U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 08:07 PM

42 posts, read 72,070 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I plan to move to either WS or Greensboro no later than September 2015. I'm a single 72 year old woman, retired, fixed income. I'm browsing a lot of apartments but realize that while the pictures and write-ups are lovely, I don't know the safe from the not-so-safe neighborhoods, etc.
I would appreciate hearing from some of you with your opinions and suggestions as to where I could feel relatively safe living by myself (with a cat). I have a pretty sensible head, know precautions to take, etc., but until I get a "feel" for the neighborhoods, I will be totally lost. Street names and landmarks would be very helpful.
Thanks to any of you who can give me information on this one.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 08:27 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,805,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB41542 View Post
Hi,
I plan to move to either WS or Greensboro no later than September 2015. I'm a single 72 year old woman, retired, fixed income. I'm browsing a lot of apartments but realize that while the pictures and write-ups are lovely, I don't know the safe from the not-so-safe neighborhoods, etc.
I would appreciate hearing from some of you with your opinions and suggestions as to where I could feel relatively safe living by myself (with a cat). I have a pretty sensible head, know precautions to take, etc., but until I get a "feel" for the neighborhoods, I will be totally lost. Street names and landmarks would be very helpful.
Thanks to any of you who can give me information on this one.
Thats really a tough question. There are many nice, safe neighborhoods in both cities, In general, the northwest and west sides of both cities are fine areas. In Winston-Salem, Country Club Road, Robinhood Road, Silas Creek Parkway, Jonestown Road. Neighborhoods to look for include Ardmore, Sherwood Forest, Clemmons. In Greensboro, Battleground Avenue, Friendly Avenue, Market Street, New Garden Road and Guilford College Road are usually nice areas. Neighborhoods around Friendly Shopping Center, Guilford College and Guilford Courthouse Military Park are nice.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:33 AM

Thank you!

Old 01-27-2015, 07:25 AM

28,482 posts, read 62,084,629 times
Quote:
I'm browsing a lot of apartments but realize that while the pictures and write-ups are lovely,
I don't know the safe from the not-so-safe neighborhoods, etc.
Didn't you include safety as a part of the basic criteria in your earlier post?
If it wasn't stated I'm sure everyone reading assumed it was a concern.

How has your browsing and reading of those write-ups found the other criteria
for an apartment that you did list? How many viable choices have you found?

Old 01-27-2015, 08:29 AM

1,486 posts, read 1,693,471 times
Some apartments in safe neighborhoods aren't so great. If you post what you see that you like, we can have better input.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:39 AM

Sue, thank you for that suggestion. I have several.

Timber Creek, Glendale Dr., Greensboro
The Morehead, W. Market, Greensboro
Garden Park Hanes Mall, Dalewood, Winston-Salem
Park South Apts., S. Park, Greensboro
Revolution Crossing, Yanceyville St., Greensboro
Serenity Apts., Wind Rd., Greensboro
Broadstone Village, High Point
Hidden Lakes, Weslo Willow Dr., Greensboro
Hunters Chase, Big Tree Way, Greensboro
Lindsey Manor, Kernersville
Willow Woods, Ingleside, High Point
Abbotts Creek, Kernersville
Cloisters & Foxfire, Suffolk Dr., High Point
The Colony, S. Mebane St., Burlington

Thanks.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:52 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,805,828 times
Quote:
Sue, thank you for that suggestion. I have several.

Timber Creek, Glendale Dr., Greensboro
The Morehead, W. Market, Greensboro
Garden Park Hanes Mall, Dalewood, Winston-Salem
Park South Apts., S. Park, Greensboro
Revolution Crossing, Yanceyville St., Greensboro
Serenity Apts., Wind Rd., Greensboro
Broadstone Village, High Point
Hidden Lakes, Weslo Willow Dr., Greensboro
Hunters Chase, Big Tree Way, Greensboro
Lindsey Manor, Kernersville
Willow Woods, Ingleside, High Point
Abbotts Creek, Kernersville
Cloisters & Foxfire, Suffolk Dr., High Point
The Colony, S. Mebane St., Burlington

Thanks.
I can offer some advice on a few:

Revolution Crossing - no
Park South - Could be a good choice. Located in an older neighborhood near downtown G'boro that is very nice. My stepdaughter lived near there for a couple of years. Its older so I'm not sure what kind of shape the units are in.
Abbotts Creek - safe location, fairly new. Some of the buildings are VERY close to I-40, so I'd make sure I was as far away from the highway as possible.
The Morehead - my gut tells me its not a good choice.
Timber Creek - no

Old 01-27-2015, 10:02 AM

Mr. Rational: I did not realize you were keeping track of my posts. Are you writing a book about me??

Old 01-27-2015, 10:03 AM

Carolinadawg2: That is very helpful, thank you!

Last edited by JEB41542; 01-27-2015 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 01-27-2015, 10:22 AM

1,486 posts, read 1,693,471 times
I agree with dawg. I like the neighborhood at Park South best. It's close to town and really pretty in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or