U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 09:55 AM

28 posts, read 35,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj44 View Post
Thank you. I agree I don't know how you could move without a job first.
I did it once, and it probably took a few years off my life...but the alternative was worse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 09:13 PM

302 posts, read 537,912 times
I have cousins who live near Somerville in central Jersey. The cost of living, weather, and taxes should be three of the greatest advantages of living here over New Jersey. The only thing that Princeton has over Winston-Salem is the convenience of a drive to the rail station and the 45-50min ride to THE city in one direction, or the same amount of time driving to Bucks Co. in the opposite direction to antique. There is plenty to hold your interests in NW NC by way of recreation, pace of lifestyle, and cultural amenities.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:13 AM

42 posts, read 72,665 times
I understand the importance of getting a job before you move. However, there are companies that do not keep their end of the bargain.
Over 20 years ago, I worked for Carrier in Syracuse, NY. I had 25 years in. My son and his family lived near Dallas, TX and Carrier had a plant in Tyler, TX, about 100 miles southeast of Dallas. I applied for a job in Tyler and had a phone interview with a person I had known for a long time. He hired me. Told me when to be there. I sold my condo, hired a moving truck, and headed south (right in the middle of March 1993 blizzard in northeast. When I got to Tyler, I called the Tyler plant, spoke with human resources who said job would start the following Monday and to make sure I got all my living in Tyler business done before I started as they did not want me to take time off to do stuff. So I did it all, insurances, driver's license, registration, etc. The Friday before I was to start my new job, I got a phone call. Your job is no longer available. Sorry.
Needless to say, I was shocked. I was told to call once a week in case "something changed." It did not. Came back a year later, went to Carrier in Syracuse, told I had nothing to offer them.
So, that is just one hopefully rare story of getting a job before moving. Never really saw that coming.
So, good luck to anyone who is seeking a job and then moving.
This time, I am retired and have a reasonable (tho not great) retirement income. Because of what Carrier did to me in Tyler, I was eventually "terminated" at the age of 53 which severely reduced my pension even with 25 years service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or