Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 06:29 PM

42 posts, read 104,178 times

Advertisements

I am a retired 72 year old woman living in central New York and thinking of moving to Winston Salem, NC and looking for advice/information that anyone would care to pass along to me.
I want to rent a one-bedroom apartment (pet friendly), rent about $550-$600 with some or all utilities paid. Safe neighborhood. Prefer to not live in college apartments, would be nice to find apartments for seniors based on income. I don't know if there are any of those in the area I would like to live.
I want to get away from the harsh winters we have here, the severe cold temps. I don't mind a month or two of "bad" weather, but we get several months of it every year.
Also, NY state seems to be quite expensive to live in and would like some feedback about that. Is it financially worth it to move to NC?
Don't know if any of these questions will get answered. But I'm hoping so!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 06:01 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB41542 View Post
I am a retired 72 year old woman living in central New York and thinking of moving to Winston Salem, NC and looking for advice/information that anyone would care to pass along to me.
I want to rent a one-bedroom apartment (pet friendly), rent about $550-$600 with some or all utilities paid. Safe neighborhood. Prefer to not live in college apartments, would be nice to find apartments for seniors based on income. I don't know if there are any of those in the area I would like to live.
I want to get away from the harsh winters we have here, the severe cold temps. I don't mind a month or two of "bad" weather, but we get several months of it every year.
Also, NY state seems to be quite expensive to live in and would like some feedback about that. Is it financially worth it to move to NC?
Don't know if any of these questions will get answered. But I'm hoping so!
I think $550 to $600 for rent is unrealistically low. Most likely, the only utility that will be included will be water, and that's pretty inexpensive here. I think you're more likely to have to pay around $700 or more, plus electricity, cable, Internet , etc.

I would suggest you contact the Shepherd's Center and see if they have any information on senior housing, or other information/programs/services that may be of help to you.

http://www.shepherdscenter.org

Old 01-24-2015, 06:47 AM

Carolinadawg: I have an apartment guidebook that shows several apartments in Winston Salem area at those rent prices.
Are you saying they have posted incorrect information?

Old 01-24-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Carolinadawg: I have an apartment guidebook that shows several apartments in Winston Salem area at those rent prices.
Are you saying they have posted incorrect information?
I have no idea. I just don't think you'll find something in a safe , nice area for that price. I may be completely wrong however.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:13 AM

Carolinadawg: I think it could be possible that we have very different expectations. I prefer a simple life since I am financially challenged. Perhaps you are more fortunate than I am.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Carolinadawg: I think it could be possible that we have very different expectations. I prefer a simple life since I am financially challenged. Perhaps you are more fortunate than I am.
Ok, I'm just trying to help you, no need to attack me. I rented an apartment in Winston-Salem 14 years ago. 1 br, in a nice location near the Y, a large park, shopping, etc. I paid $475/month. I assumed (wrongly as it turns out) that rents would have increased in 14 years. I just went online and here is that same apartment, 14 years later, still $475/month. I stand corrected.

Rental Property Search DetailBaldwin Properties - Greensboro Rentals, Winston-Salem Rentals, High Point Rentals

Old 01-24-2015, 07:28 AM

Carolinadawg: I did not attack, I just answered, much as you did. I appreciate your input. But isn't it good to question things before making a decision? Thank you again. You must like it in WS. I'm hoping I do, too.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:02 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,423,675 times
Take a look at this link:

Senior Living Guide Senior Housing Search Results - Winston-Salem, NC

Old 01-24-2015, 08:21 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
I am a retired 72 year old woman.. thinking of moving to Winston Salem, NC
Why NC? Why Winston in particular?
You don't mention having the common draw of friends or family ...or any draw whatsoever.

Quote:
NY state seems to be quite expensive to live in
...Is it financially worth it to move to NC?
The main cost variable between ANY two locations will be real estate/housing.

The rest of most budgets are just about the same. Compare:
http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/...alculator.aspx
Quote:
I want to rent a one-bedroom apartment (pet friendly),
...rent about $550-$600 with some or all utilities paid.
Quote:
..apartments for seniors based on income.

http://www.allaboutseniors.org/Searc...able-Housing/1
http://www.hud.gov/apps/section8/index.cfm

Old 01-24-2015, 09:26 AM

Thank you for your answers and for the informational sites you included.

Mr. Rational: I have no family in NY so it really isn't a consideration. I am pretty good at making friends wherever I go and I have always been OK by myself. I think NC is a beautiful state.... the mountain area took my breath away and I love the idea of being only a few hours drive from the ocean. I have visited WS and Greensboro. I liked both areas but have decided upon WS.

Sue At The Rock: Thank you for your information. I have taken a quick look at it and plan to spend some time on that site checking out apartments. Very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point