tire trolleys first. As ridership increases they will look into fixed rail. The good thing about fixed rail lines is that they spur development along the route. Ultimately there needs to be a light rail system connecting downtown with the airport and eventually with Winston -Salem and High Point.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:22 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
I love rail, but at $20 million+ per mile in construction costs alone (and 5-6 miles from the downtown transit center to Four Seasons), that'd be a pretty expensive attempt to hold on to a shopping center that isn't exactly pulling in shoppers as is.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:28 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I love rail, but at $20 million+ per mile in construction costs alone (and 5-6 miles from the downtown transit center to Four Seasons), that'd be a pretty expensive attempt to hold on to a shopping center that isn't exactly pulling in shoppers as is.
True, and running it from downtown wouldn't really help anyway in my opinion. Malls in general are just not doing well at the moment. I'm not sure there is any remedy other than making it so unique that people just have to go there for some reason.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:07 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
It's not so much the mall. It's the convention center. Hotel guests at the Koury can use rail transit to get downtown. And downtown hotel guests in Greensboro for a convention or event at the coliseum could use it as well. Greensboro' s convention center is not downtown so it would be a way to connect convention guests with what downtown has to offer while they are in Greensboro and it helps ease parking problems downtown. This is not something that is currently in the works. It's being considered long term when such a system is feasible.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:09 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
It's not so much the mall. It's the convention center. Hotel guests at the Koury can use rail transit to get downtown. And downtown hotel guests in Greensboro for a convention or event at the coliseum could use it as well. Greensboro' s convention center is not downtown so it would be a way to connect convention guests with what downtown has to offer while they are in Greensboro and it helps ease parking problems downtown. This is not something that is currently in the works. It's being considered long term when such a system is feasible.
I get it, but if you're going to drop a couple hundred million bucks (not that I think Greensboro should), wouldn't it be just as cost-effective to bulldoze Koury and build a sparkling new convention center downtown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point