U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-01-2015, 02:28 AM
 
Location: Sydney, Australia
138 posts, read 196,750 times
Reputation: 61

Advertisements

I am originally from Seattle but I moved to Sydney Australia 4 years ago to live with my partner. We now want to move to the US and my partner got a job offer in Winston-Salem that would start in July. We haven't decided yet if we are going to take it or not but we most likely will. I have lots of questions about Winston-Salem before we go.

1. We are a gay couple, is Winston-Salem accepting of the gay community? Is there much of a gay culture?

2. We like Asian food, are there decent Asian restaurants in town?

3. When we arrive I probably won't be able to afford a car right away. How is the public transportation? Is the city walkable if we live close to downtown?

4. What is a good, safe place to live?

5. How do people spend there time on weekends?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-01-2015, 07:32 AM
 
528 posts, read 451,991 times
Reputation: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasR30 View Post
I am originally from Seattle but I moved to Sydney Australia 4 years ago to live with my partner. We now want to move to the US and my partner got a job offer in Winston-Salem that would start in July. We haven't decided yet if we are going to take it or not but we most likely will. I have lots of questions about Winston-Salem before we go.

1. We are a gay couple, is Winston-Salem accepting of the gay community? Is there much of a gay culture?

2. We like Asian food, are there decent Asian restaurants in town?

3. When we arrive I probably won't be able to afford a car right away. How is the public transportation? Is the city walkable if we live close to downtown?

4. What is a good, safe place to live?

5. How do people spend there time on weekends?
1. There is not too much of a gay culture here, but inner city W-S is open-minded for the most part, so I don't think you would have any problems.

2. Yes, I would say so. Not as good as a major city like Sydney, but decent.

3. The public transportation here is pretty poor, but if you live within a 2-mile radius of downtown (specifically south and west ends) you should be able to walk/bike for several errands. The farther from downtown, the more car-dependent it gets.

4. Most of Downtown is safe, as well as the neighborhoods south and to the west of downtown. I would personally avoid the neighborhoods to the north and east of downtown.

5. W-S is a pretty boring place compared to Sydney, but there are things to do here. We are within a day-trip's distance from the beach and mountains. There is also a few really nice state parks (Hanging Rock and Pilot Mountain) within an hour. Within the city, there are various art events (W-S is the "City of the Arts") held throughout the year. However, to be frank, there is not that much to do on the weekends compared to larger cities. The downtown area is nice but small, and we have a mall but it's pretty generic.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2015, 09:36 AM
 
Location: NC
144 posts, read 227,436 times
Reputation: 264
Winston Salem isn't much for Asian food. Greensboro, which is a 30 min. drive away, has more options including Vietnamese and Korean restaurants.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2015, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Sydney, Australia
138 posts, read 196,750 times
Reputation: 61
I love the outdoors, I'll check out Hanging Rock and Pilot Mountain. Thanks for the input. Vietnamese and Korean are perfect. Does Greensboro feel more like a big city or are they about the same? Do people commute between the 2 cities? How is the traffic between them?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2015, 05:17 PM
 
Location: Sydney, Australia
138 posts, read 196,750 times
Reputation: 61
There is a lot about this move that I am really excited about.

Hanes mall might seem generic to you but a lot of the shops there don't exist in Sydney. American Eagle, Abercrombie & Fitch, Banana Republic, H&M, etc. And the stores we do have are way more expensive and have only a small variety compared to what can be found in America.

Also, Sydney is a big city but it is also very isolated, once you leave Sydney, there is nowhere to go. I'm excited to have the opportunity to go away for the weekend and explore. You can drive to Charlotte, Raleigh, Knoxville, or even Atlanta for a weekend.

Sydney also has horrible traffic and virtually no parking anywhere. And what parking there is, is really expensive. I'm looking forward to actually being able to drive somewhere and park my car without having an anxiety attack. Part of the allure of Winston-Salem for me is that it is a smaller city and a more laid back lifestyle.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2015, 05:19 PM
 
528 posts, read 451,991 times
Reputation: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasR30 View Post
I love the outdoors, I'll check out Hanging Rock and Pilot Mountain. Thanks for the input. Vietnamese and Korean are perfect. Does Greensboro feel more like a big city or are they about the same? Do people commute between the 2 cities? How is the traffic between them?
Greensboro feels about the same as W-S. Its downtown area actually feels smaller than W-S. Traffic is smooth between them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2015, 05:20 PM
 
528 posts, read 451,991 times
Reputation: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasR30 View Post
There is a lot about this move that I am really excited about.

Hanes mall might seem generic to you but a lot of the shops there don't exist in Sydney. American Eagle, Abercrombie & Fitch, Banana Republic, H&M, etc. And the stores we do have are way more expensive and have only a small variety compared to what can be found in America.

