U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2015, 04:09 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,807,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Every state has it. Excise tax is a part of the titling process ... not registration.

NC however doesn't just hit you once at the sales tax rate.
They "discount" that and then hit you year after year with personal property tax instead.

Some seeem to think this approach is better for them.
I suspect they haven't done the math.
I don't think thats correct, if I'm reading you correctly. When you title a car in NC you pay a one-time highway use tax equal to 3% of the car's value to the state and then you annually pay property taxes (based on your local property tax, just like real estate) to the city/county where you live. There's no "discount" by the state in exchange for annual property taxes, because the property taxes go to the city and county, not the state.

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 02-09-2015 at 04:38 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 04:23 PM

28,487 posts, read 62,101,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
When you title a car in NC you pay a one-time highway use tax equal to 3% of the car's value
and then you annually pay personal property taxes (based on the cars value)
VS paying (a higher) EXCISE sales tax just ONCE and then NOT paying an annual PP tax.
Typically excise tax rates = sales tax rates.

Run the numbers on your vehicles.
See how YOU come out.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:27 PM

42 posts, read 72,130 times
Default NC taxes

Mr. Rational:

Thank you for explaining that in more detail.

So I will be paying a tax on my personal property (car, clothing, etc.) each year? Do they have a per person rate or use a family rate? I am pretty sure I have not heard of this one before.

Is there a site that will list all of the taxes I will be paying when I move there?

My "when I move there" is slowly becoming "if I move there."

Old 02-09-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
VS paying (a higher) EXCISE sales tax just ONCE and then NOT paying an annual PP tax.
Typically excise tax rates = sales tax rates.

Run the numbers on your vehicles.
See how YOU come out.
But its not comparable because the highway use tax goes to the state and the annual property tax goes to city/county, so any conversation of whats "best" is purely theoretical, at best. You seem to be aggressively painting me as an apologist for the way the system is constructed, versus the way you think it should be, which isn't the case. I'm just saying it doesn't make sense to pretend its possible to substitute a sales tax for property taxes because the money goes different places.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB41542 View Post
Mr. Rational:

Thank you for explaining that in more detail.

So I will be paying a tax on my personal property (car, clothing, etc.) each year? Do they have a per person rate or use a family rate? I am pretty sure I have not heard of this one before.

Is there a site that will list all of the taxes I will be paying when I move there?

My "when I move there" is slowly becoming "if I move there."
The only personal property that is taxed are cars, boats, rv's etc. Its based on the value of the item, multiplied by the local tax rate, divided by 100.

So, for a $10,000 car, in a city with a combined city/county tax rate of $1.00, the the tax would be $100. Its not a big deal, financially.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
But its not comparable because the highway use tax goes to...
That's just political cover.

Follow the money as it leaves your wallet. Then add it up.
Which of the states pocket it might go into is quite immaterial.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
That's just political cover.

Follow the money as it leaves your wallet. Then add it up.
Which of the states pocket it might go into is quite immaterial.
Umm, there is a difference between the state and local government. I do hope you realize that. They may all seem like the same sort of parasite to you, but they are different. Thats not political cover, thats the reality of how our government is structured and funded.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
...thats the reality of how our government is structured and funded.
And administered.

Cumbersome. Wasteful. Duplicative.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
And administered.

Cumbersome. Wasteful. Duplicative.
Thats an entirely different discussion and way off topic for this thread...

Old 02-09-2015, 05:45 PM

42 posts, read 72,130 times
I guess the bottom line for me is ..... which is the more expensive state, NY or NC?

If I move, I will not be able to return to NY. I don't have the resources. NC is such a beautiful state and I love that the mountains are on one side and the ocean on the other. But I have to stop thinking of that..... I need to do the right thing for me whatever that turns out to be.

Was hoping it would not be this complicated.

Carolinadawg2, thank you for breaking all of that down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or