U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 01:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,396 times

Advertisements

My daughter is choosing a film school for BFA in Film, and fortunately she is accepted at UNCSA. I am seeking input on the UNCSA film program, campus life, and career job industry acceptance of UNCSA Film grads.

She is also accepted at Savannah College of Art and Design which has a Film BFA program. Same questions, seeking info on the quality of the film program, campus life, and career job industry acceptance of SCAD Film grads.

One significant change in this past year which might effect film students, and where they go to school, is the loss of tax incentives in NC, versus the booming film and tv industry in Georgia, which now captures 16% of Hollywood productions. I'm seriously wondering whether that should be considered in choosing a film school, ie, would the opportunities for film students from SCAD to find internships on sets in Savannah and Atlanta, be significantly greater than the opportunity for UNCSA film students to get those internships? Would SCAD have more exposure to film industry opportunities than UNSCA students? Should we include this in the film school choice?

Finally, the SCAD campus life seems to have a greater abundance of student activities and time to participate in clubs, as well as encouragement to take some elective courses outside the film major. It seems this would offer a more balanced life than the conservatory style of 14 hrs x7 days / week. My vote would be for the more balanced 4 years of college, rather than the singular purpose style of conservatory. However, that vote would change to conservatory style if it turned out that SCAD grads don't get the better jobs in the film industry, and that UNSCA grads did get those jobs. Any thoughts, experiences, knowledge or comments of any kind on that?

Thanks for any input on either or both schools, much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 10:30 AM

7,281 posts, read 13,521,972 times
I'd imagine you aren't going to get a lot of mileage out of posting your question here, as most folks not directly associated with UNCSA (and it's not a huge school) won't know much about the school's place in the industry, and those who are affiliated with UNCSA are hardly unbiased.

I'll say this: film incentives aren't everything. A lot of the film activity in NC is centered in Wilmington or Charlotte, not in Winston-Salem. The benefits of the school have more to do with faculty, facilities, alumni, etc. They're mostly going to be working on student films during the year and can intern anywhere. The Hollywood Reporter ranks UNCSA ahead of SCAD for film (Top 25 Film Schools in the United States - Hollywood Reporter), which is one indicator, if that sort of thing means anything to you.

But at the end of the day, if your daughter is looking for a more balanced college experience, she might consider a film program housed within a larger university. Both UNCSA and SCAD are going have that art school flair.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:50 AM

99 posts, read 101,134 times
Recently, as of last week, a group of lawmakers from NC are currently working to change the film incentive. They are trying to increase the film incentive. I hate that Pat McCrory did that in the first place. I'm a aspiring screenwriter myself. Despite the things that has transpire, I'm still going to do business in NC. This is just a temporary setback, and nothing will change that bc NC film industry goes back to 35 years. My goal is to revitalize the film industry in NC like never before after I finish with school in 2 wks, and a lot of local film producers are doing to the same. As far as film school, its whatever school that have the strongest history, good curriculum, and produce a lot of prominent alumni. Winston Salem does host a lot of film festivals. Also schools like Howard University, NYC, UCLA, University of Iowa, UNC-Wilmington, the New School are good schools for film majors.

SCAD:
Savannah College of Art and Design - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

UNCSA:
List of alumni of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by tcm1913; 02-20-2015 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: Error

Old 02-20-2015, 12:00 PM

302 posts, read 536,849 times
Both SCAD and UNCSA are excellent schools.

SCAD is more aligned in the arts of visual expertise: painting, sculpture, weaving and the like. It also offers a new study in historic preservation. Savannah is a charming city and one of my favourite cities, but it can have a high amount of crime downtown from the historic district, south through midtown, the victorian district toward Oglethorpe Mall, and the summers are oppressively hot and muggy.

UNCSA is geared more toward schools of performance: drama, dance, theatre design and production, and film. The film school has a few more years of experience under its belt over SCAD I believe.

I don't think state incentives for filming in North Carolina and Georgia have any bearing over the ease of finding a job in the field. Both states have their share of movies, TV serials, and commercials made respectively. If anything, UNCSA may have an edge with it's connections to both Hollywood and Broadway, and the school has a history of its staff helping students along after graduation. The previous chancellor, John Mauceri, is the current conductor of the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra, professor Dave Pollock (and previous dean of the film department) helped start the River Run Film Festival in Winston-Salem, and numerous other staff members have directed or acted or danced on Broadway. Connections are important, as in any line of work, and it's more about who you know over what you know.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:45 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,742,906 times
Here is a ranking I had saved somewhere. UNCSA is ranked pretty high, though I have seen Rankings where it was higher. Savannah not mentioned.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ankings-215714

I also don't think incentives are relevant to school, but the lack has hurt jobs in NC. However, I belived from day one that my daughter would do some time, getting started, in either NYC or LA, and that is exactly what happened.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:46 AM

7,281 posts, read 13,521,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Here is a ranking I had saved somewhere. UNCSA is ranked pretty high, though I have seen Rankings where it was higher. Savannah not mentioned.

The 25 Best Film Schools Rankings - Hollywood Reporter

I also don't think incentives are relevant to school, but the lack has hurt jobs in NC. However, I belived from day one that my daughter would do some time, getting started, in either NYC or LA, and that is exactly what happened.
That list is a few years old, but is global in scope. Pretty impressive. The list I posted was the most recent, but it's just for the US. Either way, by most objective measures (and many subjective measures), UNCSA has a world-class film program.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:51 PM
LLN

Sorry I missed the list in your post. I read the post, just not carefully enough.

I have another one somewhere which at some point talks about value divided by tuition dollars and UNCSA wins in a cakewalk. Over everyone!

I would say, too, that a BFA from a larger university would certainly provide a more well rounded, 360 degree,college experience,

To be truly successful at UNCSA, and by that I mean ending up with the reputation, the skill set And the experience, I believe it takes full commitment. That is why I am such a fan. It really is real world.

My daughter is working 65 hour weeks without blinking an eye. That is an education.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:34 PM

129 posts, read 270,422 times
To be truly successful at UNCSA, and by that I mean ending up with the reputation, the skill set And the experience, I believe it takes full commitment. That is why I am such a fan. It really is real world.

My daughter is working 65 hour weeks without blinking an eye. That is an education.

LLN: My son is there also. I couldn't agree more!

Old 03-08-2015, 06:41 AM
LLN

OK, I was not clear in my last post. My child graduated two Mays ago, she struggled the first year, but has now worked full time for about a year. Two of the shows she is worked on are on the air. She has a wide array of options when the current production run is over.

To my point. In NYC she is routinely working 65 - 70 hour weeks, it is the ethic she learned at UNCSA. Unfortunately, even at 23 she is very critical of these not willing or able to put in comittment of time, energy, and intellect. (Read others with film degrees but not from UNCSA a type schools) While her work is "centered" on the srt department, her area of concentration, she has worked far and wide due to the varied experiences at and opportunities presented in Winston.

This is honest..65 hrs at UNCSA a would have been a non exceptional week! That place is really a state treasure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point