U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2015, 10:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,146 times

Advertisements

Here's the deal (because I don't have a whole lot of time to decide): I work as a Loss Prevention associate in the retail field around the Erie PA area (the security guys you think are following you around while you shop at Wal-Mart, yeah, that's basically what I do). But I have a Bachelors degree in Criminal Justice from a local university and $45,000 of student debt. I've been working at my current job for approximately 1.5 years and have a total of of 2.5 years of experience in this position (almost a year at a different retailer as a Loss Prevention Officer 5 years ago - but experience is experience, right?). The company I work for seems to be rapidly growing and opening/remodeling new stores. The local store I work at now was recently moved to a new location and remolded (so, kinda halfway between a whole new store and just a remodel) but square footage wise it basically doubled in size.

Well, this company has just officially announced that it is opening several brand new stores in NC and one of them being in Greensboro, NC. About a month ago, while my District Loss Prevention Manager (DLPM) and Regional Loss Prevention Manager (RLPM) were at my store, my RLPM told me about how our company was opening up these new stores in NC. This was basically followed by the questions of "what do you think about moving and what would it take to get you there?" I was SHOCKED. I felt like I actually mattered, and that the changes I've made with the company over that past six months has made an impact and has actually been noticed! Well, I told them that the current 10.25/hr and absolutely no overtime would not work. Living where I live now I currently do not make enough to support myself on my own and basically all my friends moved away after highschool and never came back or I realized that the friends I was around didn't really care about me or were good for me. So I still live with my mom and stepdad but I'm on my own basically. I pay for everything except the roof over my head and most of the time I actually eat at home it's leftovers of some sort. I also have no kids and no significant other to worry about.

Yesterday I got an e-mail from my RLPM basically saying that I had been accepted for the relocation... and they need to know by Friday, January 23rd whether I want to take it.

I've considered my family if I take this position, and although they are not really that supportive, they will be fine and I think I will be fine. However, I've never lived by myself, alone. Or in another city, let alone a whole different state almost 600 miles away. I've lived with ex boyfriends and a roommate off campus in college for a year but that's about it.

I guess I'm just kinda of looking for some insight from people within the Greensboro area.

- What do I need to know about it?
- What/where is safe and not safe?
- What is the area like?
- Are there a lot of old people? (I noticed in my apartment search there are a lot of apartment complexes)
- Or are there a lot of young adults my age? (I noticed UNCG is in the area)
- And any other things that I'm sure I am not realizing with such a big change. But its a change I think I can take on.

So I need to respond ASAP with:

- how serious I am (which I am since it is so hard in the LP field to move up and at the end of the day that is what I know how to do)
- what it would take to move me there (obviously a pay raise, I was thinking at least $15/hr compared to $10.25 here)
- how much would it cost (I have a 2000 Jeep wrangler that I am upside down on as far as payments go so I would probably have to tow it to NC? It's a 4cyl auto that is terrible to drive long distances on the highway and no cruise)
- relocation fees
- average rent and utility prices in this area

I guess I'm just a little overwhelmed/excited/nervous with this opportunity. My gut tells me to go for it, bc at the end of the day what do I have to lose, but my brain is thinking too logically.

But if anyone has any advice/thoughts/concerns or ANYTHING to share it would be greatly appreciated and helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 04:46 AM

1,486 posts, read 1,696,911 times
I think an opportunity for you to live on your own is great. You're a grown up now.

Your family could just be adjusting to the fact that they thought you'd always be around and now you might not.

There are all types of people in Greensboro, young and old. Many of my friends grew up, raised families and retired here. I don't think you will have any trouble finding friends. I'm sure it seems daunting to move somewhere unfamiliar, but it's reversible. If you don't like it you can go home or somewhere else.

Is your company paying moving expenses? It's not cheap. You'll need a good car here as well.

There are lots of apartments. The cheaper, the greater the chances of you disliking your neighbors. Traffic is not messy (comparatively speaking) and commutes aren't usually rough. Do you know where you would work?

I hope it works out. Finding your own way in the world is exciting!

Old 01-18-2015, 07:06 AM

28,502 posts, read 62,182,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuckinthegrey View Post
I have a Bachelors degree in Criminal Justice from a local university
and $45,000 of student debt.

I work as a Loss Prevention associate in the retail field
and have a total of of 2.5 years of experience in this position
$10.25/hr and absolutely no overtime
Long story short... you need to find a better job.
Ideally something that calls for a college degree or at least pays like it does.

Taking on the stress of moving, relocating and starting over in order to make that
happen is reasonable. Doing all that for the same crappy low pay job isn't.

Start looking for opportunities and situations that are worth relocating for.

Last edited by MrRational; 01-18-2015 at 07:19 AM..

Old 01-19-2015, 05:14 PM

22 posts, read 22,941 times
$15/hr would put you at the median of your profession. Since they are paying you at the low end of the scale are you sure this is the company to stay with? Have them make you an offer and then counter higher. Don't sell yourself short. Greensboro isn't exactly the cheapest place to live.

Retail Loss Prevention Representative Salary | Salary.com

Old 01-20-2015, 08:11 AM

7,278 posts, read 13,530,952 times
So we're all clear, 10.25/hr and no overtime was in your current position? And the new position will pay more, I'm assuming?

Old 01-20-2015, 03:00 PM

10,401 posts, read 19,428,634 times
None of us can tell you whether you "should" move--as you lay out, only you can answer that. Others have chimed in that the job doesn't seem to pay enough to uproot your whole life over, but some people area adventurous and relish such opportunities. we don't know you, so we can't answer that for you.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:11 PM

58 posts, read 77,899 times
A few tips from a fellow twenty-something, I relocated to Greensboro a few years back:

-As far as locations, I always recommend Lincoln Green Apartments, it's affordable and in a great location.
-I wouldn't make the move unless they give you a sizable raise (sounds like that is what you are thinking anyway), maybe do a little research to see what your position would earn in the North Carolina area and aim slightly higher, never hurts to ask. You also may be able to negotiate moving expenses as well, if they aren't already covering it.
-As far as demographics, based on my experience Greensboro has a smaller young professional population than larger cities like Raleigh and Charlotte, even as a percentage of population. But this is still a large metro area with just under 300k residents in Greensboro alone so there is still a good size population of people your age, you will just have to put some effort into meeting people and finding your niche. There are also a lot of college students.
-You should keep in mind that although this could be an exciting opportunity it is hard to move to a new location when you don't already have contacts there. If you move you will want to get involved in organizations like SynerG, sports teams, volunteering, etc. to meet people. Or since you've got some debt to pay down, getting a few hours on nights and weekends as a server or bartender is also a good way to meet people and supplement your income.
-On another note, you mentioned you have a degree in criminal justice and I happened to see on the side of a bus yesterday a huge advertisement that the city is hiring police officers which would be a potential option to pursue after you moved.

Good luck with your decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point