U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2015, 03:52 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,172,552 times

Advertisements

Good morning,

My middle child who is 22 is wanting to move to the area as my family is all native to NC. She's coming from upstate NY to look for schools. She figured to go ahead here as she is waiting for us to make our move to NC after the summer of 2016. She is looking for a tech school, hopefully with CNA training-she'd like to get her LPN or RN, but she's taking baby steps to get there as she's never been overly fond of school. But knows that's what she needs to get ahead. Can anyone point us in a direction of schools to look at that have CNA training?

Also, she's going to be looking for a apartment. Nothing expensive-a studio would do her fine- as we will be helping her until she starts working after she completes her CNA and takes over the costs. Something in a safe area-she will have her car there so she will be able to drive to school and work.

Thanks for any help. She's decided that she needs a fresh start somewhere and wants a chance to get her life started. She's still on the fence about going into the military-she took the practice ASVAB and did fine. But she's not sure if she really wants that, but may go that route in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 04:58 AM

58 posts, read 77,796 times
Guilford Technical Community College has nursing programs so I would start there to see if they have what she is looking for.

UNCG has more in-depth nursing programs if she wanted to go for a 4 year bachelors so that is an option as well.

As for apartments there should be plenty of good options in the UNCG area.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:44 AM

2,647 posts, read 6,083,157 times
Most anywhere in NC has a community college nearby that offers nursing programs. You can find a listing and locations by googling "NC Community Colleges", then drill down from there to research specific programs. Fortunately, NC also has a great number of colleges and universities that offer higher-level degrees. So I think your daughter doesn't need to focus so much on which school, but rather where she wants to live since anywhere she chooses would likely have easy access to a nursing program. The other requirements you listed (inexpensive apartments, safe area) can be found anywhere as well.

You didn't say what "move to the area" means--is "the area" the Triad, or NC in general? Is there a particular town or city that attracts her for some reason? If you can give us more specific criteria we can help narrow things down. Otherwise, I'd suggest she spend some time researching NC to help her decide what location is most attractive to her.

Good luck!

Old 01-27-2015, 06:14 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,654,997 times
Community college would be the most cost effective route. If she were to consider one of the 4-year state universities (e.g. UNC-Greensboro, Winston-Salem State, etc.), she first would have to establish NC residency to get in-state tuition.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:47 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,172,552 times
She's thinking of either Greensboro or Winston-Salem as I have immediate family in both areas. My Mom was from Eden and we still have ties to that area. Her younger sister is hoping to go to school at Guilford, Brevard or Longwood in VA. So she also wants to be able to go watch her if she gets to play the sport she's involved with there too.

She is living with friends in Kitty Hawk right now, but wants to be more where she can find work and have a choice of schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or