U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 12:54 AM

823 posts, read 1,018,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
A lot is said on this forum about the subjectivity of "lists", their underlying methodologies, and the organizations who produce them, but I was very surprised to see Greensboro on a list such as this one. It's been a long, long time...

10 Top Cities for Job Seekers - Forbes

Wow Greensboro went from 6.1% Unemployment in 2013-2014 to 4.2% in 2015... dang

And made a top 10 list for best cities for job seekers, on forbes none the less, it's been a while...it sure has, congratulations to the gateway city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 04:59 AM

4,582 posts, read 4,402,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontstressem22 View Post
So Despite Richmond having a more urban city feel, Which is bigger between Greensboro & Richmond (Population Wise, & Geographical wise). Me, Personally, I say Greensboro. But what do yall think???
Greensboro is larger than Richmond in size and population. Its sort of like comparing Virginia Beach with Raleigh. Virginia Beach is larger than Raleigh having a population over 500,000 but Raleigh is more urban.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:36 PM

351 posts, read 471,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Greensboro is larger than Richmond in size and population. Its sort of like comparing Virginia Beach with Raleigh. Virginia Beach is larger than Raleigh having a population over 500,000 but Raleigh is more urban.
That is correct, & The Richmond MSA is larger than Greensboro MSA right??

Old 01-23-2015, 11:56 PM

29,943 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Quote:
Yes, by about half a million.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:56 AM

4,582 posts, read 4,402,977 times
Quote:
But if you count the CSA Greensboro is larger. MSA is really irrelivant in Greensboro's case because you have to look at the whole Triad which includes Burlington.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:25 PM

29,943 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
But if you count the CSA Greensboro is larger. MSA is really irrelivant in Greensboro's case because you have to look at the whole Triad which includes Burlington.
If you count CSA, Greensboro along with Winston-Salem are larger; it's not Greensboro alone. I don't think MSA is irrelevant in Greensboro's case because the Triad is very decentralized, so Greensboro's MSA demonstrates the pull and influence that the city has within the larger region.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:10 AM

12 posts, read 14,358 times
Default Moving to the Carolinas

Thanks for the "cat's out of the bag" regarding livability in Greensboro. After losing both my parents and living in Florida for 5 years, I am looking for a place to permanently relocate to in the Carolinas, possibly Tennessee. My third choice is Knoxville (no state income tax), second is Greensboro (just beginning to explore, stats are great), and #1 is Greenville SC, also great stats. My criteria is probably standard with a couple definite dislikes. My daughter is in Ohio but I truly do not want to return to the dreary cold winters, though I don't want to be more than a day's drive. I need full time (bookkeeping/accounting) so a metro area is necessary but I do not care for big cities and commuting. A mid-size, clean, safe, town with job opportunities is what I'm looking for. My lifestyle is easy and quiet... I enjoy music, markets, wine and dining, church/community involvement, and walks with my dog. Sun days are a big deal to me, thinking Knoxville will be a little too dreary and the Carolinas offer a more balanced climate for my taste.
Living in Florida was great, less than two hours to either coast and I think the distance from the Carolinas would be perfect... not too far or too close.
Taking a road trip in a couple weeks to take a look around. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:23 PM

3 posts, read 2,433 times
Having lived here for 30 years, with close business associations in Charlotte and Raleigh, and being involved in the Greensboro tourism industry, Greensboro is a city unlike its competitors. When I speak of Greensboro it includes High Point and Jamestown. We can also include Winston Salem, however, I think of it as its own entity. It depends on what figures one is wanting to come up with whether Winston is counted in.

Yes, Greensboro has done major development in the past 30 years. However, the city has not been able to benefit from some of these developments after the recession hit, when major companies laid off or moved their offices. Is the Fed Ex in full running capacity as anticipated, for example?

Greensboro has big dreams. However, the city has many changes before they will be realized. The service at the airport leaves a lot to be desired. At one time, it was difficult to find a parking space. Now, one can get lower fares by going to Raleigh or Charlotte. Is this going to draw new business into the area?

The major drawback I have found in Greensboro is the way they advertise/announce what is going on in the area. Where do you look? There are numerous publications, different announcements in each, and still an event can be missed because it wasn't in the places you read. Greensboro, come on, find out what the big cities do and get it together! How nice would it be to have it together in one place?

Downtown Greensboro is a typical old city that has turned into a business center. The places to shop are few and it is not a place to "go shopping". The nightlife may be rocking, however, there is a BIG problem. What about the homeless and bums that are on the sidewalks? Why can't LE control this problem? It is a scary scenario!

One of the nicest part of Greensboro is the traffic. It is non-existent compared to Charlotte and Raleigh. We do have traffic at peak times, one may sit at a stop light for two or three lights, but that is nothing compared to the other big cities. And, from the time school lets out in June until about the second week of August, Greensboro becomes an empty resident city. The majority of residents go to the coast or the mountains. This makes it possible to park close to the door of a store and the lines in the store are short.

Greensboro is a small city that wants to be big. The city fathers must take a pro-active move and go double speed ahead. For every step they take, their two competitor cities are already there and just gaining more momentum ahead. Greensboro, why not look at how to make your city the best it can be and be known for top visitors attractions, employment opportunities, cleanliness, safety, education, and good ole' Southern hospitality?

Old 08-08-2015, 09:19 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,309,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1&1&2&2 View Post
Having lived here for 30 years, with close business associations in Charlotte and Raleigh, and being involved in the Greensboro tourism industry, Greensboro is a city unlike its competitors. When I speak of Greensboro it includes High Point and Jamestown. We can also include Winston Salem, however, I think of it as its own entity. It depends on what figures one is wanting to come up with whether Winston is counted in.

