U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 02:25 PM

4,627 posts, read 4,448,057 times

Advertisements

I wish it were downtown. When the convention center opened in 1990, downtown was a ghost town with limited restaurants and entertainment options. Back then it made sense to build it at I-40 and High Point Rd. I believe if Greensboro didn't currently have a convention center, one would be built downtown today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 02:36 PM

7,280 posts, read 13,559,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I wish it were downtown. When the convention center opened in 1990, downtown was a ghost town with limited restaurants and entertainment options. Back then it made sense to build it at I-40 and High Point Rd. I believe if Greensboro didn't currently have a convention center, one would be built downtown today
Right. That whole complex is based on a very 80's/90's concept of how people live and work. So I don't know why it would make sense to spend LOTS of money to connect it to downtown via a very expensive form of public transit. (Less expensive than metro rail or something, sure, but still millions and millions of dollars.)

Old 06-04-2015, 03:03 PM

238 posts, read 256,860 times
In the late 70s Malls were built for people to flee the downtowns. Now with the downtown growth, the demise of Four Seasons
should help retail downtown. Four Seasons will change as retail will be more on line oriented soon. If JC Penney, Sears,
Belk close or sell out to foreign discount stores will Four Seasons gain or lose? We should see some major changes in
retail soon and not just in Greensboro. Light rail and people movers will come when and IF the economy ever improves!

Old 06-04-2015, 07:41 PM

As much as I'd love for Greensboro to have a downtown convention center, the odds are slim to none that it will happen. Koury Corp spent $30 million in renovations over the past few years at the Sheraton/Koury Center. They will keep upgrading that facility the way the city has been upgrading the coliseum. Greensboro is going to have to live with the fact that the Koury Center is two and a half miles away from downtown

Old 06-04-2015, 08:51 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,352,505 times
Realizing the 2.5 miles will get shorter if there are enough attractions in between. It would appear the city is shooting for.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Now the lipstick is being painted on High Point Blvd as Gate City the area around the mall needs to change.
Best way to start interest in interest by developers is light rail.

Reasons malls like Hanes and South Point and Friendly are thriving they adapt to what is needed for today vs the old business model as a destination mall.

Malls thrive when citizens can live, work, & shop in the same location.

Four Seasons use to be a destination mall for not only locals but a place for out of town residents have a place to shop as neighboring counties had no place to go.

I cant think of any malls with multiple of levels like Four Seasons.
I remember getting a duplicate NCDL made at that mall in the lower level when I was 16 or 17.

The city should build a light rail to the Toys r Us location or ambitious extend to Sedgefield with Park N Ride at all three locations.
In the same time make Gate City Blvd walkable.
I disagree because when I visit Friendly I see worse behavior than what one would observe at a mall. By "worse behavior" I mean people circling the lot for the closest space to their destination and then driving to the next destination rather than walk.
I'm not saying everyone does this but a good chunk of them do.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:07 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,962,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Realizing the 2.5 miles will get shorter if there are enough attractions in between. It would appear the city is shooting for.
Is it really just 2.5 miles between downtown and Four Seasons? I thought it was further...I just checked mileage from Lincoln Financial (Jefferson Standard) and Four Seasons and got 4.6 miles. Anyway, 2.5 just sounded a little light to me.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Is it really just 2.5 miles between downtown and Four Seasons? I thought it was further...I just checked mileage from Lincoln Financial (Jefferson Standard) and Four Seasons and got 4.6 miles. Anyway, 2.5 just sounded a little light to me.
I took gsoboi's word at it.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:30 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,962,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I took gsoboi's word at it.
Yeah I did too, then I thought about it and wanted to check it out. It never seemed quite like such a short drive to me.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:43 AM

It's 2.5 miles. I checked my odometer one day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point