U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 07:12 AM

7,281 posts, read 13,521,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
I love the pepperbuilding, it's a taste of the old Winston from a bygone era of industrial domination, it's just cool and i'm glad it's still standing.
I agree. It's an awesome building. I love the angle of it where you can see the exposed side where another building once stood. This flickr image I found in a google search captures it well: https://www.flickr.com/photos/basspl...ll/8267963153/

That building was built during an era in which Winston was the largest city in North Carolina. It was only about 48,000 people at the time, so it wasn't nearly as large as it is today, even, but everything was concentrated in the downtown area and pretty much entirely owned by RJ Reynolds and Hanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 12:24 PM

819 posts, read 1,012,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
You might consider editing your first post, then. You gave this whole thread a jolt of "poor widdle winston," when in reality that's anything but true, and you yourself referenced Greensboro as a point of comparison from the start. The fact that there are fewer posts on this one board is more an indication of the posting habits of the dozen or so regular posters than anything about the developments in the two cities.
I didn't mean for it to come out like that, I just stated what i thought was the issues. I guess it looks to negative.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:43 PM

528 posts, read 451,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetMission View Post
Winston Salem is a humble but lively city. It has really evolved beyond my first impressions as a new resident back in 2007. In those days it was convenient to brush off the small-town modesty of WS and look towards Greensboro as "the city." Nowadays however I see Greensboro as what it truly is - a burgeoning mass of sprawl and parking lots.
Something as simple as on street dining has really vitalized downtown Winston Salem, while Greensboro's lone Elm Street is still trying to find its personality.
I agree with every single word in this post.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:53 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,103,476 times
When we moved here in 2011, I was slightly concerned if there would be enough for us to do in Winston-Salem, but I've been pleasantly surprised. Not that we're much closer to WS than G'boro (near Wallburg, we're 20 minutes to WS or HP, about 30 minutes to Gboro), but we do spend a lot more time in WS. There is very little in Gboro that we don't have in WS - some bigger name concerts that come to Gboro but not WS is one thing I can think of.

Downtown WS is my favorite downtown of any of the NC cities of ~100k population or more. I joined Kimpton's loyalty program just so I can book at room at the hotel in the old Reynolds building as soon as it opens. And I've been waiting for Mast General to open for a while now! The company I work for did construction work in the building, so I'm surprised it isn't opening until May.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:02 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,229,155 times
So....before this goes south what developments are going on in Winston, somebody give me a list, and some pics

Old 02-22-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
Downtown WS is my favorite downtown of any of the NC cities of ~100k population or more. I joined Kimpton's loyalty program just so I can book at room at the hotel in the old Reynolds building as soon as it opens. And I've been waiting for Mast General to open for a while now! The company I work for did construction work in the building, so I'm surprised it isn't opening until May.
Downtown WS is overall better than Downtown GSO, since DT GSO really is a one-street downtown (Elm Street). That being said, Downtown GSO wins in the nightlife and local shops category (unless you count Burke St as part of downtown WS--in that case they're about even). Downtown GSO also benefits from the numerous colleges that surround it, although Old Salem in WS more than makes up for that.

I also really like Uptown Charlotte, since it has a very modern and dynamic vibe. Downtown WS is definitely better than Downtown Raleigh and Durham in my opinion.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
So....before this goes south what developments are going on in Winston, somebody give me a list, and some pics
I got the ball rolling in the second post in the thread, complete with links to pictures and more.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:51 AM

99 posts, read 101,134 times
What are some other things to do in Winston Salem, besides looking at art exhibits and the Hanes Malls?

Old 02-23-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcm1913 View Post
What are some other things to do in Winston Salem, besides looking at art exhibits and the Hanes Malls?
A few off the top of my head:
Old Salem, one of the most unique districts in a North Carolina city
Reynolda Village/Reynolda House/Reynolda Gardens
Historic Bethabara
Tanglewood Park
Stroll around the West End District
Visit Sciworks

Old 02-23-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcm1913 View Post
Eat.
Art classes at Sawtooth.
Movies at a/perture.
Club shows at Ziggy's or the Garage.
Beer (Foothills, Hoots, Small Batch, etc.)
Bike or run on the greenways.
Hike at Pilot Mountain or Hanging Rock.
Sports (Dash baseball, WFU and WSSU sports, etc.)
Lots of different cool stuff at the Community Arts Cafe.
Children's Museum, if you have kids.

There's plenty more. Subscribe to Smitty's Notes if you haven't yet. They keep a great rolling events calendar and their monthly newsletter is a great way to find out about local happenings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point