Yes, Greensboro has done major development in the past 30 years. However, the city has not been able to benefit from some of these developments after the recession hit, when major companies laid off or moved their offices. Is the Fed Ex in full running capacity as anticipated, for example?

Greensboro has big dreams. However, the city has many changes before they will be realized. The service at the airport leaves a lot to be desired. At one time, it was difficult to find a parking space. Now, one can get lower fares by going to Raleigh or Charlotte. Is this going to draw new business into the area?

The major drawback I have found in Greensboro is the way they advertise/announce what is going on in the area. Where do you look? There are numerous publications, different announcements in each, and still an event can be missed because it wasn't in the places you read. Greensboro, come on, find out what the big cities do and get it together! How nice would it be to have it together in one place?

Downtown Greensboro is a typical old city that has turned into a business center. The places to shop are few and it is not a place to "go shopping". The nightlife may be rocking, however, there is a BIG problem. What about the homeless and bums that are on the sidewalks? Why can't LE control this problem? It is a scary scenario!

One of the nicest part of Greensboro is the traffic. It is non-existent compared to Charlotte and Raleigh. We do have traffic at peak times, one may sit at a stop light for two or three lights, but that is nothing compared to the other big cities. And, from the time school lets out in June until about the second week of August, Greensboro becomes an empty resident city. The majority of residents go to the coast or the mountains. This makes it possible to park close to the door of a store and the lines in the store are short.

Greensboro is a small city that wants to be big. The city fathers must take a pro-active move and go double speed ahead. For every step they take, their two competitor cities are already there and just gaining more momentum ahead. Greensboro, why not look at how to make your city the best it can be and be known for top visitors attractions, employment opportunities, cleanliness, safety, education, and good ole' Southern hospitality?
I couldn't agree more with the bolded statement! Seems there are several entities that promote only what they are involved in and as you stated one must be willing to keep up with many different sources to find events in the city.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:12 PM

10 posts, read 33,130 times
Default Richmond resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudduck View Post
Greensboro is bigger than Richmond, yet Richmond has 6 malls and 2 high end outdoor malls.
Richmond is far smaller than Greensboro, and it is partly because of the post made by someone who wrote due to Greensboro's lax in annexation rules. It's partly because of the fact North Carolina is considered a state and Virginia is considered a commonwealth (not sure of the difference), but can research it.
You see I've lived in Richmond for over twenty years, and have seen a great deal of change here mostly for the good. However, if Richmond were in North Carolina the area I live would be completely gentrified now. Don't misunderstand it's made great strides in fifteen years, but mainly due to private investors.
The neighbourhood was voted in 2014 in the L.A. Times and New York Times as one of the top ten most desirable urban neighbourhoods to live in across the country. We were called the Park Slope of the South.
Richmond is far to poor to put a lot of money in any particular neighbourhood, and even if their tax base were larger it really wouldn't matter. Richmond has strictly a ward system, and Greensboro has I think two at-large city council members. When you have at large members usually a lot more can get done because the city is run more efficiently.
Richmond strictly using the ward system what little money there is to go around each district wants a piece of the pie. Richmond needs to concentrate on a certain neighbourhood renovate it completely and move on. Not Richmond, we wouldn't want to offend someone from other districts. There's a very wealthy neighbourhood here called Windsor Farms, and the residents of Windsor Farms pay the highest taxes of anyone in the city. However, they get the least use of any of the cities benefits. I have friends who live in Windsor Farms, and the common areas (owned by the city) residents pay an neighbourhood association fee to pay someone to landscape their common areas because the city is so undependable.
I promise this is a very truthful comment...Richmond has been 'TALKING' about a new ball stadium for over ten years. If Richmond were in North Carolina the ball stadium would have been relocated several years ago. Things have gotten so bad with 'TALKS' about a new location that the mayor made an announcement last week he's going to let one of the surrounding counties take over the ball stadium.
The land where the old stadium is has been promised/bought by a developer for a long time. The old stadium being bought/promised to a developer wasn't pubic knowledge, but the poor mayor said everything humanly possible without point blank telling the citizens. "The Damn land is sold, and we have to move."
The person who said Richmond is more densely populated is correct, but it still has far less residents than Greensboro + Richmond is Virginia's capital. One thing that person left out is a lot of the people who appear to be residents Monday through Friday 8 - 5 go home to the suburbs at 5pm.
My family is Virginia natives, and one person made a comment about old money in Gso. try living in Richmond for a while. There's a joke in Richmond started by new comers I'm sure..you know how many Richmonders it takes to change a light bulb...ten, one to actually change it and nine to talk about why it shouldn't have been changed in the first place. I am more partial to Gso because I attended school there, and saw how the city was changing. Gso says we're going to do this and it gets done.
I recommend anyone who seriously compare one of North Carolina's cities to Richmond should use Raleigh as a comparison.
Realizing Greensboro's down-town area isn't as highly populated as Richmond mainly because of a lot of the industry in Gso starting in North West Gso. However, I challenge anyone to drive down North Elm Street starting as far as Moses Cone hospital to West Lee Street, and you'll see a 'HUGE' difference in what you'll see driving down Broad Street in Richmond. A lot of Broad St. looks like a ghetto, and Elm Street doesn't look ghetto. Broad Street is the first street people come to when they take the down-town exit off of interstate 95. I ask what kind of impression does that send someone who's not a Richmonder.
Richmond is a smaller city because in the 1970's Virginia passed a law stating there would be no more annexation in any city unless both jurisdictions agree, and 2/3 of the general assembly voted in favour of it.
One difference to the person who made the comment about Greensboro's annexation rules easier is because Virginia is Guilford County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point