U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 07:41 PM

138 posts, read 196,697 times

Advertisements

I'm looking forward to the hiking and to experience the city. We have now confirmed our plans to move to Winston-Salem. Now I am looking for a house to rent while we live there. The prices are quite surprising. I'm finding 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom houses for cheaper than studio apartments cost here. I have noticed a lot of houses for less than $1000 a month. Would you say these are OK to live in or are they probably in bad areas? What would be a good value to rent a house in a decent neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 05:22 AM

1,486 posts, read 1,693,471 times
If you post locations on here, someone might be able to help you weed out the ones you shouldn't consider.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:42 PM

That's a good idea. Thanks

Old 02-08-2015, 07:59 PM

7,281 posts, read 13,520,136 times
Very good idea, Sue.

And just so you know, Jas, a 3/2 for under $1k is definitely not unheard of in Winston, even in pretty good areas of the city. You don't have to move from Sydney to experience a little pleasant sticker shock.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:58 PM

Thank's everybody for your help and great advice. Everybody seems so friendly and helpful. I will be making my move to Winston-Salem next month, I am so excited. I just have a few more questions.

1. Does it get cold in the winter? Does it snow?
I always imagined the south to be warm all year long but it just occurred to me that WS is much further north than Florida and I might need to pack some winter clothes.

2. Does Greensboro and WS seem like 1 big city or are they quite separated? Would it be inconvenient to live in Greensboro and work in WS? I'm just trying to keep options open. I will be working in WS but don't yet know which city will be a better fit for me and my lifestyle.

3. How is the coffee? Are their cafe's in WS other than Starbucks? Can anyone recommend a good one?

Old 05-24-2015, 04:34 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,805,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasR30 View Post
Thank's everybody for your help and great advice. Everybody seems so friendly and helpful. I will be making my move to Winston-Salem next month, I am so excited. I just have a few more questions.

I always imagined the south to be warm all year long but it just occurred to me that WS is much further north than Florida and I might need to pack some winter clothes.

2. Does Greensboro and WS seem like 1 big city or are they quite separated? Would it be inconvenient to live in Greensboro and work in WS? I'm just trying to keep options open. I will be working in WS but don't yet know which city will be a better fit for me and my lifestyle.

3. How is the coffee? Are their cafe's in WS other than Starbucks? Can anyone recommend a good one?
1. January and February get cold, although generally a cold day or 2 or 3 will be followed by a warm up for a few days, then another cold snap, etc. Most of the cold days will be in the teens or 20's (F), but occasionally there will be a day or 2 colder. W-S usually gets 2 or 3 snow storms, usually a couple of inches at a time, which will shut things down for a day or 2 before it melts. Sometimes there will be a bigger storm that brings 4 or 5 inches and mey be a problem for 2 or 3 days. Ice storms also occur, which are a real pain, as they frequently knock out electricity, sometimes for days.

2. G'boro and W-S are separated. Its a good 30- 40 minutes between downtowns, although obviously the eastern most side of W-S is only about 15 to 20 minutes from the western most side of G'boro. Lots of people commute between them, obviously it just depends on how long a commute you can tolerate. I have commuted from G'boro to W-S, and wouldn't want to do it long term. One specific issue with that is Business 40, one of 2 main routes connecting the cities, is about to be shut down completely for repairs for 2 years. Its somewhat unprecedented, and no one knows exactly how its going to effect traffic, but you definitely need to take it into account no matter where in W-S you live, especially if you will be working in downtown W-S.

3. Lots of independent coffee shops. Krankies, Camino Bakery, Chelsee's and Washington Perk in W-S.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:23 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,920,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasR30 View Post

I definitely wouldn't choose to live in GSO and work in W-S. It would require a good bit of driving that is totally unnecessary because both cities are equally as livable and in the same size category. You'll find more of an urban vibe in W-S than in GSO.

Definitely look at West End and Ardmore...both are near downtown and are beautiful historic neighborhoods with commercial areas located within them. But there are great historic loft conversions in downtown W-S. The Brookstown area has a few as well as the Wake Forest Innovation Quarter and other areas. Many of the old factories in and around downtown have been converted to residential, and a historic 20-story office building was repurposed as apartments a few years back. Nissen Building - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I believe it's in your price range.

Welcome to the Triad and I hope you have a great experience here. Most North Carolinians are very welcoming and will help you adjust, but like anywhere else you may experience negativity. Someone may ask you about going to church (it's not uncommon) but if you aren't interested it's not impolite to say "No thank you" or something to that effect. They usually aren't trying to be nosy, but are trying to be helpful.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:38 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,790,027 times
You can get legally married in NC, something you can't yet do in Australia.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:13 PM

Thanks so much guys. That was very helpful. I'll look into those neighborhoods you mentioned. I think I will be very happy in Winston-Salem and am really looking forward to it.

Thanks for all your comments and advice.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:20 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,920,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
You can get legally married in NC, something you can't yet do in Australia.
Why didn't I think of that? Good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or