U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 07:06 PM

1,486 posts, read 1,695,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasR30 View Post
Thanks so much guys. That was very helpful. I'll look into those neighborhoods you mentioned. I think I will be very happy in Winston-Salem and am really looking forward to it.

Thanks for all your comments and advice.
When is your move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 04:56 AM

138 posts, read 196,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
When is your move?
I will be moving in mid July.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:28 AM

138 posts, read 196,877 times
Our move has been delayed to now. We are moving in about 2 weeks, right before Christmas. I've read that Winston-Salem is a great city to be in during the holidays.

I'm looking at apartments to rent and am wondering if these are good areas. One is 1010 Oak Grove Rd near Forsyth Community College north of downtown and another is 2930 Ramsgate Ct south of downtown. These 2 apartments are the same price but the one at Ramsgate Ct is significantly larger and has an extra bedroom. I'm wondering if both these areas are safe and which area would you guys rather live in?

Thanks in advance, you guys have been more than helpful.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:36 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,810,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasR30 View Post
Our move has been delayed to now. We are moving in about 2 weeks, right before Christmas. I've read that Winston-Salem is a great city to be in during the holidays.

I'm looking at apartments to rent and am wondering if these are good areas. One is 1010 Oak Grove Rd near Forsyth Community College north of downtown and another is 2930 Ramsgate Ct south of downtown. These 2 apartments are the same price but the one at Ramsgate Ct is significantly larger and has an extra bedroom. I'm wondering if both these areas are safe and which area would you guys rather live in?

Thanks in advance, you guys have been more than helpful.
I would advise you to pass on both of those. Of the two, I'd probably go with Oak Grove Road, but again, I think you should look elsewhere. And just as an fyi, Oak Grove Road is south of downtown, and Ramsgate is north of of downtown.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:05 AM

3,867 posts, read 6,659,741 times
I haven't lived in W-S since 2008, but I'm going to respectfully disagree with carolinadawg2. I think the Ramsgate location is the better choice of the two you listed. But in general, not knowing the rent for either, I think you could do better. Where will you be working? That might help you get better advice on locations.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:21 AM

2,648 posts, read 6,086,746 times
I think both of those areas are generally safe, but both are very close to college campuses and thus will likely be full of students. Whether that's good or bad depends on what you're looking for.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:43 AM

7,278 posts, read 13,526,501 times
Yeah, that Ramsgate area doesn't seem bad, but that area near the Coliseum/University intersection is really hit-or-miss. It's not far from a country club and a fantastic university... and it's also not far from some severely seedy neighborhoods. Without specifically knowing what the complex on Ramsgate is like, it's hard to say whether it's a place I'd recommend.

But for anything approaching the price range you mentioned in your early posts, I, like roadpony, feel that you could likely do better.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:45 AM

Do a Google Maps streetview look at Ramsgate. I wouldn't live there.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:06 PM

7,278 posts, read 13,526,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Do a Google Maps streetview look at Ramsgate. I wouldn't live there.
I did, and I didn't see any particular red flags. I've just never been there in person. What put you off?

Old 12-03-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
I did, and I didn't see any particular red flags. I've just never been there in person. What put you off?
The "quality" of the residents cars, the poor condition of the parking lot pavement, the motel-like architecture of the buildings, the unshielded dumpsters, the crappy looking landscaping. It doesn't exactly scream "great place to live". It may be fine, I just wouldn't take a chance on it, given the number of better options, especially in the OP's price range. I'm sure the rent at Ramsgate is nowhere near $1,000 a month. At least I hope it isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or