Also, Sydney is a big city but it is also very isolated, once you leave Sydney, there is nowhere to go. I'm excited to have the opportunity to go away for the weekend and explore. You can drive to Charlotte, Raleigh, Knoxville, or even Atlanta for a weekend.

Sydney also has horrible traffic and virtually no parking anywhere. And what parking there is, is really expensive. I'm looking forward to actually being able to drive somewhere and park my car without having an anxiety attack. Part of the allure of Winston-Salem for me is that it is a smaller city and a more laid back lifestyle.
Sounds like you'll love W-S then! Most of the city (except for downtown) has free parking and traffic is good for the most part.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2015, 05:27 PM
 
Location: The Emerald City
1,486 posts, read 1,694,213 times
Reputation: 2109
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasR30 View Post
There is a lot about this move that I am really excited about.

Hanes mall might seem generic to you but a lot of the shops there don't exist in Sydney. American Eagle, Abercrombie & Fitch, Banana Republic, H&M, etc. And the stores we do have are way more expensive and have only a small variety compared to what can be found in America.

Also, Sydney is a big city but it is also very isolated, once you leave Sydney, there is nowhere to go. I'm excited to have the opportunity to go away for the weekend and explore. You can drive to Charlotte, Raleigh, Knoxville, or even Atlanta for a weekend.

Sydney also has horrible traffic and virtually no parking anywhere. And what parking there is, is really expensive. I'm looking forward to actually being able to drive somewhere and park my car without having an anxiety attack. Part of the allure of Winston-Salem for me is that it is a smaller city and a more laid back lifestyle.
That's great! You should enjoy it then.

I've lived in bad traffic cities as well. I live in Greensboro now ( I grew up here) and I forgot what it's like to drive right up and park near where you want to go. Good luck with your move.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2015, 08:55 PM
 
2,825 posts, read 3,264,914 times
Reputation: 1645
I like Winston-Salem. I feel like it's a perfect example of urban North Carolina, and it doesn't have a reputation of being "saturated with Yankee transplants" like the Research Triangle or Charlotte metros. It has a rich history of tobacco, and Old Salem is very nice. Plenty of great hiking spots outside the city like Hanging Rock and Pilot Mountain, too. Also, if you're familiar with The Andy Griffith Show, Mt. Airy ("Mayberry") isn't too far. If you want an even larger city/metro, you could easily take weekend or day trips to Charlotte for whatever. Winston-Salem is a little far from the coast, but it's not too far from the mountains. You could take weekend trips to the coast, but it's probably a little too far for a day trip. The mountains are a different story. The Boone/Blowing Rock area is only an hour and a half to the west, cute mountain towns. Downtown Winston is very nice, as well. I hear they're opening a Mast General Store! I'm sure you'll love it! Definitely more laid back compared to Sydney.

Greensboro isn't too different. However, it has a larger population than Winston-Salem so it has more suburban sprawl. Downtown Greensboro is actually smaller than downtown Winston-Salem, though. I wouldn't say it feels bigger, and I'm sure people commute between the two cities because they're not far apart. In general, I doubt you'd ever have a reason to visit Greensboro if you live in Winston-Salem (with the possible exception of the Greensboro Coliseum).

Oh, and Hanes Mall is fine IMO.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2015, 06:19 AM
 
528 posts, read 451,991 times
Reputation: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I like Winston-Salem. I feel like it's a perfect example of urban North Carolina, and it doesn't have a reputation of being "saturated with Yankee transplants" like the Research Triangle or Charlotte metros. It has a rich history of tobacco, and Old Salem is very nice. Plenty of great hiking spots outside the city like Hanging Rock and Pilot Mountain, too. Also, if you're familiar with The Andy Griffith Show, Mt. Airy ("Mayberry") isn't too far. If you want an even larger city/metro, you could easily take weekend or day trips to Charlotte for whatever. Winston-Salem is a little far from the coast, but it's not too far from the mountains. You could take weekend trips to the coast, but it's probably a little too far for a day trip. The mountains are a different story. The Boone/Blowing Rock area is only an hour and a half to the west, cute mountain towns. Downtown Winston is very nice, as well. I hear they're opening a Mast General Store! I'm sure you'll love it! Definitely more laid back compared to Sydney.

Greensboro isn't too different. However, it has a larger population than Winston-Salem so it has more suburban sprawl. Downtown Greensboro is actually smaller than downtown Winston-Salem, though. I wouldn't say it feels bigger, and I'm sure people commute between the two cities because they're not far apart. In general, I doubt you'd ever have a reason to visit Greensboro if you live in Winston-Salem (with the possible exception of the Greensboro Coliseum).

Oh, and Hanes Mall is fine IMO.
Agreed. Downtown Winston does feel bigger than Downtown Greensboro. Downtown Greensboro mainly revolves around just one street (Elm Street).
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top