U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 06:47 PM

4,604 posts, read 4,431,536 times

Advertisements

World of Beer, a network of taverns known for offering more than 500 bottles of brew from around the world, is planning a Greensboro location. There are already locations in Charlotte and Raleigh. The new tavern will open in "midtown" Greensboro.

World of Beer to open first Greensboro location, according to Kotis Properties - Greensboro - Triad Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 06:28 PM

86 posts, read 90,795 times
i wish it would come to winston as well. it seems lately that g-boro is getting everything and Winston is not getting anything

Old 01-28-2015, 07:56 PM

7,280 posts, read 13,549,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchswcupk View Post
i wish it would come to winston as well. it seems lately that g-boro is getting everything and Winston is not getting anything
Having trouble finding a beer in Winston?

I think you might be having a little touch of the "grass is always greener" syndrome.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:53 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,337,792 times
I've heard people talk of City Brew(?) in Winston.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:55 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,337,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
World of Beer, a network of taverns known for offering more than 500 bottles of brew from around the world, is planning a Greensboro location. There are already locations in Charlotte and Raleigh. The new tavern will open in "midtown" Greensboro.

World of Beer to open first Greensboro location, according to Kotis Properties - Greensboro - Triad Business Journal
A manager at Pig Pounder wouldn't give up info on what Kotis was building there. All I had to do was wait a couple of weeks.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:49 AM

2,655 posts, read 6,103,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I've heard people talk of City Brew(?) in Winston.
Perhaps you're thinking of City Beverage. It's a beer store, not a bar, but they do have an amazing selection of beer, wine, and homebrewing supplies.

And yes, if anyone is having a problem finding a variety of great beers in Winston-Salem bars, they aren't trying very hard.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:02 AM

7,280 posts, read 13,549,842 times
Yeah, City Bev and Stella Brew are bottle shops. Both are great. I think you may be mashing them together to make City Brew.

My prickliness aside (which was brought about by the fact that there is, in fact, a ton of stuff being built and opened in Winston, so the "winston never gets anything" moping seemed silly to me), there actually aren't many bars in Winston with ENORMOUS beer lists like what WOB offers. I wouldn't mind seeing a new place open focused on that (I'd prefer something locally owned to a chain) or seeing an existing bar move more in that direction.

That said, there's a ton of great beer and great places to drink in Winston. Foothills is an exceptional micro and Small Batch and Hoots add a lot to the local beer scene too. First Street Draught House has a fantastic, constantly rotating beer selection (24 taps, I think). Old Winston Social Club is the same way (40 taps or so), as is Finnegan's Wake (40 taps). Carolina Ale House isn't my thing, but I think they have close to 200 total beers, about a third of those on tap.Others (Quiet Pint comes to mind) don't have as many taps, but focus on quality and rotate constantly.

So, long story short, there are plenty of good choices in Winston.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:54 PM

144 posts, read 228,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post

So, long story short, there are plenty of good choices in Winston.
Moreover, the plenty of good choices in Winston are within walking distance of each other, providing ample space for the adventurous drunk, and a growing network of people working & drinking together to support the economy. Meanwhile Greensboro continues to develop new spaces to fit the needs of cars - and not people. Greensboro citizens are the ones unfortunately stuck with an outdated suburban mall pattern of growth, so if you think g-boro is "getting everything", you might consider stepping out from behind the wheel to take a walk every now and then. Once you do, you'll see that the grass in Greensboro really isn't so "green" after all.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:42 PM

22 posts, read 23,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetMission View Post
Moreover, the plenty of good choices in Winston are within walking distance of each other, providing ample space for the adventurous drunk, and a growing network of people working & drinking together to support the economy. Meanwhile Greensboro continues to develop new spaces to fit the needs of cars - and not people. Greensboro citizens are the ones unfortunately stuck with an outdated suburban mall pattern of growth, so if you think g-boro is "getting everything", you might consider stepping out from behind the wheel to take a walk every now and then. Once you do, you'll see that the grass in Greensboro really isn't so "green" after all.
I live in Greensboro and your right about Greensboro being scattered all over. And this Westover Terrace area is a traffic disaster. As for WOB - never been to one but it doesn't sound all that great of place to me. So what they have 500 beers from all over the world. It's is probably old inventory that sits around waiting for someone to order so obscure beer. No thanks.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:27 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,244,833 times
Don't get me wrong, I'm down for keeping it local, I'm down for more local, but what gets me is when xyz chain comes, that isn't currently in xyz place, and then people complain that they can go to that same place any where. No you can't,plenty of places that don't have one, including where you live. XYZ place might not be unique but at the end of the day, it's new to you, I can see if it's something like a damn McDonalds that is not just every where, but something that is already abundant and over saturating itself around the city, but if there isn't one, then I think people are just complaining for no other reason then they just want to complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or