Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 07:47 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,960,149 times

Advertisements

As a local of Greensboro and a pretty big fan of Winston, i have this to say about the triad forums. It seems that we only hear about Greensboro. Every single day, it's Greensboro this, Greensboro That. I don't know if it's only because Greensboro is bigger, Or is the biggest city in the Triad; But there is alot going on in Winston aswell. Winston seems to be the underdog on the triad section, yet alot more relevant than say, High point. Which is RARELY if ever mentioned.

I'd love to hear more from some actual Winston locals about your fare city
And whats going on, whats going to happen. I drive there alot, so i see alot of new things,Just never see the story behind the new developments. My favorite is definitely the new mid rise apartments adjacent the Baptist medical childrens facility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 11:35 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
Kind of a backhanded compliment there, but I'll bite.

You're talking about The Edge (and that's actually the entire Baptist Hospital main campus, not just Brenner's Children's Hospital). That complex looks pretty sleek, as does The Link, a similar complex next to BB&T ballpark. The coolest stuff at the moment, though, is probably over in the Wake Forest Innovation Quarter. The WFU med school is moving there, and a cool new park is coming in by Bailey Power Plant.

Other cool stuff on the way:
-ARTivity Green, a privately funded art-themed park adjacent to the Trade St. Art District.
- Right in that neck of the woods, there's a great complex at Trade and 8th/MLK with a coffee/chocolate shop, a distillery and more.
- Work has started on the Pepper Building downtown, which is a beautiful old high rise. Demolition starting on Pepper Building in downtown Winston-Salem; speakeasy, steakhouse and apartments on the way - Greensboro - Triad Business Journal
- I think construction has begun on the new hotel in the Reynolds Building downtown. That building is iconic, and Kimpton has a great track record of making historic properties sing.
- A Mast General Store is opening downtown in May. These places are fantastic.

Those are some of the highlights.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:08 PM

I love the pepperbuilding, it's a taste of the old Winston from a bygone era of industrial domination, it's just cool and i'm glad it's still standing.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:10 PM

108 posts, read 131,747 times
any word on the power plant? are they still trying to do something to redo it like the rest of the buildings in that section?

Old 02-21-2015, 07:07 PM

144 posts, read 264,276 times
Winston Salem is a humble but lively city. It has really evolved beyond my first impressions as a new resident back in 2007. In those days it was convenient to brush off the small-town modesty of WS and look towards Greensboro as "the city." Nowadays however I see Greensboro as what it truly is - a burgeoning mass of sprawl and parking lots.
Something as simple as on street dining has really vitalized downtown Winston Salem, while Greensboro's lone Elm Street is still trying to find its personality.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:09 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchswcupk View Post
any word on the power plant? are they still trying to do something to redo it like the rest of the buildings in that section?
Bailey Power Plant

Old 02-21-2015, 07:58 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,223,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetMission View Post
Nowadays however I see Greensboro as what it truly is - a burgeoning mass of sprawl and parking lots.
Something as simple as on street dining has really vitalized downtown Winston Salem, while Greensboro's lone Elm Street is still trying to find its personality.

what!? Clearly you must be talking about Greensboro back in 1985.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:20 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
what!? Clearly you must be talking about Greensboro back in 1985.
Well, the word "impression" was used which, is not too far from opinion. I must wonder if SM goes outside.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:24 AM

No, none of that in here, please.....This is not a city vs city, this is a thread for Development in Winston Salem. infact, i'm going to request a thread title change.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:55 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
You might consider editing your first post, then. You gave this whole thread a jolt of "poor widdle winston," when in reality that's anything but true, and you yourself referenced Greensboro as a point of comparison from the start. The fact that there are fewer posts on this one board is more an indication of the posting habits of the dozen or so regular posters than anything about the developments in the two cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point