U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 01:00 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,823,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcm1913 View Post
What are some other things to do in Winston Salem, besides looking at art exhibits and the Hanes Malls?
Hear a great band at the Garage or Ziggy's.

Edit: Oops, missed that in Chicagoans post.

Walk or bike around Salem Lake.
See a race and demolition derby at Bowman Gray Stadium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 07:21 PM

99 posts, read 101,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunketsu View Post
A few off the top of my head:
Old Salem, one of the most unique districts in a North Carolina city
Reynolda Village/Reynolda House/Reynolda Gardens
Historic Bethabara
Tanglewood Park
Stroll around the West End District
Visit Sciworks
Thank you

Old 02-23-2015, 07:23 PM

99 posts, read 101,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Hear a great band at the Garage or Ziggy's.

Edit: Oops, missed that in Chicagoans post.

Walk or bike around Salem Lake.
See a race and demolition derby at Bowman Gray Stadium.
Thank you

Old 02-23-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcm1913 View Post
What are some other things to do in Winston Salem, besides looking at art exhibits and the Hanes Malls?
More:

Dixie Classic Fair
Tubing on the Yadkin River
Farmers market at the fairgrounds
Downtown Winston-Salem Summer Music Series
Texas Pete Culinary Arts Festival
Heavy Rebel Weekender

Old 03-01-2015, 09:06 AM

31 posts, read 54,707 times
I have been to WS three times as my Dad lives there. Omg, I love it. The weather, the people....I'm originally from NYC and I love the friendliness. I've been living in West Michigan since 1985 and I can't take another day of these bull**** winters with unbelievable amounts of lake effect snow (I live 10 minutes from Lake Michigan). Two stories high drifts from the plowed snow.

I did contact my Dad and told him I wanted to relocate. I've looked at apartments. There are a TON in the WS and surrounding areas. The rents are freeking awesome...A 1 bedroom here in a good neighborhood for example is about $700-900. The same type of apartment there $575-700 I've seen some for way less than that too. A lot of complexes. Really beautiful.

I mainly looked on Craigslist and Apartments.com type of things. Why such a vast difference? I couldn't possibly be seeing that many fake pictures and that many typos. I'm feeling really scared to just pack my belongings into my car and heading down. Are these places as nice as they seem with the rents being so reasonable....

I hope I'm on the right thread. I'll be staying with my Dad until I get some footing. He lives in the Hanes mall area I believe 27104 area.

Any thoughts? I'm so conflicted about uprooting and wondering if all these places are too good to be true. My Dad is older and doesn't drive to be able to get out and look for me.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:55 PM

835 posts, read 1,027,381 times
I'd completely avoid craigslist, but that's just me.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:59 PM

4 posts, read 10,053 times
Hello Im looking to relocate from Charleston SC to NC I was wondering if i have an eviction from SC would that hinder me from getting an apartment in NC?

Old 03-01-2015, 03:43 PM

1,486 posts, read 1,701,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl15 View Post
Hello Im looking to relocate from Charleston SC to NC I was wondering if i have an eviction from SC would that hinder me from getting an apartment in NC?
Maybe. Contact the individual apartment owners/managers to find out.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydia415 View Post
I have been to WS three times as my Dad lives there. Omg, I love it. The weather, the people....I'm originally from NYC and I love the friendliness. I've been living in West Michigan since 1985 and I can't take another day of these bull**** winters with unbelievable amounts of lake effect snow (I live 10 minutes from Lake Michigan). Two stories high drifts from the plowed snow.

I did contact my Dad and told him I wanted to relocate. I've looked at apartments. There are a TON in the WS and surrounding areas. The rents are freeking awesome...A 1 bedroom here in a good neighborhood for example is about $700-900. The same type of apartment there $575-700 I've seen some for way less than that too. A lot of complexes. Really beautiful.

I mainly looked on Craigslist and Apartments.com type of things. Why such a vast difference? I couldn't possibly be seeing that many fake pictures and that many typos. I'm feeling really scared to just pack my belongings into my car and heading down. Are these places as nice as they seem with the rents being so reasonable....

I hope I'm on the right thread. I'll be staying with my Dad until I get some footing. He lives in the Hanes mall area I believe 27104 area.

Any thoughts? I'm so conflicted about uprooting and wondering if all these places are too good to be true. My Dad is older and doesn't drive to be able to get out and look for me.
You'd probably have better luck on here if you want to throw out some names of complexes or locations and see if anyone knows anything about them. A better idea would be to have your dad do a ride by of them and see what he thinks about the location.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:22 AM

7,279 posts, read 13,541,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
You'd probably have better luck on here if you want to throw out some names of complexes or locations and see if anyone knows anything about them. A better idea would be to have your dad do a ride by of them and see what he thinks about the location.
I agree with that. What you (lydia) have seen for pricing isn't unbelievable, but both rents and apartment quality can vary widely here. Some of the newer loft complexes have rents well into the 1400-1800 range, while in other areas you can get a nice 2 bedroom for 600.

I will say that Craigslist can be a perfectly reasonable way to find an apartment. I've found several apartments on Craigslist. Lots of reputable management companies post their apartments there, and privately owned houses/condos/duplexes are often only posted on Craigslist and not apartments.com and the like. Just remember that since anyone can say anything on Craigslist, make sure you check the place out thoroughly first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point